Any ideas on decorating a studio apartment?

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by DDD, May 30, 2011.

1. DDD

DDD Well-Known Member

Although difficult child's disability may not be reinstated I'm trying to figure out how to fix up a studio apartment IF he gets approved and gets to move into the supported living complex. I haven't seen the unit but know it does not have a bedroom, it does have loads of built in storage (which I'm assuming includes space for clothes eliminating the need for a dresser) and all the kitchen essentials (microwave etc).

He is not a neat-nik. In the apartment he had for six months all the furtniture was used....pretty obviously used...and even though he then had a separate bedroom everything was messy or beyond. I think it is important to make "his" home neat & nice as much as possible.

Obviously he needs a futon or a sleeper sofa, lamps and someplace for "company" if he has a visitor to play games or watch tv. I'm thinking less is more but I have no sense of decorating. Is there a web site that features apartment decorating? I have looked for magazines but haven't seen any for small spaces. Once on AOL they had a feature showing NYC small apartments decorated in an appealing way. Any guidance? IF he gets it I don't want GFGmom to load it up with the used, stained, stuff from his first apartment. I hope to get "new" "used" furtniture that will make it welcoming and indicative of a fresh start. DDD

Sense he is sloppy I was thinking maybe cheap leather that can be wiped clean in lieu of fabric that will soon be covered by catsup stains.
  2. HaoZi

HaoZi Guest < also has links to other small space living sites like

Kiddo and I have to share a one bedroom apartment, I used screw-in hooks, dowel rods, and curtains to make her a bedroom in the living room. Doesn't take much to change the color scheme for a different look, either. ;)
  3. TerryJ2

TerryJ2 Well-Known Member

You two have already come up with-the ideas I would have. :) The only other thing I would do is have a bulletin board to pin announcements to, and a calendar on the wall. Oh, and a fabric laundry bag to store dirty clothes, a good habit to get into every day or every other day.
  4. TerryJ2

TerryJ2 Well-Known Member

Hey,that Swiss Army key hack is a really neat idea!
  5. HaoZi

HaoZi Guest

6. DDD

DDD Well-Known Member

Thanks for the direction. Isn't our CD family wonderful? Yeah, team. That will get my juices flowing. DDD
  7. Marcie Mac

Marcie Mac Just Plain Ole Tired

Would suggest not a lot of really DARK stuff - would make the room look smaller. Baskets are always good for storage. Also fold up chairs (the kind you see parents with at kid's soccer games) - some of them come with cup holders. Danny uses these when he has friends over as his room is small, and they don't take up a lot of room when folded up. And a futon/couch cover that is washable. I don't know if you have an IKEA store near where you live - they have tons of different decorated "rooms" and you may pick up some ideas from there on various storage things plus their website has rooms shown

8. DDD

DDD Well-Known Member

Marcie, lol, of course I don't have big stores in our small community BUT we do have a Walmart and a Kmart. Yeah! DDD
  9. susiestar

susiestar Roll With It

Hulu has a show you can watch on the computer about this. It is called Small space big style.

They have six episodes that are a bit over twenty min each. Much of the things are expensive and not doable in a rental place, but can be adapted to a small budget and a rental. I have gotten some cool ideas from the show.
  10. skeeter

skeeter New Member

when my son was living in a similar apartment, he got a loft bed with a futon under it. He had a small table with two chairs for dining/computer work.
  11. 1905

1905 Well-Known Member

DDD- Roomstogo. Go to the website, the highest quality furniture for a fraction of the cost of what you see elsewhere. The are in FLA, but deliver anywhere.