Apartment search continues and I'm getting nervous.

Californiablonde

Well I just applied to the low income apartment on my lunch break. I told the guy a little bit about my credit. He said that they are mostly concerned with bankrupties and rental histories. So I am crossing my fingers I get it. I find out by the end of today. I am nervous! So I am trying to keep myself busy at work till I find out. Luckily this application fee was much lower that the last. Only $15. I actually like this apartment better than the other one I got turned down for. So saying prayers!

buddy

It sounds so much better. I pray it works out. My sister lived in a section 8 with three bedrooms for years. Very nice two story. She has been able to make life better for her kids and is saving for a house. It is a good program for many people.

Crossing my fingers for you.....

Californiablonde

I am about to leave work now. Still haven't heard anything. The office closes in an hour so hoping they call me back before then. Will update on Monday. Have a great weekend y'all.

Californiablonde

RAre that I log in here On a Friday night but here I am. The apartments never called me back so I'm assuming I didn't get it. Going to call tomorrow just to aske sure bit I'm sure it's a no. Oh well on to the next one.

DDD

I don't know if this might help but here are some random ideas:
1. Are you going alone to seek out apartments? If not...do. Don't take a kid or a friend. You want to be the focus.
2. Are you emphasizing the strong points of having you as a tenant? For example, "I have lived here for x years and this is my hometown. I have stable employment working for the XYC school system at the high school near this apt.
3. Although I have had my pet for many years I am willing to find a new home for her if you prefer no pets.
4. I have no small children so there is no concern about bothering other tenants.
5. I have a letter from my current landlord attesting to the fact that my rent has been paid in a timely manner and that I maintain a clean home.
6. Although I have paid my rent in a timely fashion I did make a mistake by overlooking the separate water bill. I have always leased with water included in the rent and unfortunately I forgot that new obligation.
7. We are a quiet family and do not entertain multiple guests. On occasion we I have a friend over for dinner but we are not "party" people.

Perhaps a list pointing out your positive points might emphasize your honesty and desireability. Hugs DDD

Tiapet

Old Hand
Hi CA, I've been following this thread and didn't really know what to offer you but I did have a thought since it seems you are really having a hard time of it. As others mentioned about the current manager sharing the information with your mother, you "may" actually be able to use that as some leverage in your case right not.

How? Let me share with you. First of all you can approach it from 2 angles. The first, if you choose, is perhaps the best one for you if you WANT to stay put. Write up a letter and get it notarized stating your intent to take legal action against them for sharing private financial (and if there was other personal information) with another party that was an illegal violation. I may be able to find an actual statue in the law for CA for you before Monday but if others would assist it would be appreciated too as my time is limited. At the bottom, make sure you put CC/attorney. Yes I put that right just "attorney". You won't need a name in this case. Present that to the manager of the complex. Explain to him that since he violated your rights you are requesting that either A) he allows you to remain on the property with a new lease(essentially giving you a 2nd chance with the water bill situation and you can literally say this if you like) or B) he allows you to remain until you can find suitable housing otherwise and have not been able to obtain such at this time and have a minor child to consider. It's his choice (and the properties) if they seek to undertake a law suit or would rather settle this equitably. Chances are, I bet they settle. Let him run it by their lawyer too because the law IS on your side at this point in time. The other thing that can be added is, if you can look in your handbook or lease itself, is if there is anything WRITTEN about being given notice about the water bill and non payment affecting your ability to renew a lease. There should be something IN WRITING stating that this would take place either immediately (as in you would not be able to renew, evicted, or you would be given a warning).

Someone else may be able to add to what I've written here. I believe firmly in "where there is a will there is a way" and in this case....your manager just gave you some more ammunition to find another way! :)

I hope this might help you in some way.