difficult child slapped his teacher

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Shoes have been an issue lately, and he had them off in class. He asked to get a drink, and was told he had to put his shoes on. When he got up to do so, he yanked a younger child's feet. When a teacher offered to help him with his shoes, he slapped her.

He has regained control, but I have to pick him up as soon as the school day ends - no extended care for him today.

PS - NOT the teacher he has trouble with, tho I have a feeling it is because of that.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
What are you going to do? I am so sorry... When I was in K's class 2 weeks ago, T the boy who is a tad worse than K, he shows all of his pleasant behaviours in class, yeah, well he took his shoes off. I guess he does this a lot, sensory. He threw them out of the door. Miss T was so cool about it, she ignored it because he was already worked up. He ran outside, and was disasociating at the time. So she just watched him. He never had to put his shoes back on until he was calm and he did it on his own. I was very impressed.
I actually helped him tie them.

I don't know what the answers are for each child or in different schools. It is such a huge sad thing. But I know watching T, Miss T just basket "C'd" the whole thing and it worked...

I am sorry you are having to deal with so many issues right now.

trinityroyal

Poor, struggling difficult child.
Is there anything that the school can do to ease up a bit?
Let him wear slippers or something while he's in the building and only change to outdoor shoes or boots when outside? Something?

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Yeah I was thinking about slippers also, N is having huge shoe issues right now also.
Will only wear loose slip ons...

Andy

Poor difficult child, I think you are right that it has to do with the other teacher. That other teacher has him feeling so trapped that he doesn't see a way out and everything will test his patience.

I hope this teacher was understanding and didn't belittle him over it.

Jena

hi,

i'm sorry to hear yet another rough day, sorry i'm late to this just got on for first time today. I think it's from experience with teacher yesterday also. What happened with that?

So, sheesh fun never ends for you, huh..? Did you talk to the doctor, maybe you can see if he thinks there is an association between the both incidents. I mean I get that you have to talk to difficult child about it, yet he could of been triggered from yesterday and pent up and just lashed out due to her ridiculous attitude.

i hope you guys have a calm night. i am sorry to hear it's been another rough one. Let us know how it's going.

(((( hugs))))

TerryJ2

Oh dear!
Did the teacher call you or did you just get a note?
How does difficult child feel about it? Any remorse?
What about the shoes? I like the idea of slippers.

M

ML

I too like the idea of slippers. Some of them look like regular shoes even.

I'm really sorry you've had two rough days in a row. I hope tomorrow brings a glimmer of improvement and hope.

ML

Star*

call 911........call 911
When this "almost" became an issue with Dude WE were told if he hit the teacher or slapped her or EVEN slammed a door - they would have him arrested for assualt and/or property damage......

I think your son is very lucky not to be sitting in Department of Juvenile Justice today.

Hugs for your heart.

BestICan

This community rocks.
I'm so sorry to hear about this! My difficult child once threw something at his first grade teacher. They sent him right home and I was *so* mad about it but I think that he actually learned something from the experience and never did it again.

I guess I'm curious about what kind of slap it was. Not than any slapping is OK, obviously, and any contact like that should be treated with immediate consequences, but...was it a swat on the hand, or a hard slap in the face? Know what I mean??

In my difficult child's case there were differing stories about the throw, he says he tossed something for the teacher to catch, she says he flung it at her in anger. Both bad ideas, but for kids with impulse control the difference is very important to me because it might be helpful to know if *any* impulse control came into play.

I hope things get better for you. I know in my difficult child's case, over the past 3 years of maturity has made an enormous difference. He still has troubles in the classroom setting but nothing like he used to.

Fran

Former desparate mom
Shari, I'm sorry to hear that difficult child is still struggling.
Do you think a stay home day until he settles down would help. When difficult child was in a downward spiral, I just kept him home. It only happened once or twice a year. We could tell the days when difficult child was just going to fall apart and it seemed wise to keep the stimulation and demands to a minimum.
Hang in there.