Feet falling asleep

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Lately I have been having a little "issue"...my feet, on the bottoms, directly in front of the heel bone (where the plantar tendon is) have been falling asleep or otherwise going numb. Doesn't seem to matter what shoes I wear...and its really annoying. Any ideas why? Should I be concerned?

flutterby

Fly away!
How often is it happening and for how long does it last? Have you changed the way you are sitting or standing - maybe because of an injury or pain?

Otherwise, I'm thinking nerve issue. Either the nerve itself (neuropathy) or inflammation compressing the nerve.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
That's a common place for both tendonitis and bone spurs. I'd recommend a talk with a doctor as foot numbness can also be a sign of diabetes. Talking to your GP to get checked out, and followup with an orthopedist if needed.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
No pain beyond normal, just the fuzzy feeling. Nothing has changed except I've spent more time this winter on my butt than ever before in my life....

I've had tendonitis in that tendon before and venture a guess I do again, but this wasn't something I experienced with it before.

KTMom91

No idea...I had plantar fasciitis in both feet...OMG...I literally couldn't walk for about a week. I had to crawl to the bathroom. The nurse in the podiatrist's office got way snippy when I said the pain was at a 9..."well, you couldn't walk at a 7," and after I pointed out that I'd been crawling, she shut up. Steroid shots in both feet, lots of tears and pain medications...and I still have trouble.

Have you been wearing new shoes that press on your feet differently? Since you've been sitting more, maybe your feet are out of shape? Just trying to think of anything here...

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I had fasciitis in one and ended up tearing that tendon...the steroid shots? OMG. Don't care to do that again. Any of it, really.

I am hoping its just being out of shape.

Stirrups hit at the balls of your feet - or supposed to. I'm usually pretty good about keeping them there, but ya know, my left foot will go to sleep sometimes when I ride a long time....hm....

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
It could be the riding. I've had problems with the fronts of my feet going numb for years. Only happened when riding an English saddle. No problem with a Western or Plantation saddle.

Do get it checked because of the relationship between foot numbness and diabetes.