T

TeDo

I was told that medications that are kept at a certain level can be stopped immediately because the body slowly releases what's already there. That's why they said it will take 4-6 weeks for the prozac to totally leave difficult child 1's system. There are some that can't be and I'm not sure which ones those are. That would definitely be a question for the psychiatrist. When you request a medication wash, they "should" tell you if any of them have to be tapered.

InsaneCdn

Weekends and routine...

First thing is... keep the start of the day close to "normal". Do NOT sleep in. Until you get a routine well established, sleeping in can be a major factor. The whole wake/prep/breakfast cycle needs to be consistent.

THEN... look at having a structure at home specific to Saturday (to also be used for one-day holidays...)
He needs to know what to expect, when to expect it, what will happen next...

And yes... it stinks. I really like one sleep-in a week, too, but... it doesn't work for the rest of us.

Steely

The docs should know how to do a medication wash. They should know how to taper them, and which ones, for which length of time - and what the side effects are as they are going off of them.

DammitJanet

Tenex and clonodine are hypertensives which are used off label for behavior issues in our kids.

the stimulant category of medications are used for adhd/add on this board. They can also be used for some other things but I dont think anyone on here is on them for anything else.

Mood stabilizers are used in one of the mood spectrum disorders which can run from pure mania all the way down to major depressive disorder but is most often used with bipolar disorder.

The SSRI's/SNRI's are the "newer" forms of anti-depressants such as prozac, paxil, zoloft, cymbalta, wellbutrin. You are on one of the older tricyclics such as amytripiline, noratripiline, trazadone. There is also a class called MAOI inhibitors that you really dont want to go to. Yucky stuff.

The anti-psychotics are mostly used on this board as an adjunct to either a mood stabilizer or an anti-depressant. Sometimes a psychiatrist will use an AP alone but in my opinion that is foolish and just a stop gap and not the end of the game.

Oh, there is another class that you are on and that is the benzodiazapams. Those are for anxiety and most doctors will only leave a person on them for a short period of time. That is the lorazapam you are on. I believe that is restoril if I am not mistaken. Restoril is used mostly for sleep and I have trialed it before but it doesnt work well for me. I have about a quarter of a bottle here.

Not knowing exactly what you need to know and what you have tried, I felt the best thing I could do is give you the medication info so you could have some working knowledge before you talked to the doctor.

InsaneCdn

the stimulant category of medications are used for adhd/add on this board. They can also be used for some other things but I dont think anyone on here is on them for anything else.
Also used for narcoplexy... (difficulty staying awake) - that's probably why you were given these, Janet...

The anti-psychotics are mostly used on this board as an adjunct to either a mood stabilizer or an anti-depressant. Sometimes a psychiatrist will use an AP alone but in my opinion that is foolish and just a stop gap and not the end of the game
... or an adjunct to a stimulant, to deal with executive functions issues that the stims don't touch (among other things).

Crystal72

Thanks. I will let you guys updated.
Actually amytrypline and lorezepram that I am taking now was leftover from before. I was seeing psychiatrist before and put on citalopram, zoloft, Prozac, and a couple others but beside giving me migraines, they don't help. I function on what I called my stubborn willful mind. Yes like things like this happened, I would sink for a minute but I usually able to pull myself up pretty fast. Taking them is just to force myself to shut off the brain and sleep.

By the way, anyone uses anything for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)?

Crystal72

Weekends and routine...

First thing is... keep the start of the day close to "normal". Do NOT sleep in. Until you get a routine well established, sleeping in can be a major factor. The whole wake/prep/breakfast cycle needs to be consistent.

THEN... look at having a structure at home specific to Saturday (to also be used for one-day holidays...)
He needs to know what to expect, when to expect it, what will happen next...

And yes... it stinks. I really like one sleep-in a week, too, but... it doesn't work for the rest of us.

I guess the reason why we let him sleep is cos we had already the fear that the minute he is awake, there be no peace

keista

The docs should know how to do a medication wash. They should know how to taper them, and which ones, for which length of time - and what the side effects are as they are going off of them.
Steely, they *should* but this is the doctor that doesn't think adderal xr can cause aggression.

Crystal, there is no medication specific for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD). However Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) is a branch of anxiety, so an anxiety medication may be considered. Enter clonidine again. It is also used off label for anxiety.

On rare occasion, I give DD1 benadryl when she get excessively obsessed about something. The mild sedative affect of benadryl seems to help a bit. BUT DD1's Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) is very situational and with my *new* perspective on her, probably perseveration more than Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD). In the short term, at least, pretty much the same thing.

buddy

Yes but I was just concerned because crystal said she was going to ask to stop all medications immediately...I think....
Just wondering if she should say she wants a medication wash starting with the adderal xr???

Crystal72

I will let the psychiatric hospital psychiatrist knows my concern about adderall xr and see what they says
I can't use Benadryl on my kids. It got them more irritable

Steely

How is it going today Crystal - were you able to have any good dialogue with the Dr about discontinuing medications, starting new ones, testing, etc.?

Thinking of you.

Crystal72

Just met up with the psychiatrist and social worker at the psychiatric hospital. I requested for testings and removing the adderall xr and the possibility of trying new medications like tenex or other possibilities

Update: psychiatrist in psychiatric hospital just informed me that they will remove his adderall xr right away and be doing tests and we will meet up again to discuss medication plan

Sounds good? Or is there anything I didn't do?

Last edited:

buddy

how did they respond to you Crystal, you sound like you went into full blown warrior mode.... AWESOME job!

Crystal72

I did an update on my last post
psychiatrist stopping adderall xr immediately and doing ADHD and other tests. After that try new drugs under their care

buddy

I did an update on my last post
psychiatrist stopping adderall xr immediately and doing ADHD and other tests. After that try new drugs under their care

Oh sorry, I missed it somehow.... sorry about that. Oh good. I am glad you are getting some input from them too.

buddy

i hear ya. I just told difficult child I wont be coming to see him tonight. first time not going there. He is NOT happy. He asked if I would go get him candy and I said yes, there are three people trick and treating for him. he will probably end up with more than he ever had in his life. He still got so upset and I had to hang up on him. I am just exhausted. IF you lived close, and a few other cd boarders, we all could go have our own halloween party/break! some mama time off.