How furious should I be?

keista

Every year the kids are supposed to pick their classes for the following year. Papers are handed out and they have to be returned to the school with a parent's signature. It's about that time of year so I started asking son if he got it yet. As always, he's not sure. Searches his backpack and finds and informational page about graduation requirements but that's it. So I email guidance counselor and ask about it.

THEY WERE DUE BACK MID FEBRUARY.:imok: Really? I mean REALLY??????????? Now I totally get son not realizing this. He has right on his IEP that he gets extra time to hand things in because he simply forgets, but NO ONE from the school follows up with me about it?????????????????????

So I emailed back asking for a MEETING - yes, we will meet in person to make sure everyone does what they are supposed to do - so we can pick his classes and I stated that I was a 'bit' upset that no one contacted me regarding this.

So, eah, I'm just looking for a validation gauge. Did I use enough caps and indignant question marks in my post or can I use some more? Or should it I have used fewer?

TerryJ2

I hear you!

They dropped the ball. So did difficult child.

Now he's stuck with-the consequences ... a class or two he does not want. (Don't tell him, but students drop classes, so there may be an opening in something in particular in Sept.)

I was shocked when I discovered that my son had handed his in on time. I expected more of what you are experiencing.

InsaneCdn

I'm on the opposite end of this. I have it on my calendar when I set up the school schedule for the year. So, I start chasing them (school and difficult child) come about Jan 15

If I didn't? your story would be my story, punctuation and all.

keista

Insane, If I knew when it was supposed to happen, I would have had it marked. It's different every year. PITA! So yeah, now I'm chasing them :sigh:

InsaneCdn

Ya. It's different every year here, too... it changes by grade. But it NEVER starts before Jan 15. So I start hunting on Jan 15. <grin>

buddy

I would be furious. Even in the school we just left (not so happy etc...) every single schedule time was coordinated by the case manager. She makes sure all of the kids have a schedule and contacts the parents. Honestly, it is ridiculous to not notice if a child on your case load does not have a schedule! I vote for yes, you can be very very upset. But I'd hold off on rage unless he can't get into a class you want for him!!!!!!!

DammitJanet

I had to look at your signature to see the age of your son. 16 means yes he does have to pick his classes for the next quarter/semester. It this particular topic covered in his IEP? Not just a general timing issue but specifically about picking his classes. If not, I would add it ASAP. I would make sure that they put in there that you are to be notified 2 weeks in advance of the "start" time for picking classes along with a list of the classes so you can go over them with him.

InsaneCdn

Keista and Insane, I need to take organizational lessons from you! :)
:rofl:

Trust me, Terry. NOBODY wants organizational lessons from me!
(good thing there is no webcam on my computer...)

But, necessity is the mother of invention, they say. So... I live by my computerized calendars (yes, plural... three and counting). If it isn't in THERE, I don't know about it.

B

Bunny

I would not be pleased. The guidance counselor should know which students have not handed that information in and they should be on the phone to the parents asking if their child gave it to them for review and signature. I realize the GC have alot to do, but this is a big part of their jobs. It was handled poorly.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Jett did his 2 weeks ago. Yep. IN CLASS. Parental signature? Bah! Who needs it? He never brought the list of classes home. I'm guessing (HOPING) he had help from sped... But... Yeah. Should be interesting in his IEP meeting.

keista

Keista and Insane, I need to take organizational lessons from you! :)
Yeah, you don't want to do that. It's not organization, it's just mental notes I keep cluttering my mind with. I do mental notes because my physical life is full of clutter as well. Not a pretty sight

keista

Yeah, I'll have to add it to the IEP.

It really is pretty stupid. You pick classes, they can't place you in them, they place you wherever they want. BUT it's the principle of the thing. They are forever encouraging sin to advocate for himself, and me to back off so he learns to do this stuff himself, and they're not even there to give him a tad bit of guidance. OY!

I think I'm having my evening cocktail early today.

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Keista--

You are preaching to the choir on this one, I think!

At difficult child's school - the guidance office requires every parent to sign up for a mandatory meeting to pick next year's classes before they will even issue THIS year's text books. (IOW - you show up to get your books on the first day and they make you sign and appointment sheet for February.) I asked what happened if the day on the sign-up sheet turns out to be a conflict?

Oh well, if that's the case - they just go ahead and pick classes for you...

Errr....????

No what's the point of scheduling a "mandatory" meeting if it makes no difference whether you are there or not???

Yeah, I'd be ticked off. At school and difficult child. DJ had a good idea - get it included in his IEP for next year - that way they will be required to keep on top of it.

This should be a guidance counsellor thing that is followed up on within 2 weeks of the due date.

tiredmommy

Another mom saw my calendar and things to do lists and activity lists and said.... "WTH is this?". :rofl:

Seriously, get it added ASAP and make sure he isn't penalized as this was a manifestation of his condition.