How involved should I get?

DammitJanet

Im not surprised. Also do remember you are only hearing difficult child's side of the story that the doctor said she isnt an addict. Also I am pretty sure no one wants to think of themselves as an addict. Who would? When you think of that term, you think of dark alley's and skid row not middle class teens from good homes. They want to think they are just having fun.

I cant wait to hear what the doctor put her on for her moods. Oh...trazadone worked well for me for awhile until it started making me more manic. That sucked.

Kathy813

Staff member
Janet, I always keep in mind that I am hearing difficult child's point of view of what someone has said. LOL

She has told me at different times (rehab, sober house, and psychiatrist) that she has been told that she is not an addict. When she first came out of rehab she described herself as a binge addict which I think is closer to the truth.

What the psychiatrist might have meant is that difficult child has never been physically addicted to drugs or alcohol. She has never needed to detox . . . she seems to be able to stop at will and go for long periods of time without using. That doesn't mean that I don't think for a second that she doesn't have substance abuse issues and she agrees to that, too. Also, the combination of drinking and using prescription medications alone says that she has major SA issues.

I guess it is all in the definition. I don't care what we call her . . . she needs to stay away from drugs and alcohol and she needs help with her mood disorder. So far, she has not taken us up on our offer on the DBT treatment.

~Kathy

susiestar

Roll With It
(((((hugs)))))

This is a very difficult situation on every level. She is really blessed to have you for a mom. I hope that she can truly see that and appreciate it before much longer.

Is there a family owned, local drugstore in her area? If there is, you might be able to arrange to have her medications delivered to the sober house directly to the director. We have a couple who will do this for little if any fee. One of the things I LOVE about life in a town like ours is that we still have some mom and pop places that will help you out with things like this.