If I hear this one more time......

C.J.

"It's not what you say, necessarily, it's the TONE in which you say it."

I try nice twice. When I raise my voice, N* moves. She's trained me well - Louder works!

cadydid

Oh where do I begin...

1) "I forgot" This can apply to everything and anything. It is the one phrase they know will burn my rear faster than anything, yet it is the one they use the most.:mad:

2) Where is my ??? I hardly have the time to keep track of everything I have to keep track of.. What makes you think I can track everything you can't? Not to mention you can keep track of your games or your cell phones, but you can't keep track of oh I don't know your shoes???:whiteflag:

3) "What's for dinner"? Now this in itself is not a bad question except for when a) they ask it right after breakfast 2) When they call me at work to ask nothing more than that question or the worst time when Im sick in bed with a 103 fever and can't keep water down let alone think of what to cook for dinner.:sick::faint:

jannie

trying to survive....
When I tell people I am a Special Education teacher...I hate when they reply...well you must be a really special person.....

Abbey

Spork Queen
Let's see...

For years I got the 'you're so strong' thing. I have a PhD in faking.

Now I get the 'you're being weak.' You want to see weak? I will KICK YOUR ARSE!! Now let's talk about being weak.

I also hate the 'come sit and talk.' I'm in the middle of doing dishes or something and it's like being called into the principal's office.

Abbey

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Then of course it's the big one.... How are difficult child 1 & difficult child 2 doing these days? This question is the most dreaded because if they were doing better or accomplishing something believe me I would tell them.

I cannot believe I forgot this one, Beth. I HATE when people ask me in the same question how difficult child and easy child are doing, because it's heartbreaking for me to have to tell them - honestly, the disparity between the direction of their lives is so starkly opposite, it makes me cringe these days. When H recently went to FL to see his parents and I bowed out, the one thing I was grateful for was that I wouldn't be there to answer that question!! I hope he fielded it well.

everywoman

My very favorite:
"Oh, you teach school. It must be wonderful having all that time off."

As if each summer I don't take classes, teach classes, hone my skills. And do you really think I leave here at 2:56 each day when the students do. How do you think papers and grades and lesson plans for 150+ students actually gets done? By magic? Or the good teacher fairy steps in and does it for me? Or better yet, I don't do anything to grade or work on!!!!

KTMom91

EW, along those lines..."You're a substitute teacher? So you basically just babysit, right?"

Yup, that's right. That's all it is. 35 of them at a time.

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
Mine is the dreaded......."Can I ask you a personal question?" It just strikes fear in my heart....... the questioner usually goes on to ask something inane like what detergent I use, but for that brief second my mind is filled with all kinds of personal questions......

And I too hate when people ask about my son...... many know not to bring up the subject, but some innocently ask about my children and I usually just tell them about my easy child daughter..........

"Oh, mine did that also when he was younger, he'll grow out of it."

"You just need to be more firm and more strict with him."

This one makes me want to punch the person who asks it.....

"He autistic? Like in the movie Rainman?"

Believe it or not, I've been asked this several times over the years.

And just when you have had the worst day with your difficult child and you are venting to a family member, your mother or whatever, you get the dreaded:

"Welcome to parenthood".

Are you serious? Like theses kids are normal in their behaviors. These people have NO idea what it is like and should NEVER generalize....

Argh.

crazymama30

He'll grow out of it. Yeah, whatever.

Or people who make comments about medicating kids because the parents cannot handle them

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
TM, I used to say that. (cowering to corner now....I have since been educated - not once, but twice)

My mom says "this too shall pass", too. Drives me crazy. So do kidney stones, and while you're sitting there enduring that wonderful event in life, you aren't saying "this is all gonna be just GREAT!"

Recently, she told me I just need to adjust my attitude. I went on a tyrade last week after difficult child's second suspension. Basically, I verbalized what we all feel a good chunk of the time - "is this gonna be worth it?" I live in a very old house, I drive very old cars, all to give difficult child the best shot I can.

Boy, did I get a new behind out of that one... Sheesh. I survived difficult child 1 for 15 years. I am onto difficult child 2. 17 years of difficult child's and 12 to go til this one's an adult (and we all know that's a magical number in which children are no longer difficult child's who wreak havoc on their parents lives....) I'm entitled to one night of griping about it.

DazedandConfused

TM: I also said no medications for my kids. Got all high n' mighty about it too. Sure got MY comeuppance.

I haven't gotten anything lately. However, when Daughter was diagnosed with Leukemia I used to get all the time: "I don't know if I could do it" when referring to the rigorous treatment regimen and all the time we spend in hospitals along the balancing act with chemo.

Finally, my sister in law said it to me and it was just once too many. I responded deadpan, "So, you would just let your child die?"

I know she was really saying she admired my strength, but at the time I was just so sick of hearing it.

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
However, when Daughter was diagnosed with Leukemia I used to get all the time: "I don't know if I could do it" when referring to the rigorous treatment regimen and all the time we spend in hospitals along the balancing act with chemo.

Finally, my sister in law said it to me and it was just once too many. I responded deadpan, "So, you would just let your child die?"

Dazed--

I know exactly what you mean....I've done the same sort of thing myself.

Long story short--I have had digestive issues for years...and as a result of constantly struggling with eating, I am very thin. For whatever reason, total strangers feel free to approach me in public and make comments about my weight and demand to know my "secret".

A woman that I had never met in my life began to make such a scene about how great it would be if I could just give her the "magic formula" for being skinny...and I had had enough!! So I replied "If you must know, I have a condition that makes it difficult to eat--Are you sure you'd like me to give it to you?".

I never saw a woman look so embarassed, shocked, and ashamed--and I immediately felt bad that I said anything.

But after all, I am not the one that was making insensitive comments that were none of her business to begin with!!

Where is Miss Manners when we need her?

--DaisyF

Star*

call 911........call 911
Oh .....I have a winner -

Upon telling my boss that our "other" son had died. He said (and I quote)

BUMMER.

If I hear bummer never again it could be too soon.

And like I like want to like talk to you like about your like son's like thing.

HOW OLD ARE YOU ANYWAY -

OH I like graduated early - but I'm 23.
(recent therapist at mental health)

Even DUde said -
Like how can she like help me like if she's like only like 4 years like older than like me..? and bobbed his head and pretended to flick his hair.