sad news

K

Kjs

I have written and deleted so many times the last few days. I guess it just feels better to write it down, then realize it isn't worth wasting everyone's time.

Homework/me/difficult child don't mix.

Today is very sad. I wrote Monday, Chloe, my almost 8 year old dog-my first ever dog, she tore her ACL on Monday. husband had to take her in. He was told surgery was between 1200 - 1400 to repair.

Today I took her for a second opinion. What I was told was $1400 to repair. There is a 50% chance of her other ACL going out within 6 weeks of this injury. Regardless of whether or not surgery was done this is the risk.

If we were to choose to leave her, we would just keep her comfortable on pain medications and try to keep her down and resting.

If someone were to tell me this, I would tell them they are nuts...it's a dog. But now I find myself in that position. chloe is my baby. She has always been MY baby.

We don't have the money to have her leg repaired.

I told easy child. I also told him if her other one goes out, it would be immediately that we put her down. He said he would never forgive me if I didn't give him the chance to say good bye. What if he isn't here?

husband has had 4 dogs in his life. Never put any down. Had to give two away due to moving. The other two he left. And to think when I met him he told me he liked dogs better than kids.

I don't want Chloe to die alone. But I don't think I can be there. I don't think I can handle that. Heck - I can't handle this news.

Then there is difficult child. What do I tell him. HOW do I tell him.

Last night was a total full blown fight. Kitchen chair seems to be the object of choice these days. He said he HATES his life and I just don't understand.

Thank you for listening.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I wish I had answers that made it all better, but I don't. Just know we're here and care. And its NOT wasting time to reach out when you're hurting.

hugs

Last edited:

jal

I'm so sorry. Our pets are just like our children (only they don't talk back). 2 yrs ago we had to put down our 14.5 yr old Rottweiler because of old age. It's painful but understandable to let them go with-dignity and so much harder and unfair when they are healthy.

FWIW...My last boss had 2 large black labs and one tore the ACL a hind leg. They did have it repaired and it was successful. Would your vet work with you on cost or a payment plan?

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I'm so sorry you're faced with this decision and have to be the strong one once again. It's an awful thing to even have to think about. Losing our furbabies is awful in and of itself, but having to make the decision is far worse.

I send you strength and courage to do what you feel is right for Chloe. I had to be that person a few years back with our first dog. It was so difficult. H wouldn't even help me dig the hole to bury him and he even tried to make me feel guilty for something that was really out of my hands. Ggfg handled it okay initially and then later with a lot of crying. Eventually she felt better - it took all of us time to move forward, but you do.

Hugs, Kjs.

shad16_12

HI KJS...Try asking local rescues or shelters if they have funds available to help with the operation. Put up ads in pet stores...I know ive seen ads on Kajiji, people appealing for assistance for surgeries their pets need...anywhere there are dog lovers...someone might help. Ask the vets in your area if they know of any services that may help. Sonja

Star*

call 911........call 911
KJS,

I love my dogs. I love my dogs more than most people because my dogs treat me like I treat them and other people. It's why we get attached, it's why we worry about them and consider them furry people and not just dogs.

As far as easy child I know exactly what you mean. Dude calls our dogs his brothers. I think now would be a good time to get some great pictures and maybe even do a scrap book and show Cloe - how much you love her.

In the mean time? Take her home, build her a ramp, manage her pain, ace wrap her leg and check around - maybe you could get a part time job making the money for the surgery? You have a little time to decide what is best - make the most of it.

I'm really sorry for your hurting heart - hugs & paws
Star

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Ps, KJS, I have had to make this decision before. Not a lot, but a few times. It hoovers. But in my experiences, they have let me know when the time had come, when they were tired of the fight.

'Chelle

I'm very sorry about your baby. Sometimes it's almost what pets become to us, like another child. They do for me. I've had to make this hard choice too, and know how much you're hurting. {{{HUGS}}}}

rejectedmom

I'm sorry you are going through this. It is so hard when we have to make hard decisions for our beloved pet. I hope that you will be able to find peace with whatever decision you make in regards to Cloe. (((HUGS to you)))) -RM

Last edited:

mom_to_3

I'm sorry you're hurting too. My little dog IS my son. I've had to experience two times putting our pets down. It came to a point that it wasn't about MY / OUR feelings but what we could do to comfort our pet. We couldn't stand to see our babies in pain. Both times it was hopeless. If it's any consolation, it was not scary or bad. It was very peaceful and I felt a sense of relief that our fur baby was no longer in pain. It was the kindest thing I could do for them. I hope you'll be able to explain it to your family that way and they'll be accepting. I'm sending good thoughts your way.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
(((((hugs))))))

I'm so sorry. I know I worry about my furbabies the same as I do my kids. Maybe it's crazy, but that's just the way it is.

Give chloe plenty of TLC and pray for the best. Sometimes our furbabies can bounce back and surprise us.

Give chloe a hug from me and my fur family.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Kjs, my sweet Chelsea will be 14 next month. Two years ago she blew her right hind knee and needed surgery. I got it for her. It was so horrendous, recovery was long and so painful that I promised her I'd never let her go through it again.

But it helped.

Six months ago........you guessed it......she blew her left hind knee. This poor sweet soul. The vet said the right one that had surgery on it two years ago was so weak it could go anytime again. And now this.

I opted to give her pain medications, to use a towel around her belly to support her hind end to help her move around (ask your vet to show you how to do this). I already had a ramp built in the back. And slowly but surely this gentle old lady is making do.

Don't give up yet.

Hugs,
Suz