What are we having for Thanksgiving???

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Well considering our past couple of weeks, lots of good times!!! husband is not letting me cook!!! He does not like turkey that much anyway...
So he is taking us out to dinner!!! Me and the girls and our friend Uncle T. He is most likely BiPolar (BP) also, he is our single 38yo kid who the girls love!!!

We will watch the games and have some apps. go eat early, back home. Lay around watch some more football, maybe go for a walk... eat some more. I will most likely make a bunch of snacks and deserts.

I don't mind cooking, we are waiting for a reservation confirmation. So I may have to scramble to get my menu together if I am going to cook...

Prime Rib, Ham or Turkey???

What is everyone cooking, doing, going, having over...

I will be thankful for every moment of calm... and my family being together.

mom_to_3

We still all go to our parents house for the holidays. There are five children in our family and we are all in the same state except for one brother. So, the kids, spouses and grandchildren all head out to my parents home. My mom and dad always make the turkey for Thanksgiving and a few other staples and the rest of us bring sides dishes and deserts. This year I am having an eye surgery the day before Thanksgiving, so I get light duty. The day before my surgery I will prepare candied sweet potatoes, deviled eggs and two pumpkin pies. My easy child daughters will take my place on Thanksgiving and help my mother set the table and prepare other dishes.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Prime rib..............drooooool! :spaghetti:

Nope, I'm not having prime rib. But God I'd love to. YUM

Thanks to easy child, we're having turkey, sweetpotatoes with marshmellows, broccoli and cheese casserole, shrimp cocktail, mashed potatoes, stuffing, gravy, rolls, cranberry sauce, and of course pumpkin pie with REAL whipped cream.

Poor girl picked up all but the turkey (Nichole's b/f's parents gave us that) and now has to work so might not get to eat any of the dinner unless I can talk her into grabbing a plate to take to work with her. :frown:

But she agreed to work Thanksgiving so she could be home on Christmas Eve with Darrin.

Tink will more than likely be with her dad and Grandmother, considering the recent loss of her Grandfather.

Which leaves me to choose between my own mom (who is going to her sister's sister-in-law) or my dad (his house, he cooks, football, my brothers will be there...)

I think I'll go to dad's.

He makes a MEAN turkey and a killer stuffing.

I'll bring corn casserole, mashed potatoes, sauteed asparagus, and sweet potato pie.

And we will eat until we can't move.

SRL

Well, I haven't received the invite or request to bring food yet, but we'll be at the inlaws and I can tell you what the menu will be ;). Traditional turkey, sweet potatoes (the kind with the syrup and marshmallows on top), lowfat mashed potatoes, stuffing, hot fruit, a few misc salads, (jello and the like), rolls, pecan and pumpkin pie.

Here's a fast and easy recipe that goes wonderfully with tukey and ham. It's the kind of thing you can keep ingredients on hand for and toss together at the last minute.

Hot Spiced Fruit

Mix together
One 29 oz can pear slices, drained
One 29 oz can apricots, drained
One 29 oz can peach slices, drained
1/2 cup pecan halves, crumbled
¼ cup raisins

Pour in ½ small can (3 oz.) frozen orange juice concentrate, undiluted.

Sprinkle with
1/3 cup brown sugar (or to taste)
½ tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp nutmeg
¼ tsp cloves

Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or heat in a crockpot until heated throughout.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
"WE" are going to be waited on hand & foot at my father's home. Each of my brother's & my dad will be in charge of a turkey (that 3 turkeys folks). One in the oven, one on the grill & the third in the turkey fryer.

My sisters & SILs will be taking care of the rest.

My dad told me to just show up with my family & enjoy the food.

No recipes to share this year - just not cooking.

Wiped Out

Staff member
I'll be cooking turkey, maple glazed carrots, potatoes (thinking of doing twice baked this year), and stuffing. easy child is going to make an apple pie. My dad's wife is bringing a rhubarb dessert and my brother is bringing cheese and crackers for a snack during the game.

My dad and is wife are coming. Also coming are my brother and his wife, one of their son's and his girlfriend, and their daughter.

The only problem is I'm going to be gone this weekend and haven't started to clean or buy groceries. I hope my turkey thaws in time! Do you think today would be too early to buy it and start thawing it? :thanksgiving2:

goldenguru

I'm cooking. I envious of those of you who are not. LOL.

Traditional fare here. Family favorites include my cranberry relish and pumpkin cake instead of traditional pumpkin pie.

I look more forward to the turkey leftovers.

Wiped out - I usually thaw my turkey in the kitchen sink. Take frozen turkey and put it in a VERY clean sink. Cover with cold water. I usually then cover the whole think with a clean wet kitchen towel. Change water frequently. It usually thaws in 1 -2 days.

Pam R

Turkey is not a big hit here. We've had many different things in the past: lobster, seafood, steak. This year we are hoping to have venison, if husband can get a deer.

We used to have the standard dinner: turkey gravy, potatos, cranberry, etc.

But now we tend to go with things we find special. And many items are no longer in our diet, due to the food program for DS and myself and my food restrictions.

So there's no telling, at this point, what we will decide on.

Pam R.

Lothlorien

Turkey, sausage stuffing, turnips, green beans and Mashed potatoes. Nothing out of the ordinary. For dessert, a pumpkin praline cheesecake and maybe apple pie. I'm going to make a hot sangria, too.

Fran

Former desparate mom
We have done the huge family thanksgiving with 20 adults and 20 kids. We have done the Thanksgiving buffet with family. We have done the quiet Thanksgiving lunch and go to a football game.
All are great in different ways. I'm not ready for a big get together in the new house. Mom is coming down. We are undecided whether to go out to the buffet or to cook in smaller quantities. Guess it will depend on how chaotic life is next week.
Turkey
chest nut stuffing
green bean casserole(with the cream of mushroom soup)
cranberry orange relish
mashed potatoes
sweet potato casserole
pumpkin pie

SRL, I may have to make that fruit recipe. Thanks.

F

flutterbee

We are doing Thanksgiving this Sunday because my mom will be in San Mateo, CA on Thanksgiving. She and I are shopping today for it. It will be turkey, scalloped potatoes, green bean casserole, cranberries and acorn squash pie.

I really don't care much for Thanksgiving and the only reason we are doing it at all this year (since my mom won't be in town) is for difficult child. She's big into tradition. But, of course, she's still extremely unhappy with Nana from her visit so I'm wondering why we're bothering. Those two are so much alike and they don't see it. They are both overbearing and bossy and neither one of them backs down. I have a feeling it's not going to be pleasant.

I can't eat if I can see the carcass of what I'm eating right in front of me. Then easy child loves to torment me with that by picking up the entire leg and chomping into it like he's some kind of heathen and my step-dad torments me by talking about the gizzards.

I'd rather have lasagna. :smile:

On Thanksgiving Day, we'll be packing. difficult child has already asked me what we're doing on Thanksgiving Day - guess I'm not getting off with Sunday dinner - so maybe I'll do lasagna afterall.

KFld

easy child and I are going to my sister in law's sisters house. We have been there for holidays before, so I know there will be everything from Turkey to ham and everything that goes along with it. I'm bringing a dessert.

I'm off from work on Friday, so I will have to make a little Thanksgiving dinner at my place so we can have the leftovers. It's easy child's favorite meal of the year and we always enjoy the leftovers.

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
I am doing the meal here for husband, easy child my mom, second dad and myself.

Turkey
Stuffing
Sweet Tatos gooey with marshmallow
Green Bean Casserole
Scalloped Corn
Mashed potatos & gravy
Cranberry sauce
Rolls
Devilled Eggs

Pumpkin pie-this mom is bringing

Not sure if I will get the other baking done before or after but I have a whole list of other things to bake for the holidays.

Beth

DDD

Of course I'm cooking. The cooking isn't a problem but getting
the house ready is difficult. It will also be hard because my
easy child/difficult child will still be in jail. Oh...he's the green been casserole
guy at our house! We will have four from Tallahassee, the four
of us who live poedunk and maybe SS and his girlfriend from N.Fl.

We have turkey/dressing/gravy/mashed potatoes/green bean casserole, cranberry sauce, pumpkin pie and pecan pie plus a ham.
I make mini sweet potato casseroles in the foil cupcake liners
and brown mini marshmellows on top. We always eat WAY to many
appetizers (deviled eggs, variety of veggies with homemade dill
dip, celery stuffed with bluecheese, both color olives). I always
make cornbread stuffing with onions, celery and sometimes add
cranberries or diced apples/raisens. The regular dressing has
mushrooms, onions, celery and diced giblets. daughter in law can't even look
at that dressing because it is "oooey". Good Grief! Oh yeah,
roasted asparagus and hot rolls are required too.

How am I going to avoid CARBS?????? Yikes. DDD

DUDES, leftovers rule.

Not just leftovers the next day, but even the leftovers at like 8 that night.

You make a turkey sandwich. With turkey, stuffing, mashed and sweet potatoes, gravy, and cranberry sauce, (and by the way, I only like the cranberry sauce from the can. Where you can see the ridges) You take one bite and it is all over your shirt...

What? Your family doesn't do this? ONE of your families does this. At LEAST one.

I take the carcass and make turkey & dumplings. But my dad has to pick the meat off first. Poor Tink has nobody her age to do the wishbone with.

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
Kitty

OH the left over are so goooooood. I almost could go straight to leftover but it doesn't work that way. I do know that sandwich. My question to you is do you heat it up first or eat it cold????

Beth

SRL

Life with no leftovers was a big bummer so I usually make a fresh turkey breast in the crockpot and mashed potatoes the day before so we'll have some here.

Lothlorien

we always make too much so we can have leftovers. We usually go to Pennsylvania the next day and when we get home, we warm up all the left overs and gorge ourselves silly!