A first!

Wiped Out

Staff member
We had difficult child's iep after school yesterday and never before have we finished in one meeting. We always have a set end time because we know we will never finish. Afterward we were all joking that we finished 15 seconds early~

We still need to have another meeting in May to meet with his new case manager that he will have as he goes into high school. This will be needed to see if anything needs to be adjusted for high school.

I'm knocking on wood as I say this but this has been a huge (almost a year) of growth for difficult child. He is looking more like a student. At school and (somewhat at) home he is more redirectable. In therapy they are thinking by summer he will be ready for group therapy.

He is still a major difficult child on a daily basis but the supports in place that are in his iep and his therapy along with medications is helping especially in the violence department!

He is much more clingy now and has more anxiety issues than in the past. He is completely inappropriate in his conversations with us (sexual talking-he seems to think he is being humorous). We are also working on physical boundaries with him at school and at home. He seems to be unaware of his inappropriate touching but it is a big concern.

Anyways, just an update on difficult child, hoping I didn't jinx myself with the positives (I did include some of the negatives so maybe that will help avoid the board curse-lol.)

H

HaoZi

Progress is progress, so even if he regresses a little he has a foundation already in place to build on again. As for inappropriate jokes... 13 year old male? Pretty normal from what I recall of them. Even now I overhear boys that age doing that, and when they realize I heard them I just give them the "I know you have no REAL idea what you're talking about" smile.

crazymama30

Hey, share all the good news you want. I think that by balancing it out with reality you will not jinx yourself, but I understand how you feel. I have not posted much about husband for the same reason. As for difficult child, I am not sure what to do with him. He is a work in progress, as they all are I guess.

Be proud of him, I am glad you are seeing some progress

Star*

call 911........call 911
Well it's about time......(snort) 15 seconds - I bet you just had no idea what to do with yourself! lol

I'm proud of you! Congratulations! Warrior MOM!

TerryJ2

Wow, that's great!

Sorry about the other issues, but you already knew this would be a long journey. Sigh. And the fact that you know the issues and can work on them one by one is a huge thing. You deserve to be rewarded!!!

LittleDudesMom

That's great news! Sometime a little maturity can help. Won't make them a easy child, but can definitely bring in some positive changes.

Glad to hear this positive report on difficult child. No board jinx allowed....

Sharon

Wiped Out

Staff member
Thanks everyone! It has really been amazing to see the progress and to hear about his progress at school.