A message to the future...

InsaneCdn

(I debated whether to post this here, or over on General... defaulted to here.)

I won't be around here forever.
None of us will.
But, thinking about that made me wonder...

If you could leave a message for parents from the "future" who have challenging kids, in fifty words or less...
What would you say?

I'll post mine separately, so that the post meets the 50-word max...

InsaneCdn

There is hope.
The sooner you can get help the better " but the soonest is now.
If the approach isn't working, change the approach.
If that doesn't work, figure out what else is going on.
If the professionals don't have the answers, find another one.
Trust your Mommy gut.

DammitJanet

A child was put on this world with parents to guide them.
Parent is verb not a noun. Kids will have many friends. parents are not meant to be friends.
Parents job is to get their child to adulthood as a self-sufficient adult. Do the best you can with what you know at the time, and when you know better, do better.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
A child is more than the sum of their difficult child behaviors, even if sometimes you have to search to find it.
Parents need to remember to care for their needs as well as the needs of their relationship with each other. It's just as important as caring for the needs of their difficult child.
Docs are not God, they don't have all the answers. medications are not miracles.
Get creative and don't be afraid to think outside the box.
No one is perfect, not even parents. If you make a mistake, learn from it and move forward.
There is always hope.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
No is not a word to avoid... Even if it makes your child scream and throw things. Sometimes "triggering" the behavior is the only way to get help.

S

Signorina

Listen to your instincts and the little voice in the back of your head. Love them with your whole heart and sometimes love should be tough love. And put on your own oxygen mask first.

buddy

from a chicken soup for the soul book, I have posted this before:

When your kids deserve your love the least is when they need it the most.

tiredmommy

Set standards... not "pie in the sky" high... but realistic goals for your child to reach toward. That's where the growth is: in the stretching. And keep raising those standards as your child grows; respect your child enough to believe they can reach the next level.

klmno

Never let someone convince you to go against your "mommy gut" when it comes to dealing with or advocating for your child; learn as much as you can about every issue concerning your child; keep your head in control while embracing the parental love; never succomb to parental alienation.

lovemysons

None are born with all the answers.
There is no shame in asking for help.

Doing for a child what they can do or discover for themselves can cripple, hinder growth, and diminish strength. It can also lead to resentment and anger for both parent and child.

Forgive yourself for whatever you didn't know at the time.

LMS