A simple Elimination Diet

This is the diet from the book. "Help for the Hyperactive child" by William Crook.

Breakfast suggestions:
Toasted rice crackers with" all-fruit"spread and/or roasted almond butter, sliced bananas or other fruit.

Grilled Pork Chop, sauteed(Saut'e in olive, canola, sunflower, safflower or flaxseed oil.) apple or pear slices with a dash of cinnamon.

Bowl of brown rice with added nuts or fruit(I'd watch the peanuts..thats my advice not dr. crooks
biggrin.gif
) You may also add sugar free spread(which I assume is all fruit spread.. me again not Dr. Crook)

Bowl of oatmeal topped with fresh fruits.(Strawberries, raspberries, peaches...) add Fruit spread or pecans (or other nuts)

Pineapple and strawberries, sliced turkey, cold or grilled.

Special pancakes or waffles (by special I assume he means gluten free, casien free) topped with all-fruit syrup or applesauce.(again watch applesauce to make sure it's just applesuace not corn syrup..me again
biggrin.gif
)

Sliced cantaloupe, ground-beef patty, sliced potatoes. Special diet breads.

Muffins, flat breads and pancakes made from potato mix, rice mix, brown rice mix, barley mix, nut butters or fruit spread.

Lunch suggestions:
Homade soups: Beef Vegetable, chicken and rice, chicken and quinoa, chicken and kale with or with out onions.

Salads: Tuna, grape, nut salad. Tuna, apple, nut salad. Chicken/turkey salad with grapes, apples, nuts or celery.

Fresh Fruits: Apples, bananas, pears, grapes, berries, peaches, watermelon, pineapple, cherries

Veggies: Vegetable sticks with or with out dip(watch the dips for ingredients .. me again) Celery carrots zucchini, cucumber.

Sandwiches: using homade bread.. Turkey, chicken, beef, pork, tuna, game, dress with tomato, lettuce and acceptable mustard.

Other foods.. Trail mix, home roasted nuts, pumpkins seeds, acceptable pancakes rolled with almond or cashew butter with fruit spread or banana.. Rice crackers may be used.. Acceptable potato chips or taro chips(by acceptable they mean no preservates colorings saturated fats or chemicals)

Main Meals:
Sliced pork roast or grilled pork cops. baked sweet potato, black eyed peas, sliced bananas with strawberries.

Baked, grilled or roasted chicken. rice, lettuce, tomato, cucumber salad. Peach slices or Kiwi

Baked or grilled fish(batter can be made of oat or amaranth flour)
Steamed broccoli or cabbage. Grated carrot and pineapple salad. Acceptable bread (made from Oat flour, barley flour, rice or buckwheat flour, with out eggs, milk or yeast)

Wild game (venison duck..). Brown rice. Green peas or greens. Gresh fruit cups(berries, grapes, plums)

Grilled or roasted turkey. Fresh spinach and tomoato salad with wilted spinach(heated in skillent in tablespoon of oil until wilted)(YUCK.. just me again
biggrin.gif
). Sliced potatoes or quinoa. Slices of watermelon or honeydew melon.

Grilled shrimp, crab or beef patty. Baked potato. Green beans or asparagus.

Baked or grilled rabbit, chicken.. Squash and onions. Steamed broccoli or brussels sprouts.

Snacks: Unproccessed nuts(unproccessed nuts can be slow roasted in a 250 degree oven in a toast pan, stir ever 10 to 15 mins until roasted.. may be slightly salted)
Green pepper slices. (AS A SNACK????? me again
biggrin.gif
), carrot sticks, celery sticks,zucchini sticks, acceptable potato or potato chips

Fresh fruits except citrus. pineapple spears or chuncks, Strawberries, cherries, nectarines, grapes, apples, pears, beries, peaches.

Other foods: Apple or banana slices with roasted almonds or roasted cashew butter.
Acceptable muffin with nut butters or fruit spreads.
Dips, nut butter dip, tomato salsa dip,
Puffied rice and nut butter balls..
Homemade trail mixes.
----------------------------

Ok, thats the diet.. I assume by acceptable muffins that he is saying to stay away from wheat for a while, same with acceptable breads.. So look in the arcives for recipies on these breads cuz we have a few in there..

Also it sais if you need further work to try the Caveman diet for one week.. On this diet your child avoids every food he eats more than once a week. The cave man diet here is brief but I know you can buy books on it or look it up on the net..
but this is all he says about it.
Meats: Lamb, turkey, fish, lobster, and wild game.
Fruits: cantaloupe, mango, kiwi, pineapple, watermelon, strawberries, blackberries, blueberries

Veggies: Sweet potato, broccoli, carrots, asparagus, cauliflower, celery, cabbage, cucmber, radish, greens.

Beverages: bottled mineral water or spring water

Nuts: unproccessed. Any but peanuts.

Oils: olive oil, mineral oil, sunflower or safflower oil.

Grain Alternatives: Buckwheat, amaranth, quinoa, teff.

So this is much more extreme.

But if this is to hard (which it is for me even though it's a simple diet..) try the http://www.gfcfdiet.com/ site and see if they have better stuff????

I hope this helps, and I hope it isnt to poorly typed!!!

------------------
7 yr old girl Bipolar/ADD/ODD
Currently on a new natural treatment (wish me luck)
off ALL medications!!
smile.gif

http://www.freeyellow.com/members8/spreadingtheword/1index.htm
Fav. Funny quote- "Yesterday I was a dog. Today I'm a dog. Tomorrow I'll
probably still be a dog. <Sigh!> There's so little hope for advancement."
- Snoopy

"With out God, my life would fall apart"

[This message has been edited by Dogchopper (edited 23 February 2001).]

Are you kidding.. after all that typing. I WILL definatley archive it.. after my fingers are done cramping.. I told you im a lousey typist!!

------------------
off ALL medications!!
probably still be a dog. &lt;Sigh!&gt; There's so little hope for advancement."
- Snoopy

paula

OK, questions (humor me here, I am new at this):

I assume that all pastas are out, correct?

You can use both brown and white rice?

Flour is a big issue, because of the gluten...which ones are acceptable?

Paula

no problem.
Lets see Pastas.. our out unless you use.. Gluten free pasta's.. Like Rice pasta, soy pasta, corn pasta.. Personally I like the rice ones the best. They are a bit stickier than normal pastas so you have to watch them and stir them but they taste better to me anyways..

and for flour's.. Lets see.. somwhere around here I have a good recipie for bread BUT I CANT FIND IT
frown.gif
you'd never tell I have ADD
biggrin.gif

OOO I found the recipie.. Here it is (and I dont have to type it cuz its on line
biggrin.gif
)
-----------------------------
The bread recipe in this book is great but the dough is too sticky to be kneaded by hand. So my husband adapted her recipe
to work in a breadmaker. We have made this in our Pansonic many times; it tastes like bread, it is nice and soft. It toasts
beautifully but unlike many rice breads is edible untoasted.

2 cups girlfriend flour (see below)
3 tbsp sugar
2 tsp xanthan gum (see below)
1 cup milk, warmed for 1 min in microwave
1 tsp salt
1.5 tsp yeast
2 tbsp oil (or use butter, just barely melted in the microwave)
2 eggs
1 tsp vinegar

Put these ingredients into your breadmaker in whatever order
it requires them and bake like any other white loaf.

The girlfriend flour is a flour substitute Hagman recommends. You make it like this:

2 parts white rice flour
2/3 part potato starch flour (NOT potato flour)
1/3 part tapioca flour

I make up 3 cups of this into a canister, 2 cups goes for the bread and
the other cup stays in the canister for next time.

As for the xanthan gum, she talks about this more in the book but it's a way to get the stretchiness that gluten provides.

----------------------------

Also if your just gonna try an elimination diet for a few weeks to see (i think they say it takes about a month for the gluten to get out of your system.) you can always buy gluten free breads at the health food stores. It's abotu 3 bucks a loaf or more. The rice breads are kind of THICK , buckwheat is ok. you just have to experiment with them to see what you like..

Let me know if I can do more!

------------------
off ALL medications!!
- Snoopy

paula

Thanks for all the great information.
I'm going to load up on supplies tommorrow and start next week. We'll see what we see. If I have any questions I'll post em.

Don't forget to archive that thing!

paula

you forgot to tell me, are both types of rice OK?
and one more question....
I should implement these dietary changes for four weeks, right? And then after that, add things back one at a time and watch for a reaction?
I can do this.

[This message has been edited by Paula (edited 23 February 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Paula (edited 23 February 2001).]

Oh .. rice of any kind is really ok, brown rice is better for you and really if your going to do it, it may be better because brown rice isnt bleached.. white rice is just brown rice bleached.. and that cant be good.

As for time.. I think at least 2 weeks off all the foods and then start adding things back, but the wheat. I think i would add last and make that at least 4 weeks.. maybe more??
AND make sure when your adding things back in that you read the lables cuz many many instant foods have things in them that have milk or wheat gluten in them. So go to that gluten-free, casein-free site I gave you and look at that list that is printable. It has alot of the names of ingredients that have wheat in them.

Im gonna archive it now and keep the post active also!

------------------
off ALL medications!!
- Snoopy