A violet who needs direction

Steely

So, I am not sure if any of you have taken the Life Colors Quiz, but it is definitely insightful. I took mine awhile back, and I am a violet - with blue/green. Blue is a nurturer/caregiver, green is someone who is career & money motivated ~ and a violet is someone who wants to save the world. Since I can remember, I have wanted to make an impact on someone, or something. Violet is my primary color, thus my need to "save difficult child". I bet a lot of us on the board are violets, because we have all united as warrior moms for our difficult children.

Today my boss/friend, resigned. Beside feeling amazingly sad that she was going to leave po-dunk AZ - I was also told that if I wanted to apply for her job I would have to take on all of the responsibility of her job for 3 months, without any guarantees of getting the job when it posts available in the Spring. And - if I choose not to take on the responsibility of her job - than I will not be considered as an eligible candidate in the Spring. It is bribery, coercion, manipulation - and yet - I want to move forward and advance - because that is the green in me.

Green is all I have ever done to survive as a single mom. But maybe I want to finally be a violet. Maybe it is time to save the world. I don't know. But even violets need to have a means to an end. If I don't take on all of this responsibility than I know that they will find a way to eliminate my job - I have seen it happen with this company over and over again.

I am really torn. This town only has 4K people in it, and the "careers" can be counted on one hand. If I want to stay in this town, than I will have to take on this responsibility.

I LOVE it in this town/region of AZ. It is so beautiful and perfect for me. Yet, I do not want to stress myself out over a job I may never get. I cannot be that green. The corporation that I work for is horrible to their employees. HORRIBLE. I will not be able to withstand how they handle things. I know that much about me. I also know that I just want peace in my life. I do not want corporate stress, and politics, nor do I want to participate in the whole corporate dog and pony show. What I want to do is TRULY help people and bring light into their life.

Advice?

everywoman

You have been moving in the right direction since your decision to move, and we know that change starts within. Will the added responsibilities include additional pay? As another blue/green/violet, I can tell you that I frequently take on additional responsibilities at work, not because they come with a pay increase, because I like to challenge myself. In order to not grow stale, in order to remain outside of the box I see so many stuff themselves into, I look toward challenges as a means of growth. Success or failure are byproducts of that challenge. What I am really looking for is a chance to grow, change, move forward. Will this offer you that chance? Not so much in the company, but in yourself? I have to step outside the politics and backstabbing in education (and trust me it is there) and ask myself if I am moving in the direction I want to move in. I do the things I do because I want to---not because I have to.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Hmmmm. I've never hear of this quiz thing.

But I'd go ahead and do it if it were me. Especially if you'll get a pay boost while you're doing it. Even if you don't get the job at the end.....you've got that experience to stick on a resume......in my opinion that's always a good thing.

Any way you could do it and have the attitude if it works great, if not, that's ok too??

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Must have missed the quiz .... be that as it may, I say go for it if you love the area.

I've lived in large cities for the last 25 plus years & I have to say that I'd really love to move back out in the country. Geez, Steeley maybe I'll head down your way.

Whatever your decision, I wish you all the luck in the world. (by the way I hate corporate junk like this ~ it truly hoovers.)

Steely

No, there is not a pay increase unless I get the job. I guess the bottom line is that I do not want the added stress of this huge new responsibility - and yet if I don't take it - I think my job will be eliminated. I am being shoved into a situation I don't want, need, or desire - and I don't see a way out.