Advice for my 'forever' difficult child


New Member

I came to this site for my youngest son who just unexpectedly became inexplicable/ difficult. I've benefited greatly for that situation.

However, I do have an older 'forever difficult' son who has been in Special Education since 18 months old (diagnosed with Noonans syndrome and low muscle tone). He was diagnosed with ADHD in 2nd grade. He's now 25. He has a job (Walgreens part time) and is a super sweet kid but not thriving, as in having social and organizational skills to make an independent living. I see that other developmental or autistic types can become eligible for aid in some cases. I'm looking for advice on how I can start to help him look into that (we aren't getting any younger and I'd like to know he could survive on his own).

He was tested by a psychiatrist about 10 years ago and was assessed with slow processing speed, visual-motor functioning challenges and social development issues, but no specific diagnosis.

We used Cornerstone services for some job training and IDH services for post high school tracking, but both have told us they don't have anything else for us.

Any experiences or advice you have to share for helping developmentally challenged young adults would be appreciated.




Well-Known Member
I looked up Noonan syndrome which is a genetic disorder with both physical and cognitive consequences.the should be on social security with services from medical assistance to housing to a case manager. I assume you know about this? If not, you can start by calling your county's Aging and Disabilities. He deserves this help. You can also try Social Services and ask what to do. They will likely to send you to Aging and Disabilities but maybe each state is different. I'm sure he is entitled to assistance. Noonan Syndrome is a diagnosis, much as Downs Syndrome is. Both are genetic anomalies. They get state help. Do call.
Last edited: