Advocacy groups for MR?

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by nlg319, Jun 6, 2007.

  1. nlg319

    nlg319 New Member

    I am wondering if anyone knows if there is an organization like NAMI for mentally retarded? I need to do some advocacy for my 45 yr. old mentally retarded brother.
  2. slsh

    slsh member since 1999

    Without question, ARC. Used to be Association for Retarded Citizens but it's now more politically correct. But they are definitely the ones to go to.

    ADAPT might also be helpful though they're I think more about disability rights. If there are any CILs in your area they might be able to help too.

    Also, every state has a designated Protection and Advocacy agency. If you google "advocacy (insert state)" you'll more than likely come up with a great list of resources.
  3. nlg319

    nlg319 New Member

    He has been active in ARC for years. I went to their website but I couldn't find anything about support for family members?
  4. DDD

    DDD Well-Known Member

    You will find a Statewide organization, I'm sure. The term MR
    is no longer used. It is daughter for Developmentally Delayed. I served for four years on the Florida committee to protect human
    rights and daughter had a VERY active subcommittee. DDD