Anyone have a spiralizer?

AppleCori

I tried these noodles made of zucchini, called zoodles, when I was in Texas and they were wonderful!

They had these in the grocery store there. We don't have them in the area I live in, but I am interested in making some.

Anyone make noodles out of veggies with a spiralizer or something else?

Apple

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
Yes! We have the attachment on our stand mixer. I bought it for my husband for Christmas a few years ago - he is the main cook in our house.

We use it mainly for zucchini which comes out great! He is a frequent low carb dieter and we put meat sauce over it and it's delish. You don't even miss the "noodles".

AppleCori

For a kitchen aid mixer or something else?

I saw the attachment on amazon, but it's $100.

Does it work well?

The stand-alone spiralizer are much cheaper, but I wonder how well they work...

Lil

I don't have one, but I would love one! I'd like the one for my Kitchenaid, but I'd settle for the hand-held. I've made zucchini noodles a few times, using a Pampered Chef Julienne Slicer, but it doesn't work as well as an actual spiralizer would; you end up wasting the middle, seedy section.

RN0441

Yes the Kitchen Aid mixer. I couldn't remember the name of it when I wrote that. DUH. It was about $89 when I bought it but it was a Christmas gift.

He had bought a cheaper one too because he didn't feel like pulling the mixer out - we store it downstairs due to limited counter space - but it broke right away. I'm thinking there are some that may be worth it though if you don't want to spend the money. We also have the sausage attachment for our Kitchen Aid too which he uses at holiday time. That is durable so if you are going to use it a lot it's worth it.

Lil

We also have the sausage attachment for our Kitchen Aid too which he uses at holiday time.

Oh I WANT the meat grinder and sausage stuffer! All I have for my Kitchenaid is the pasta roller/slicer, and I love it, but I don't actually make a lot of pasta because it's so cheap to buy. I do plan on trying to make some wild mushroom ravioli soon though, so I'll need to make pasta for that. Jabber and I have been thinking of the meat grinder because we could make our own sausages, using chicken and pork loin and things like that, and make them a LOT healthier. Most sausages are just dripping with salt and preservatives. I really think that has to be our next purchase of mixer attachments.

RN0441

OMG the sausage he makes is just delicious. It's a two person job really. One to hold the casing and one to stuff the grinder. That's why we only do it once a year or so. He likes lots of fennel too so he can add that. It's really a treat and yes so much healthier. It's fun too once you get past the casings....eek.

AppleCori

I'm not big on pasta, so zucchini shaped like pasta never appealed to me, but I tried cooking it in oil and garlic with some veggies and it was really good.

I am thinking how delicious it would be with scallops...

PiscesMom

My daughter wants to buy me a Kitchenaid mixer for my birthday. I do prefer to eat low carb.
What is this about using zucchini for pasta? Do you cook it first?

Lil

My daughter wants to buy me a Kitchenaid mixer for my birthday. I do prefer to eat low carb.

A mixer is, first and foremost, a mixer...even a Kitchenaid. So unless you cook a lot there might be more practical gifts. That said, I use my mixer for some different kind of things. My favorite is to mix meat loaf! No more nasty meat-covered fingers and ground meat under my nails! Does a bang-up job!

Zucchini cooks SO fast and gets so mushy you don't want to cook it really; not before cutting it. Whether you use a julienne cutter or a spiralizer, you basically cut the zucchini into pasta-like strings and then I just steam it for a couple minutes, where it's no longer raw. Then top with pasta sauce or pesto or whatever. I've heard of people kind of stir-frying it, and I've tried that. You get a LOT of water from zucchini, so squeezing it out a bit before you fry it up helps.

Good stuff!

AppleCori

If you ever access to "zoodles" try those first.

They are cut thick, bigger diameter than regular pasta.

I put some cut veggies in olive oil and garlic and some other stufff and put the zoodles in at the end, only long enough to get them heated and coated.

There is a spiralizer cookbook (and many recipes online). I'm not a pasta or spaghetti sauce lover, but some other recipes have me sold.

I am thinking of getting a spiralizer, too. Just need to find the right one! I have a bunch of Amazon gift cards to use, so I'm looking there.

My hubby thinks it sounds awful, but I'm sure he will come around!

Apple

AppleCori

I use my KitchenAid to grind deer meat.

I use to use it quite often for making tortillas, but haven't made any lately, as we are on the road to healthier eating!

pasajes4

zucchini lasagna is really just zucchini cut in strips and layered with meat sauce and whatever Italian cheeses you like. I use vodka sauce......yum.

pasajes4

Vodka sauce comes in a jar and is located with all of the other bottled pasts sauces. It's a creamy tomato pasta sauce. If you are on a health kick, you can justify the splurge because you are using veggies and not pasta.:spaghetti: