K

Kjs

I tried so hard to "make" my son just be a normal kid. I didn't want him labeled, I didn't want him medicated. Finally when HE had an anxiety attack, was so scared, didn't know what to do or where to go, the wonderful counselor at elementary school took him home. HE asked to go into a hospital, he was scared, he didn't like feeling like this. That wonderful counselor spoke to the pediatrician for me because I just was lost at the time. We were seen on a Saturday by a childs psychiatrist. He put him on medication. It took a while but he had improved sooo much. I also fought the Special Education. Until we were told that because of his behavior he will get expelled unless we get him in Special Education. Acedemically he can be in advanced classes, it is the behavior that put him in Special Education. Changes really upset him. Issues in our household caused a big problem for him at school. It took so long for me to realize HE is the one who is really feeling bad. (thought it was only me, since I seem to be his target)
Just would like the neighbors and there perfect kids to just for a day or so walk in the shoes of anyone here. Maybe then they would not have those rude, mean things to say to difficult child and to us.

CsonStar

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oceans</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't know where you are in NC, but from experience I know that there are quite a few Dr's here that will refuse to treat a child as bipolar unless they have witnessed all the "classic" symptoms themselves. Because of this, my difficult child has gone for years being on the wrong medications. All the ones that the psychiatrists insisted were to work, never did. It was only recently that I talked someone into trying to add a mood stabilizer, and it was after many other failed medication trials. When the mood stabilizer was finally added, he got better. This is just to let you know what you might be up against here. Of course, you might not live in this area at all. Good luck to you. </div></div>

Hi there, we are actually in central north carolina, in the triad area

CsonStar

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kjs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Just would like the neighbors and there perfect kids to just for a day or so walk in the shoes of anyone here. Maybe then they would not have those rude, mean things to say to difficult child and to us.

</div></div>

Amen to that. I get yelled at constantly by my neighbors, because they never see our child outside playing. I have to explain to them his condition (each time this happens I have to explain it over and over, I am starting to think THEY are the ones that are "slow"). And explain that he has already failed a few grades, and as much of a fight as it is to get him to do his homework, with motivation, he will EVENTUALLY get it done. There is a lot of "I can't do it" and "This sucks" and ALWAYS ALWAYS a crying fit or 87, but usually by the end of it, he is apologizing to me, and saying he is glad that I made him do it, because now he knows how to do it. And strangly, when I stopped just "accepting" that he couldn't do it, and actually started motivating him (not :censored2:ing, or complaining or yelling, well some yelling, but that is due to other issues) his grades have actually improved. Now it is just a behavior problem, he is still low in grades, but they have came up, so I am very proud of him.