Awesome school resource for difficult child

TerryJ2

Well, the teacher called back and we chatted.
Nothing about religion. (Yet.)
But ... difficult child has turned in no math assignments, has forgotten his scheduler, and is confused on what to do for science.
Sigh.
He lied to me every single day last week.
"Do you have any homework?"
"No, I did it at school."

Duh. You'd think I'd learn.
Thank heaven the teacher called.

She suggested their resource class. Can't believe I didn't see this b4:

XXXXXX School offers students with learning challenges i.e., dyslexia, decoding difficulties, dysgraphia, math computation and application difficulties, processing disorders, Asperger’s Syndrome and attention difficulties, resources to enable them to succeed.

They pull the kid from the "extra" class (Spanish, music, etc.) and put them in the resource class. It's often 1-on-1.

The teacher is sending home a permission slip tomorrow.

susiestar

Roll With It
Sorry he lied. Often our kiddos feel so overwhelmed that they just choose not to face the problems.

It sounds like the resource room is a god-send for him. Awesome that a private school offers it! So many just do not offer that kind of thing. Be sure to tell the principal how great the teacher and staff are being.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
My difficult child 2 is going to be in a class like that this year. And I actually want this for difficult child 1 also, but I have a feeling that I'll have to wait until he's struggling again to get it.

I hope it's a good support for your difficult child.

klmno

Oh- my son had a class like that for some 1-on-1 time and it is great! This is when he gets caught up, goes to classes and picks up stuff he's forgotten, gets help with whatever questions he has, etc. It works extra-well when they are at the age where they can't stand Mom checking homework, backpacks, etc., too! Oh- he would get a lot of homework and class projects done there, too, which helped ease the stress at home.

ThreeShadows

Quid me anxia?
Terry, stay on it. I wasted $148,900.00 on a private academy for the boys. The way I found out that they were not turning in their homework? I bumped into their science teacher and she told me the facts over the produce counter at our local supermarket. I was dumbfounded, I had expected the school to report to me about any problems. I was so wrong!

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Terry, I'm so glad you have the resource for difficult child. On top of it, if the resource teacher (or whomever) emails you each day with difficult children assignments that would be a big help.

The tweedles Special Education teachers would send out a group email to each of the parents each day, followed by a personal email if there were issues or things to discuss. Much easier on the parent & on difficult child.

Our babies tend to have memory issues & then when confronted with the homework undone it builds into a major incident. Far better to get an email.

TerryJ2

Thank you all.
ThreeShadows, that is inexcusable that the teacher never informed you of the missing assignments. I would have been not only dumbfounded, but angry, both at my son and the teacher.

I went into the bldg today to track down the science and math teacher. I told her that difficult child was okay with-staying in from recess to get caught up on math. She whispered something (announcements over the intercom, prayers, etc, and we were trying to be discrete) about sitting in a circle, so I'll find out today when he gets home.
I signed the permission slip right in front of her, so he can go to resource class any time.
I told her I'd like to arrange a mtng, and she could grab as many teachers as she liked, just to get me the date and time and I'd be there.
Whew. Keeping up with-this kid takes an entire city!

I love emails, but this school isn't up on it like his other school was. I'll talk to them about that.

klmno

Terry, at my son's last home sd, they used this class when other kids were in a study hall. That way, difficult child didn't view it as a punishment, most the other kids never noticed, and there was no rebellion or hurt feelings. Do they have a study hall period at your son's school?

TerryJ2

No, not that I'm aware of. That comes with-the upper level classes.
He will be taken out of computer on Tues, and Spanish after that.

The resource teacher called yesterday and explained that she will not be doing tutoring, per se, but will be giving instructions on organizational skills. She also said she will put in place a check-and-balance system for checking off what has been assigned, what has actually been done, etc, and I will do the same at home, so we can communicate. This is what we did last yr and it worked very well (to a point. difficult child can find a way around anything.)

I told her that I can help difficult child with-Spanish at home, but to try to keep him in computer because he desperately needs keyboarding. She said it's more keyboarding and less searching, and no programming. Until I find out otherwise, we'll keep it this way.

Last night was their parent-teacher open house, where we did an accelerated version of the kids' classes and moved from room to room. There are many similarities but probably more differences from the last school. The assembly for all parents took place in the gym, where the principal, a nun, gave a religious pep talk and told parents that they have to learn that they are not always their kids' best friends, but that they are mentors and leaders. She said to not be afraid to tell the kids "no." Several parents chuckled and whispered to their partners at that point. :)
Then we went into the cafeteria, where the PTA had prepared cheese and crackers and ... wine. Huh. I hadn't expected that. Nice treat! :)

The way the classes are set up is a bit more rigid than the last school, where, for example, the kids are not allowed to run to their lockers to retrieve assignments. I think that's a good thing, for accountability. Last yr, difficult child's locker was 3 ft from the door so he got away with-a lot of back-and-forth stuff.
Also, they may leave any class to use the restroom, but not while the teacher is lecturing. Interesting.
The teachers have very different personalities and systems so this is quite a change for difficult child, but he is in the thick of it and doing well, emotionally.