Beacuse I said so...

JJJ

Realizing now that the phrase "because I said so" is used as a polite version of "because if you are so stupid that you don't get it, I am not explaining it one more time" which is really used when the child is being a difficult child and REFUSING to comprehend because it isn't the answer she wants.

Yep, Piglet was a difficult child for about 90 minutes yesterday. Thankfully, she doesn't have the staying power of a true difficult child, lol.

InsaneCdn

There's probably more than one interpretation of "because I said so"... I always thought it meant "I refuse to continue the argument, so it's going to be my way". Guess it depends on the trigger?

SuZir

Oh, I always thought it meant "I don't know why you should do so, but I'm just exercising old military wisdom that any decision or direction, right or wrong, is better than no decision or direction and chaos that ensues, when they understand that you don't know either" or "I'm about ready to snap your neck but I'm not willing to go to prison for it so you would better get out of my way and be very, very quiet right about NOW!"

I usually do explain my reasoning but sometimes "because I said so..." works for me too!

Reasons for using "because I said so....."

1) You are just to immature to understand the reasoning behind the decision.
2) I don't have the time nor the inclination to explain my decision because it will only result in a long drawn out argument and I'm not changing my mind anyway.
3) I'm an adult and you are a child and I really don't have to justify my decisions to you - this house is not a democracy.
4) I love SuzIr's one about being ready to snap a neck!!! I can certainly relate to that one!!

pasajes4

I loved the movie Because I Said So...... it was my mother's favorite phrase and it meant " who do u think u are standing in my house and telling me what u will and won't do"

cubsgirl

For me it's "I'm not explaining it again" (pretty much what JJJ says). difficult child always wants things explained over and over again due to his autism but he is slowly learning that I'll say it twice but then he better do it.

buddy

I use it the same as "because I'm the mom...." jjj that's funny ....staying power is a great way to define a difficult child.

DammitJanet

Has anyone seen the commercial where the little boy follows the man around asking Why incessantly? And the guy is doing Saturday type chores...fixing things, raking leaves, etc. Boy follows around asking why. Guy gives him tons of answers and one includes "because monkeys cant get married." Finally the guy turns on him and you see another man come walking out of another house and the man says "why dont you go ask your dad?" and the little boy says....Why? LMAO