Because!!!!

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
kt is "allowed" one tantrum a day. If she starts to tantrum, she's reminded of the one she had earlier in the day & that usually stops her escalation & such.

kt had already had her "allowed" tantrum this morning when husband picked her up from Residential Treatment Center (RTC) for her pass. :hammer: Too early in the day for her - oh, well....

So she's here & doing her best to throw another tantrum - oops, not allowed, you're already done for the day.

"Why, Mommmmmmm?"

"Because, I'm goddess & I rule this house."

Well, this didn't fly; actually kt's timing was good in that I was in the midst of interviewing a PCA. She got a small picture of tweedleland.

I just had to try the "because" response just once though. kt wasn't being logical & I felt I didn't have to be logical either.

Nanny nanny boo boo! :wink: :rofl:

If I ever try this again, someone come & hit me on the head. :hammer:

F

flutterbee

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: timer lady</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

"Because, I'm goddess & I rule this house."

</div></div>

That sounds like a perfectly logical and reasonable explanation to me. :smile:

Janna

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: timer lady</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"Because, I'm goddess & I rule this house."</div></div>

I don't see why that's not a good reason.

I know alot of people in GFGdom choose to not use the "because" reason.

However, I use "because I'm the parent and I said so" alot. It is the truth, after all.

Janna

neednewtechnique

Neither of these options work at my house, already tried on several occasions, and she expects a long, drawn out, explanation of why we must enforce the rules we have given her and why we don't allow temper tantrums. She isn't satisfied with any less explanation and will pester the CRAP out of us if we don't come up with SOMETHING, but as soon as we do, she finds our response "Stupid" and "Unimportant" which prompts her to throw a temper tantrum anyway, because we are taking up so much of her precious time wasting it on explaining ourselves!!! Catch 22???? Definitely.

F

flutterbee

CJ,

My difficult child is the same way. Then after she argues with me, I finally say "Because I said so!" She's not really interested in the explanation - it's just an opportunity for her to try find a way around it...or to wear me down....whichever comes first. :wink:

I've always been able to reason with easy child - even as a little guy. Have never ever been able to with difficult child.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Linda

I've been fortunate. "because I said so" works here. Even with husband. :rofl:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Because, I'm goddess & I rule this house </div></div>

I dunno about the goddess part, but I definately rule this house. My word is the final word. The kids know it. husband knows it. Heck, our pets know it. :rofl:

Linda,

Let us know how it's going with the one tantrum a day allowed idea. Hmmmmmmm...wondering if that would work on our Miss Aly. This evening she was pulling the "dad would let me have this or that or the other thing if HE was here" So, I pulled out the old "well, he's not, so guess what kiddo, I said NO!" and then had to throw in a "because I said so". Didn't get the "talk to the hand" this time at least. Gonna have to try your wording, I am loving that!!!

Good luck Mom, errr, I mean miss Goddess!!

Hugs,
Vickie

Marguerite

We have to be careful with difficult child 3. If we use anything like that, we get it back from him, some other time. Ever had a little kid use the "talk to the hand" routine on you? Or, "I thought I told you, that I wanted JUICE, not MILK!" Mind you, that last one came from easy child 2/difficult child 2 when she was three.

We do what works. I like the thought of claiming to be a goddess, though. Not sure how well it would fly. How about the Goddess of Sticky Situations - Araldite? Worth a try...

Marg

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Ladies....the goddess thing is just a little humor added into my daily life. I also wander about the house stating "it's all about me".

Sometimes, it puts things in perspective for my little family - other times it's meant for me.

The one tantrum a day is a concept for kt more than a rule. It was introduced as a concept; that kt could choose to tantrum or choose to use some of her newly learned self calming skills. It's still a toss up - she's still very fragile & it's tenuous - either completely crumble into chaos or choose her self/sane part.

It seriously has taken close to a year of pretty intense hospitalizations and then Residential Treatment Center (RTC) treatment to get kt to the allowed tantrum of the day down from the 6 hour meltdowns we were priviledged to handle.

We want kt to think this is a serious choice for her; we know that there are times when she will not be able to maintain.