been awhile and things look bad

tjg4god

just me
Well it has been awhile since I have been on here with work and everything going on..some of you may remember me talking about my 4 year old difficult child..he has been diagnosis with DBD, possible ADHD, ODD, Aspergers etc. etc. We had an appointment set for Neuro psychiatric but got a letter saying the dr was leaving so find someone else..great after 3 months on waiting list huh..well difficult child has gotten worse with behavior. Pre-k tells me they can't do anything with him.. He won't cooperate, he hits, won't stay in his seat, cries alot, won't participate in activities etc. He has started peeing his pants again. I have no idea what to do with him and I am not getting any real feedback from dr on a true diagnosis. He has sensory issues, sppech delays, and is considered in very low range for comprehension in test by both the dr and school. Any ideas??

judytor

Is he in Sped preK or mainstream? It sounds like he needs some more intervention with speech and Occupational Therapist (OT) services (at least).

judytor

He should have some accomodations for his challenges if they want him in a mainstream class. Does he have an aide? Maybe he could benefit from a one on one situation to help keep him focused?

BusynMember

The neuropsychologist will REALLY help you. I know it's frustrating to wait, but they are good evaluators and usually have long waiting lists.
Sounds like nobody really knows what is wrong with your son. You have so many diagnosis. ODD rarely stands alone--I wouldn't even deal with that. Both ADHD and Aspergers are similar. If your son has speech delays and sensory issues, there is a good chance he is on the autism spectrum somewhere. If your son IS on the spectrum there are worlds of interventions the school can and should implement. I've had five kids, and I never trust the school district to diagnose because they tend not to hire the best and brightest. I also used private therapists, although I'd wait and see what the neuropsychologist says before spending money on a therapist. If your child is, say, on the autism spectrum, his biggest help will be PT, Occupational Therapist (OT), social skills, other school interventions. Therapy would be a far distant second since spectrum kids often don't understand therapy anyway, especially young spectrum kids. At any rate, get on the phone and make another neuropsychologist appointment. You will get 6-10 hours of intensive testing and know a lot more about your boy when it's over. Here is an online test for Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)/autistic spectrum disorder. People on an autism site I frequent consider it pretty accurate, as long as you are honest in your answers:
http://www.childbrain.com/pddassess.html

Last edited:

Mandy

Parent In Training
I agree with Midwest Mom she has some really good advice for you! I have been researching our school system and what their policies are with Special Education etc. so at least I have a plan of action. I have also read the Bi-polar child which lists EXCELLENT advice in the end about getting IEP's done and getting your child help within the school system. Even though your child is not bi-polar it would be worth reading. Good Luck!!!