Best Evidenced-Based Programs

I was wondering if anyone had recommendations of evidenced-based programs for children with special needs? My son has a variety of needs, so I'm open to a broad range of suggestions. For example, ABA is evidenced based for his Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) diagnosis, so we've started there. But, I'm interested in everyone's favorite evidenced-based programs for auditory processing, reading comprehension/decoding for a child with low IQ and/or significant speech and language impairment, behavior management programs (PTSD), etc.

Basically, while I'm willing to try anything that won't hurt him, I would rather start with things with EBP in their corner first and then move outside the box.

InsaneCdn

Occupational Therapist (OT) for sensory or motor skills issues is worth it. There isn't the "evidence" out there in terms of studies... that used to bother me. But, books on Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) tell us again and again that when they interview adults who were kids with Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) and had a variety of services, and ask them what they feel worked or helped... Occupational Therapist (OT) comes up again and again.

We tried some of the other stuff - and difficult child can't do it for a variety of reasons. But Occupational Therapist (OT) is working.

BusynMember

Really depends upon in which areas your child is most impaired. One-on-one teaching was the best thing that happened to my child plus a small classroom. He learned more there, in every way (even socially) than he did in regular completely mainstreamed classroom. And then later he was able to be mainstreamed, with a few supports, and do fine. Social skills therapy helped him a lot too. My son's diagnosis was Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)-not otherwise specified/cognitive disorder not otherwise specified. He was actually a quick learner once he got one on one help. He got lost in a big classroom at first.

Early on, he benefitted from SLT (he had a speech delay...common on the autism spectrum), Occupational Therapist (OT) and PT (he had tight muscles). He never had any coordination problems at all. In fact, he could ride a two wheel bike very well by four and did mom-heart-attack flips on the trampoline too.

I really think the needs of each individual child need to be taken into account, however all Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) kids suffer from poor social skills. They may be extremely friendly kids, but they are not appropriate in relating to their same age peers. Also, a great deal have learning disabilities as well.