Biggest non-difficult child whine of my life

Nancy

I had foot surgery last Friday for joint implant in my right big toe worm out by arthritis. I've had awful pain in my feet for two years now and it got to the point where I had to have somethng done. The surgery went well and although I was in much more pain than I ever thought possible, it has been healing and I was able to walk carefully in post op shoe without crutches for the first time Wednesday.

I have now done something to my left foot by having to put so much weight on it that it now hurts worse than my right foot. I woke in the middle of the night in excruciating pain. The ball of my foot hurts to the touch and seems to stretch down the sole of my foot. This started two days ago but has suddenly gotten to the point where I can't put any weight on it. I have my appointment Monday to remove the stitches so of course I will tell him, it won't be hard to figure out when I come hobbling in. But I am so deperessed that I went through all this pain only to have the good foot hurt worse than the bad one. I knew I was going to have to have the same surgery ont he other foot but was hoping for some relief. I'm afraid I pushed it over the edge and I hate sitting here not able to get around.

Nancy

(((HUGS))) I think you should call the dr. right away. Let them know how much pain you're in. There is no reason to suffer, at the very least he can tell you if this is normal and you may need to ask for a stonger pain medication. You can't wait until Monday, don't worry about if you are taking up their time. You just had surgery. They will gladly take care of you now, the dr, will call you today I'm sure, you can probably even see him. I'm sorry you're in so much pain! Call now.

Nancy

Normally I would and if it was the foot I had surgery on I defintely would but that is healing well. He is in surgery on Fridays so wouldn't be able to see me and since I really am not suppose to be walking anyway I can sit for the weekend and continue to ice. I tried vicoden and percocet after surgery and they both made me sick so I'm just taking my advil and as long as I'm icing it's bearable. My biggest fear is that by overcompensating on that foot I pushed it over the edge and the only thing that will help now is surgery.

It's a good thing the Olympics start tonight so I have incentive to sit here.

Nancy

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Nancy the shoe for the surgery is probably throwing off your gait and you're bracing your good foot differently on the floor to maintain balance. You've over used muscles you don't normally use that way. Try soaking your good foot in a warm/hot Epsom salt bath. When starting off without the crutches......do so in short intervals at first, you start feeling a strain on the good foot, go back to using the crutches and give it a chance to rest (sometimes 1 crutch will do) When it's rested, you can give it another go.

I had the same issue when I broke all the bones in my right foot and the doctor gave me a stupid canvas/wooden soled "boot" to wear. Once I could tolerate more pressure on the bad foot, the muscle knots and cramps on the good foot was less and less. What I wasn't prepared for was when the boot came off and I had to work through this a 2nd time in bare feet on the floor, but that was a much faster transition.

((hugs))

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I agree with UAN - however this sounds all too familiar!!! Sounds like too much weight damaged your plantar fascia, ie Achilles tendon... And it's second only to tooth pain in my opinion.

Try to sleep with your foot flexed as much as you can. This will stretch out the tendon so it can start to heal properly. What happened was it got slightly damaged, then your foot was pointed down in sleep and stayed there and it started to heal lax instead of taut. My doctor also showed me how to put that foot behind me, toes pointed forward, and leaaaaaannnnn forward slowly to stretch it.

Honestly the only thing that fixed it for me was a 7-mile walk around Difficult Child with father in law several years back... And then sleeping flexed...

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
By relying more on your left leg/foot for stability following your surgery, you probably are placing a burden on the left foot and are using it differently than is normal. You should at least put a call into your doctors office - why suffer over the weekend and wait until Monday? And, if it is something other than a strain, wouldn't you like to know and take care of it as soon as possible?

I hope it feels better. Have you considered soaking the left foot in a bath of epsom salts? That may help relieve some pain if it's due to use issues, strained muscles, etc. Hugs~

Nancy

Thank you so much for the hope you've given me, this board is filled with so much knowledge. I do think I injured my plantar fascia as I was putting all the burden on that foot, even hopping on it when my crutches were not near and I had to get somewhere. I'm hoping so much I just injured that and it will recover if I put no weight on it. I am going to try to do some stretches with that foot.

Nancy

DDD

I'm sending caring supportive thoughts your way. I have NO experience with that type of pain but ?? know what ?? LOL! I relate to the issue your facing between your ears. People like you and I (and the other WM's) are not meant to sit on their fanny watching television, or lay in the blankin' bed, or depend on others to bring a fresh drink or grab a bite to eat etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. That's almost as bad as pain. I understand that....ugh. Hugs DDD

S

Signorina

Oh Nancy! I am having problems with my achilles tendon and I feel your pain. Try some tiger balm, some gentle stretches and a foot massage if you can manage it. I had a pedicure last week and the lady next to me is a runner and she was in there just for the foot bath and the foot and calf massage (no polish). It was one of the cheap nail salons - and she pays them for the foot massage in lieu of a pedicure.

Or try resting your aching foot on a heating pad or hot water bottle.

{{{{hugs}}}}

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
You do need to put a small amount of weight on it, sweetie - but no more hopping!!! I'd still call the dr. though.

:hugs:

recoveringenabler

Staff member
Sorry for your discomfort Nancy, sending caring wishes that you are pain free quickly and back on your 'perfectly healthy' feet soon.

Kathy813

Staff member
A friend of mine had plantar fascia and she said it was very painful. She had a special orthotic that kept the muscle stretched so it didn't hurt when she walked. I think you can buy them over the counter.

I hope you are pain free soon!

~Kathy

InsaneCdn

Hopping? Yes, been there done that, but... that's probably the biggest culprit. In which case, the chances of this being recoverable are high, but in the meantime, of course... its NO FUN.
What kind of crutches are you using? If just the standard ones, you might want to switch to "gutter canes" - your weight goes on your lower arms, instead of hands (or default of armpit which is wrong). This means you can take more weight off BOTH feet using this style of cane.

Nancy

I'm off the crutches now and just in a post op shoe. But I did some research based on where the pain is and it sounds like it is related to the joint in that toe just like it was in the other and I injured it more by overuse. I'm just hoping that it can recover enough to allow me to walk until I can have surgery on that foot, usually six months I think before they let you put extra weight on it.

Not much I can do about it since there is no easy or quick fix.

Nancy

witzend

If you have a small length of rope or material, put your foot up on an ottoman, hook it over your foot and gently pull back so that your foot is at a right angle to your leg. Hold for about 30 seconds and repeat 5 - 10 times several times a day. It will stretch out that tendon. Don't overdo though! Warm foot soaks will help to loosen it up, too.

S

Signorina

Oh-yes-I learned Witz's stretch in my yoga class! One of your h's ties will work really well if you don't have a band or rope. Wide ribbon or a narrow and long scarf works too!

Lothlorien

Another exercise that you can do to help stretch the fascia is rolling a golf ball under the arch of your foot.

Nancy, I would highly suggest getting a metatarsal support for your foot, until you can get into the doctor. You should be able to get it at any surgical supply pharmacy and it doesn't require a prescription. It's just a little pad that will go under the ball of your foot and should help to support it. I know that pain well, unfortunately.

Definitely call the doctor. Don't worry about that it isn't the foot that you had the surgery on. Docs are very well aware of these types of problems. You may be able to get a cortisone injection or have therapy added to the opposite foot. It's a common problem. I worked at the orthopedics office for 14 years and this was a common thing.

Nancy

Thanks Loth, I actually have one of those metatarsal supports. I got it at the Walkign Company a couple weeks ago after I had my feet analyzed at their store. It does help but right now the swelling is so bad I can't get a shoe on. I iced all day and while it still hurts a lot it is a little better. I just have to get through tomorrow and then I will hopefully get some relief. I'd take a cortisone shot at this point even though I know the pain will be excruciating.

nancy