BIP and FBA-ideas and strategies

jannie

trying to survive....
As a parent and a teacher I've spent hours trying to write good intervention plans and also do an FBA that is really effective. All too often, I feel FBA's are just "paperwork" and don't really provide much information. I've read several websites and have been to numerous trainings.

Some of you have said that you have really good BIP in place or a well done FBA. Please let me know what you consider good. I'd love to see examples of strategies that decrease behaviors vs strategies that make things worse. I'd also like to see the steps used once behavior flares up. Sometimes I feel that kids have so many weaknesses and difficulties and it is hard to decide which behvaviors to target.

Are your kids on daily contracts at school? How often are they monitored?

I'm needed to update one or two for students at school as well as working on writing strategies for difficult child. It would be so helpful to hear some samples from all of you--

Thanks so much

Janna

Jannie,

I don't know anything about BIP's, but I have had ONE (only one lol) awesome FBA on Dylan.

What this woman did was sit down with me, teacher, principal, guidance counselor, etc, go through everything, highlight my concerns in blue, theirs in red, it's incredible.

I could scan/email this to you tomorrow or fax it (it would be colorless though) to you?

PM me if you'd like to see it.

Janna

Wiped Out

Staff member
Janine,
I'll have to look and see what I can find but because of difficult child's suspension I can't check till next week-we had a really good one in place a few years ago for a student-also difficult child's used to be effective when it was followed.

wjaes

Jannie,
It really depends on what the function of the behavor is. If you have a kid who uses his/her behavior to escape, you want to give them a way to escape that is more appropriate than what they are doing now (eg. break card, errands) but that they can access just as quickly and gain the same results. If the behaviors are frequent then they may need to be reminded that they can take a break on a regular and frequent basis (at the start of each learning block of maybe 15 minutes). If the behaviors are used to gain attention if needs to be determined if it's attention from peers and/or adults. Again, they need to be able to access it quickly and it needs to be as effective as the behavior is to gain attention (highlight 1-2 problems and then have child come to desk and/or raise hand to have teacher look at it and then give them attention for it, give tokens, stars, smiles etc. every 5 minutes or so they are staying in their seat or not calling out (whatever they do to get attention). After a set # (could be like 3-4, they can go to the office or somewhere to get a positive note to take home or sometype of concrete and tangible reinforcer). AM and PM checks often are helpful with an adult they like (and more importantly who likes them) and being able to help with a task (feeding pets, wiping down tables, helping in the library, reading to a younger child etc.) that they get lots of positives for. Also, preteach any thing that is a change in routine, if writing is an issue (lots of times it is) than find alternate ways to gain the same info from them to determine that they know it. Assistance with organization also is a big help for these kids. I can be more specific if I know more about the behavior and under what conditions it usually occurs under.