Discussion in 'General Parenting' started by Kjs, Nov 9, 2007.

  1. Kjs

    Kjs Guest

    do you have to be in Special Education to have a BIP?

    What about a child having difficulties with organization, remembering to turn in work, not understanding directions clearly. Someone that is intimidated by others and staff, very quiet and shy. Can this person have a BIP?
  2. SnowAngel

    SnowAngel New Member

    I requested IEP testing for my son who has similar issues. The process is long, so we put a 504 plan together to help with some of his immediate needs..ex: seat location, repeating directions one on one, longer test times, less problems on homework, breaks between long lessons..etc..
  3. LittleDudesMom

    LittleDudesMom Well-Known Member Staff Member


    No. As a matter of fact, in many instancces a BIP is in place before a child goes through testing.

    If this is what you are interested in having for your son, request a meeting to have a Functional Behavior Analysis done. You should get a copy to fill out before the meeting. All your son's teachers should complete the FBA as well. At the meeting, you and the team will use the information from the FBA to write up the BIP. Many times the school system will include their behavioral specialist at the meeting.

    A BIP was very helpful for my son. He had a BIP in place long before he was tested for qualification. His had things like "when difficult child shows signs of frustration, offer him a quiet place to calm down, feeding the fish, a book in the reading center, a trip to the nurse, etc." It also listed small rewards he could earn for good behavior. There were also recommendations as to how best to speak to difficult child when his frustrations were building.

    However, the downside to a BIP is it is not legally enforceable like an IEP. Now that difficult child has an IEP, many of the things in his BIP are part of the accoms/mod section of his IEP - although his BIP is still in place.

    Good luck.

  4. Star*

    Star* call 911

    our "dude" had a BIP paid for by the school district in part and part by Medicaid. He wasn't a good match (but then not many people are with Dude) When he was older and started HS - they recommended we drop the BIP. They wanted to give us WRAP services and well - let's just say I personally could not endure another 8 weeks of driving around to Krispy Kreme and looking at holiday decorations so this guy could get his time in as our in home therapist.

    -Thats when I didn't think or know I had a choice to fire him. I just kept him entertained for 6 weeks until his time was up - that way I could tell the rest of the world SEE I TOLD YOU IT DID NOT WORK AND WE DID TRY IT -

  5. Sheila

    Sheila Moderator

    No, a student doesn't have to have an IEP to need or get a BIP. It can be done with RTI (Response to Intervention) or a 504 Plan.

    This child would need "accommodations." Again, it can be done with-RTI or 504 plan.

    If you are unfamiliar with-RTI, there's a couple of threads in the Sp Ed Archives on the subject.
  6. Kjs

    Kjs Guest

    I was asking this information for a close friend of mine with her son. My son is in Special Education, has IEP/BIP. I have gone through many IEP's.

    Friend's son has many sensational issues. Only wears elastic waste pants, cannot tie his shoes (or wont). Cannot ride a 2 wheel bike, has never had friends, never goes outside. Very picky eater. Only eats a few things. (I believe more sensitive issues). Picked on in school. No eye contact. Chews on his shirt. He is 12.5 years old in 7th grade. But, friend refuses to have him tested. Refuses medication or special education. he is smart, but so many issues makes school so difficult. He didn't talk for so many years. Now he talks in such big words it doesn't seem like it comes from a child.
    Friend feels if he is in Special Education, or on medication he will never learn life skills. This boy is struggling so hard, being picked on constantly I just feel for him. She asked if there was anything she could do, but without special education I didn't know what route she can take if any. Teachers refuse to remind him to turn in work. Or remind him of missing work, and he just doesn't remember. If she would go with Special Education, have him tested or whatever I could advise her from my experience. (still struggling with my son and his school)
    Just was wondering what was available with-o spec. ed.
  7. Kjs

    Kjs Guest

    Also, he does go into fits of rage. Sometimes he has come home and flipped all the furniture over, fights with parents. Stays up all night until he just falls over exhausted for a few hours.
    Where she lives they do not have middle school. Elementary school is through 6th grade..then High School is 7 - 12. So this year is a huge change for him. Having a locker for the first time.

    Personal hygeine an issue. Has gone through some rough family issues. Step brother just left to live with his bio dad and he hasn't seen his brother in many months.(that was a bitter divorce and friend still fighting for 17 year old easy child)

    I wish I could convince friend to have him tested. Even if she chooses no medication, she would atleast know and be able to deal better with the daily challenges. My son is the opposite. So active, always on the go, never stops talking...which is in part a lot of trouble with school. The boys are the same age and so totally different from each other personality wise. Same school issues, disorganized, forgetful..mine is defiant verbally and loudly. But I have interventions in place to help him learn and become more successful. Our two boys are same age, but my son advanced a grade in early elementary school so he is in 8th grade and his last year at his middle school.
  8. Sheila

    Sheila Moderator

    An unfortunate situation for the child. Short-term denial is understandable on the parents' part -- something we've all been through to one degree or another. But it sounds as if this may have been going on for a while. Fran's "if you always do what you always did, you always get what you always got" comes to mind.

    Unofficially, educators go the extra mile for struggling students all the time. But there's only so much they can do without parent consent to evaluate and parental agreement for resulting accommodations/IEPs. Their hands are pretty much tied when parents refuse help for a student.

    Your a good friend, kjs. I hope your friend can come to terms with-her son's need for help.