Nancy423

do I have to be the mom?
Hi again. I've not been around in the last month. School is keeping me very busy and difficult child is sliding downhill as well. I was reminded yesterday that she's a 6-7year old in an 11 year old's body. So it could be that everyone might be asking more than she can handle??

We just had her IEP on Tues morning - the neurophych came to present his findings. It was very informative for the team. During the meeting the principal interrupted to say difficult child was having an issue and he needed one of the social workers. She had left the classroom again. aparantly she's been taking advantage of this "freedom" and will wander the hallways. So now they have to reign her back in and throw up boundaries. I wished them good luck with that. She's been on edge for the last 3 weeks but we can't figure out why. There's no pattern or trigger that we can identify.

Then, a few hours after I left, she was in gym class and for unknown reasons, did not want to run the track. Instead, decided to jump on her classmates bike. (It's a special suped up bike for his diability) when told she needed to get off, she started kicking the gym teacher. We were asked to pick her up from school. Principal calls last night to discuss what consequence we should give to her. We settled on an in-school and keeping her out of gym class until after spring break (next week).

Today she had some sort of problem and refused to respond to anything. The team felt that she was volitile and didn't know how to approach her so they called me again to have her picked up. But this time, they want another risk assessment (for kicking the gym teacher??? the hospital thought the school was nuts). I think they're all scared of her.
So I'm bringing her to her family doctor, and tomorrow we'll go back to the hospital for the assessment (which they didn't think was necessary!).

I'm thinking it might be time to medicate her anxiety.

We've tried Zoloft but that left her writing me notes about how she hates herself and she would eat every hour and still be hungry. 'Course, everyone keeps telling me that that was years ago and she could metabolize medications differently now. She's still only about 64lbs, not more than 10lbs heavier than a few years ago. I can't see it being much different. I'm having such a hard time digesting this. But I just can't let this go on much longer! I think I need heavy duty medications too........:whiteflag:

you know, time doesn't make it easier to hear the words "brain damage". she's just a kid who tries to make it thru one day at a time.....

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Your signature indicates the only medications she's taking are Singulair, Flovent and atarax -- is that right?

Nancy423

do I have to be the mom?
Has she ever trialed any medications for the ADD, mood, or anxiety?
tried all the stims & was on Trileptal, clonidine, & zoloft at one time or another

doctor is going to try a low dose of lexapro for a few weeks, but wants to send her to psychiatrist

gcvmom

Here we go again!
If she's had a bad reaction to Zoloft, and you know she has a mood disorder, I think I'd be leery about trying another SSRI without addressing the mood aspect for treatment first.

Hope the hospital assessment gives you some useful information!