Can you add to the IEP without

Discussion in 'General Parenting' started by Kjs, Feb 15, 2009.

  1. Kjs

    Kjs Guest

    having a meeting? The last year of middle school the program director for Special Education was very involved with difficult child. He responded to her. She worked several schools and she really enjoyed him when she was at his school. She called me one day and said she was going to add something to the IEP. It was wonderful that she did that, for him.

    Can that be done or was that just an exception?
    difficult child use to have extra time on tests because he has difficulty physically writing. It takes him longer. For some reason that has been removed. difficult child was upset on Friday because he didn't get very far on a test. He told the Special Education. teacher he has extra time and she told him no he doesn't. I reviewed the current one and it is not there. Looked at last year and it was.

    Does this have to be a full fledged meeting?
  2. ML

    ML Guest

    Good question, KJS. I don't know but I am certain others will come along and know the answer. Hang in there friend xo ML
  3. klmno

    klmno Active Member

    Things can be changed without a meeting if they are discussed and agreed upon (via phone, email, etc) AND the changes are documented in the IEP and everyone, including you, signs the revised iep. If something is supposed to be there, but is not, I'd contact them right away.

    The issue of having extra time on tests and taking tests outside the classroom, as needed, came up on my son's iep several months ago. It had been in his iep as I just wrote it here, then it suddenly was not written in there anymore. The sd told me it was because a law changed stating that either a child gets that accommodation all the time, or not at all. I knew they were giving difficult child an opportunity to do this anyway, so I put it on my list of things to address at a later meeting. Anyway, when they said "a law changed", I assumed they meant our state law, but your area of concern might be a result of something similar, I don't know.

    The iep is not valid without your signature, I don't believe, and that's the main thing.
  4. DaisyFace

    DaisyFace Love me...Love me not

    Hi KJS--

    While I'm not an expert on IEPs...I think some of the answer will depend upon your SD and exactly what level of service you are requesting.

    We recently revised my son's IEP rather informally...sending a few emails and exchanging phone calls. Everyone was in agreement and since it did not require the school to do anything major...the changes were put in place without a whole lot of formal documentation.

    At our old SD, however, any little revision had to be formally documented and reviewed by the Special Education Committee. It was like pulling teeth to have anything changed.

    Hopefully, your SD is the "easy-going" type--but if not, be prepared to go through a formal meeting process to get the revisions you are looking for.

    Best of luck!

  5. Sheila

    Sheila Moderator

    klmno is correct. Minor amendments to the IEP can be made without an IEP meeting as long as the parent agrees. This must be done in writing.

    Also see :

    (4) Agreement. (i) In making changes to a child's IEP after the annual IEP Team meeting for a school year, the parent of a child with a disability and the public agency may agree not to convene an IEP Team meeting for the purposes of making those changes, and instead may develop a written document to amend or modify the child's current IEP.

    (ii) If changes are made to the child's IEP in accordance with paragraph (a)(4)(i) of this section, the public agency must ensure that the child's IEP Team is informed of those changes.

    (5) Consolidation of IEP Team meetings. To the extent possible, the public agency must encourage the consolidation of reevaluation meetings for the child and other IEP Team meetings for the child.

    (6) Amendments. Changes to the IEP may be made either by the entire IEP Team at an IEP Team meeting, or as provided in paragraph (a)(4) of this section, by amending the IEP rather than by redrafting the entire IEP. Upon request, a parent must be provided with a revised copy of the IEP with the amendments incorporated.
  6. smallworld

    smallworld Moderator

    The only thing I would add to this discussion is that SDs are getting tougher about allowing "extended time" at the high school level without psychiatric-ed testing indicating the need because many high schoolers apply for extended time on standardized tests like the SAT and the College Board expects significant documentation.
  7. Alttlgabby

    Alttlgabby New Member

    Yes, you can add to the IEP as long as both parties are in agreement. We did this with FD1. Her math teacher wanted to move her to another math class and it would be changed in her IEP. They need to send the amendment to the IEP to you though so that you can sign it as well.
    Good Luck. Hope it is what your difficult child needs.
  8. Kjs

    Kjs Guest


    The past few algebra tests difficult child would go in early or stay after school to complete the test. Or spend the next day's break or lunch doing this.

    This past Friday he was really upset that he couldn't finish the test. The Special Education teacher (I am not to fond of) observed the class. She told him NO, he cannot have extra time and he cannot come in to complete.

    He CAN retake any test if he gets 70% or less.

    I emailed the program director. She is the one who ran the IEP meeting. I asked her why the portion regarding extra time for tests was removed. I do not recall discussing that.

    She writes back that the portion that was removed regarding extra time was in reference to the State Tests only. And she has no idea why it was removed.
    She says they (sd) must go by what was documented on the last evaluation.

    I reply stating the last evaluation was done two years ago by the school district. it is stated very clearly that he has difficulty writing. And with her (school psychologist) observation it looks as if he is actually in pain. Her recommendations for computer use and alpha smart.

    Ok - now after that, SD doesn't want to go by that evaluation. Now they want to send me papers to sign to release so they can speak to his new therapist.

    I told her that I signed a release at school and at therapist's office. therapist spoke to the principal already. However phone calls are not covered by insurance (I had no idea about this). The one call cost me well over $100 and I cannot afford that. I asked what documentation she would like and I would speak to therapist to see if he can supply the information.

    Then she writes that the Special Education teacher notified her several weeks ago thinking it would be a good idea for difficult child to have an alpha smart.
    difficult child wants one. Heck, he said he would take notes then.

    Well, sd writes back and says it is not a good idea to use this in high school. The kids need to move on. It would be a better idea for him to use the computers in the resource room. I replied that would be wonderful if he could just pick up and take that computer to class to take notes on. Currently he takes NO notes. If he were able to type he may take notes. No guarantee. She will look into it.

    Now TODAY I logon and Math teacher emails me. Says she can no longer allow difficult child to complete his tests as he has done in the past.

    WHAT??? So if he doesn't write fast enough he fails? He had no problem with multiple choice or computer tests, it is the actual physical writing that takes him much longer. He has been going in the next day all year for math when he doesn't finish. I know exactly what will happen now. He will just put anything down - or half of what he is suppose to so he can finish.

    Now what??
  9. smallworld

    smallworld Moderator

    I recommend calling an IEP meeting to discuss the issue.
  10. klmno

    klmno Active Member

    This sounds similar, although not exactly, what we went through with sd/my son last month. My layman's opinion is this: If they don't want to accept the last eva's anymore, they can do their own, and make sure they assess ALL areas of suspected disability. I would not sign release for them to talk to therapist. If he can be useful, maybe you can get him to write a letter and take the sd the letter yourself.

    Bologna on the "time to move on". Disabilities don't always "move on" and they are still required to accommodate them, in my humble opinion.
  11. ctmom05

    ctmom05 Member