Can you handle another H1N1 question?

K

Kjs

difficult child goes to a small school. A classmate/friend was sent to school sick for over a week. difficult child sits next to him. (mom wouldn't let him stay home) so he just slept through the school day. Anyway, was eventually confirmed H1n1 so he is now out for two weeks, but feels fine now.

difficult child started coughing Thursday. Friday had fever of 100. Stuffy nose, body aches, very tired, sore throat. Said his head hurts really bad and feels like he is coughing up razor blades. This morning he called me at work. He is feeling very ill. Temp up to 101.

At what point do you call the doctor or go to the clinic? And if you go do they do anything?

He has had walking pnuemonia almost yearly. I don't want it to turn into that.

I hate to bring him in, only to be told "rest, drink plenty of liquids" I KNOW that. I am more concerned over his breathing.

When I was in ER the other day, I asked if they have seen a lot of positive H1N1. (the waiting room was full of people wearing masks). I was told they do not test for that there. They test for Influenza A. If that comes back positive then you get sent to the Health department. That just makes no sense to me.

For those who have had it...How long does this last? There are several people in his small school with confirmed cases.

donna723

I really don't know the answer to your question but it just burns me up to hear about the child who was sent to school sick for a week, even in the middle of a flu epidemic! What are those people thinking? Not only is it horrible for the child who is sick but he's spreading it around to all the other kids and the teachers! Maybe it's just me, but every time I hear about some kid getting a 'perfect attendance' award, I just want to go up to the parents and blap them a good one! I was always thinking, "Yeah, good for you! You're the one who sent his sick kid to school and then MINE caught it!" Either that child had been lucky enough to never be sick for even one day, or they were sending them to school, sick or not!

I work in a prison where we have over 1,200 inmates and about 400 staff, all in close proximity and NOT where you want a flu epidemic going around! At first they had signs up asking people, visitors and staff, who were sick not to enter. Now, they have signs up saying that they will REFUSE to allow someone who is obviously sick to enter the institution! And because we are a govt. entity, we are getting enough vaccine to immunize both inmates and staff ... it's a little late in coming but better than nothing.

crazymama30

I suspect that easy child and I had it. Mine lasted 5 days, easy child ran fevers for 2 weeks. There really is nothing they can do. If he starts really working to breathe or gets dehydrated then you would need to to take him in. With his history of walking pneumonia I would be concerned. He really needs to push fluids, water, juice gatorade. I would keep an eye on him, and call his primary care provider and let them know what is going on and ask what they suggest you do. That way they kinda know what is going on.

smallworld

If you want to get it confirmed and get on Tamiflu to lessen the severity and duration of H1N1, you need to see a doctor within 48 hours of onset. Once that 48 hour window is over, there is no point in getting on Tamiflu.

If the child starts to get better (fever goes away, cough improves) and then suddenly takes a turn for the worse (fever comes back, cough gets worse or child has trouble breathing), you must seek medical attention ASAP.

Last edited:

BusynMember

From what I've heard (and daughter and hub have it here) the hysteria over Swine Flu is just that...hysteria. People die every year of the flu, mostly those who are ill already.

My daughter is still sick and hers developed into an ear infection and a respiratory infection so now she's on antibiotics and is doing much better. That's the rub...it CAN turn into other things and you have to watch it.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
in my opinion it's not hysteria. Yes, people die every year due to the run of the mills variations of the influenza virus. But those people are usually the very eldery or immuno-compromised in some way.

H1N1 isn't just killing the normal very suseptible victims, but the healthy young people flu normally doesn't phase.

easy child has several patients in her hospital now. Young people. Not the elderly, not immuno-compromised. Young. On ventilators. Fighting to live.

The real danger with this virus is that the more it spreads among the population, the more opportunity it has to mutate. The CDC is very worried about possibly mutations.

I heard this morning it's considered at this point a National Emergency. Not exactly sure what they mean by that.

But easy child is reconsidering vaccinating the boys. She wasn't going to. Until I reminded her that when Darrin goes to school each day he comes in contact with nearly every child in the entire county.......and lord only knows what they've been exposed to......and he's bringing it home to the baby.

Nichole called the health dept. I don't know if it's due to supply or not, but currently it's not available for children/healthy adults.

easy child has ordered me to call them monday and see if I can get it due to the chronic renal failure. She's offered to pay for it. If, of course, they have any.

I'll tell you what, I use hand sanitizer constantly. I wash my hands constantly.

Best defense it good handwashing......and washing often.

Word of mouth has it that hosps in cincy are beginning to fill up with h1n1 patients.

Many places have stopped testing for h1n1. They test for influenza A, if it's positive, they assume the patient has h1n1 and treat accordingly. The test for swine flu is expensive and takes time to get the results.

I don't think we need to get hysterical about this virus. But we do need to take it seriously.

BusynMember

I'm sort of just repeating what I've been told by our doctors here, and maybe they're wrong or just numb. We were told that people die from the regular flu every year and Swine kills very few. There ARE the few young people who die from it but it is truly in the vast, vast minority.

I *did* hear there will have to be another shot next year...maybe due to the mutating. No doubt this is a nasty flu. This is the first time my daughter has ever missed five days of school or a school has shut down to stop a flu from spreading. I didn't mean to minimize it. I really don't know what to think based on what I've been told, but I know I don't like this illness, however dangerous or not dangerous it is.

DammitJanet

Im worried. We saw last year what a simple ear infection could do to someone when mine turned into meningitis. I am hunting the flu shots all over my county and it doesnt appear there is one available. I have been told it will be here on Tuesday at a local CVS. I will be there with bells on.

donna723

I'm hoping that my daughter can get the vaccinations at work because she's a prime target. She a nurse working in a doctors office and they get a little bit of everything coming through there ... and she has a six month old baby at home! And what she doesn't catch at work, the baby will pick up in day care and bring home. Really scary stuff!

KTMom91

Since I read two papers a day, it's sometimes hard to remember my sources, however...the reason that h1n1 is a "young person's flu" is because of the 1918 outbreak, and the epidemic after either WWII or the Korean Conflict. The people who went through either (or both) of those still have the antibodies built up against this very similar flu, and those of us who do not are more susceptible.

For the record, I've been sick now (off and on) for about a month. I feel great for a couple of days, then I'm back in bed with all symptoms raging. I worked three days last week, and started coughing again yesterday. I've also been through two rounds of antibiotics, because I've had pneumonia several times. I'm not working today, so we'll see how I feel later on.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Kjs, if your son is prone to pneumonia, I would at least call your Dr's office and find out what, if anything at all, they will do if they suspect your son has H1N1. Yes, commons sense measures are to drink plenty of fluids and rest, but given his history with pneumonia, I'd be extra cautious in his case.

There was a segment on 60 Minutes last sunday (not yesterday) about a high school football student who fell ill. Almost instantly, he ended up in the hospital on a respirator due to the fact that not only had he contracted the H1N1 virus, but he also had a bacterial pneumonia infection.

Being extra cautious about what we expose ourselves to, staying out of crowded areas, skipping dining out and places like the mall, etc., are very important. Also, anti-bacterial wipes and the like are great for on the go such as the market, etc., but DO NOT RELY ON THESE. In fact, anti-bacterial cleansers are bad as long term protection because they strip all bacterias, even the healthy ones we need to fight germs and infections. It is WAY better to just wash your hands and face with regular soap and hot water to keep germs at bay. Keep yourselves well hydrated and make sure you're eating right and at least taking a daily vitamin supplement. I upped my Vitamin C. I'm going to start using Peapod for food shopping when I can and I am planning on doing almost all of my holiday shopping on line this year to avoid being in crowds. I don't think it's not hysteria to be extra cautious about contracting what could be a deadly infection.