Computer Geeks...XBOX360...Routers???

K

Kjs

Can anyone help me?

difficult child is going to get an XBOX360. He wants to play "live".
I have been looking into wireless routers, but have no idea what kind work with a gaming system.

Anyone have XBOX360 and play live?
Do you have to buy an adapter for XBOX?

F

flutterbee

I asked easy child and he said you have to buy a wireless adapter if you want to use a wireless router. The wireless adapter costs around $80.00. Any regular router like you use for your computer will work with Xbox360, but Xbox360 is not wireless out of the box which is why you need the adapter. Or you can use a wired network and you hook the ethernet cable into the router or directly into the internet modem.

Also, there is an annual subscription fee for Xbox Live of $50.00. Or you can do a monthly subscription, but you end up paying more.

F

flutterbee

And then if he's playing live, he's probably going to want the headset so he can talk to the people he's playing with. I forget how much that cost.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Uh huh....

Frewlakjd akljdf0i2104 and 1093u41093 a yopui a;ldfal;kd f tp tje a;sld 'fa 304kam c
a[pdf m

GOT IT!

lol

F

flutterbee

Clear as mud, eh?

How's this?

1. If you want to use a wireless router, you have to purchase a wireless adapter (around $80.00) for the Xbox360.

2. Any router you use for your in-home network (Linksys, whatever) will work with the 360.

3. You don't have to go the wireless route, if you're ok having the router or internet modem hooked directly to the 360. It's cheaper that way and you won't lose any connection speed like you might going wireless. However, if you hook directly into the internet modem, noone else will be able to be online at the same time. IOW, the computer will have to be unhooked from the modem in order to hook the 360 into it.

4. After you get all that done, you have to subscribe to Xbox Live. Some games come with a card that gives you like 30 days for free. After that, you have to subscribe and can either pay annually ($50.00) or monthly at a higher rate.

5. If difficult child wants to be able to talk to other online players, he'll have to have a headset that I *think* plugs into the controller. I can't remember how much the headset cost...somewhere between $25 and $50 probably. Or you can get a bluetooth headset.

Sigh. Can you tell we've done this? Can you tell Microsoft has their hands in the pot?

Thankfully, the PS3 is wireless already and there is no subscription...nothing to join. Plus, it's just a much better product.

It might just be easier to talk directly to my son. He's a pro at this.

Mattsmom277

We kept it simple. We have all wireless computers in the house anyhow, so where the router is located is really of no importance. So we put a wireless router/modem right beside difficult child's xbox and he simply plugs right into the back of it for a direct connection. No need to purchase anything special, why spend the money? Of course that is if your computers are wireless capable around the house.

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
KJS, I bought SO an XBox 360 at Costco who had a holiday bundle.

It came with the headset, an xtra controller, the recharger and two games, a month free XBox live and cables came with it. I didn't get the wireless adapter because my easy child, who had one, gave it to SO and just hooked his Xbox to the computer router direct.

I will ask him when he gets home to find you one on line that is less than 80.00 - he is a bit of a techno geek :smile: and knows where to go to get the cheap stuff..

Marcie

LittleDudesMom

Like the others have said, you don't have to go wireless, but it certainly makes things easier (less cords everywhere).

You actually have two options. Purchase the wireless router yourself, or ask your internet provider. I actually had my internet provider install it (and I purchased it from comcast as well). The guy came out and explained it all to me so it was worth the extra $15 is cost to do it that way. He also showed me how to connect my printer to all the laptops and to put time contraints on easy child's laptop (no access to the internet after a certain time on school nights!)

The live headset comes with the 360 - it is wired to the handset. You can also get the wireless version which is a seperate purchase. The cables to connect your 360 to the computer also come with the console. However, you will need to purchase the wireless attenna seperately if you choose that route.

Good luck!

Sharon