Could someone clarify

klmno

what symptons of aspergers and Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) mimic BiPolar (BP) symptons?

Also, I've been wondering how a stimulate can help people focus? It seems to me that it would aid in "revving" them up instead of "reeeling " them in.

Thanks!

M

ML

I am sure someone will come along with great answers. But I will tell you that most of my son's symptoms cross over. One of them is sensory sensitivity.

I just read an article about telling kids they have AS by Toni Atwood. I want to do this but I need to confirm my suspicsions first. He deserves to understand why he is different. I think it will help his self confidence in the long run.

It's so confusing.

BusynMember

Raging. Moodswings. Freaking out when being told "no." When things don't go right, flipping out.
Whats different:
Bipolars are usually better socially and make better eye contact. Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) kids tend to be very socially inappropriate and the older they get the more obvious it is that they are "odd ducks." Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) kids do stims such as making high pitch noises, flapping arms, spinning. They often have Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) behaviors, but they LIKE their obsessions. Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) kids usually have delayed speech, strange speech, and often poor fine motor skills. Speech problems and fine and gross motor problems are not really a part of bipolar. Often bipolar kids talk and walk early. Both Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) and bipolar kids have trouble sleeping. Both Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) and bipolar kids can be hyper at times or all the time. Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) kids have sensory issues--sensitivity to lights, sounds, touch, feel, etc. But bipolar kids can too--I have these sensory issues and I'm on the mood spectrum. Son has them but he's on the autism spectrum.
Autistic spectrum kids are more oblivious to social norms than bipolar kids. Bipolar and autism both run in the family. They can be hard to tell apart, especially in young kids, and psychiatrists often don't know that much about Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD). That's why I recommend NeuroPsychs, who know both neurology and psychology and test for both.
That was just off the top of my head.

Josie

difficult child's psychiatrist said that some kids have low dopamine levels in their brain so they go around looking for ways to stimulate it, even if they have to poke someone else with a pencil. The stimulant increases the dopamine level for them so they are able to focus better.

klmno

Thanks, all! That is some good info- I'm signing off for a bit now.

Everyone have a nice weekend!!

susiestar

Roll With It
Our first psychiatrist said in kids withADHD theit bodies don't process medications right. The stimulant actually gets their brain and their bodies working at the same speed.

As for Aspie and BiPolar (BP), my Aspie has heard voices, been psychotic, complete rage when told no for any reason, no matter how often the same situation has happened.

His obsessions were to the extent of eliminating everything in his life.

Aspies sometimes benefit from medications, but more often benefit fromcalm, stability, treating Sensory Integration stuff, and we had several psychiatrists and tdocs tell us Aspies do really well as only children. Not sure if BiPolar (BP) benefits from that.

Bipolar seems to REQUIRE medications to regulate moods. Aspies CAN learn to do this themselves, given enough time and maturity.

Hope you have a great weekend.

Susie