dandelion..

cmdh

difficult child's dr recomended dandelion for her constipation. Her stool is really soft her colon just doesn't have the contractions to push it out... parentiesis .. not sure of the sp.

anyone ever used it? There was some reference to laytex in some of the research ??

I really hate trying to give her new things but at this point I don't think we have a choice.

Thanks

I have not used it but dandelion is an interesting herb. Here is some info on it's uses: "The bitter compounds in the dandelionleaves and root help stimulate digestion and are mild laxatives. They also increase bile production in the gall bladder and bile flow from the liver. This makes Dandelion a great tonic for people with sluggish liver function due to alcohol abuse or poor diet. The increase in bile flow can help improve fat (including cholesterol) metabolism in the body.

The whole plant is valuable as a general tonic. It may be taken as an infusion of the leaf, a juice extraction, a root decoction, a fluid extract or a tincture. Fresh leaves may be added to salads. The juice extraction is the most potent for medicinal purposes.

Dandelion has reportedly been used to eradicate warts and to soothe calluses, bee stings, or sores.

Many herbalists view the Dandelion as an effective treatment for liver disease, even in extreme cases such as cirrhosis. It can also benefit the pancreas, kidneys, stomach, and spleen. The dried leaf, taken as a tea, is used as a mild laxative to relieve constipation.

Dandelion leaf is a good natural source of potassium, and will replenish any potassium that may be lost due to the herb's diuretic action on the kidneys. This means Dandelion is a safe diuretic in cases of water retention due to heart problems.

The herb is useful in cases of anaemia and hepatitis, and may help to lower high blood pressure. Dandelion may also provide relief for rheumatism and arthritis.

Dandelion therapy, consisting of therapeutic doses of dandelion preparations taken over time, may help reduce stiffness and increase mobility in situations of chronic degenerative joint disease." altmedicine.com

cmdh

yep that's what I found. Interesting appears to cover just about everything!

Just gave her 1/2 dose and so far no reactions.

love those natural alternatives!!!! :laugh:

Thanks

pepperidge

Don't know anything about dandelion, unfortunately, but I see from your sig that your child has PANDAS. Are you doing anything for it? My son also has it.

Sorry to go off in a different direction here.

Thanks
chris