Did I mention that I HATE cleaning house?

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I'm hosting my monthly afternoon bunco group tomorrow. My housekeeping has fallen a bit, er, a LOT behind. I know it shouldn't matter what it looks like, but in some sick way I feel like it is a reflection on me, even though I'm not the one who makes 95% of the mess around here.

I guess I rely too much on the solitude I have here, not needing to explain why my kids and spouse don't pitch in more, take more personal responsibility for their messes, be more independent. Not having many visitors, I don't have to explain how or why I am so behind in keeping up with the clutter, the dust, the dirt. Having "outsiders" over brings another reality crashing down on MY reality, and the two just don't mix comfortably for me.

Some day I may be able to reconcile those differences. Probably when the kids move out and it's just me and difficult child-husband again (one difficult child to clean up after is much easier than 3.5!) Part of it may be because I don't know everyone in this particular group that's coming over very well. Maybe that's why I don't enjoy this group as much... something for me to think about.

So husband was kind enough to take the kids out to dinner so I could continue with my cleaning bathrooms, vacuuming, mopping, dusting... I still have to cook in the morning... attempting some of those yummy quiches you all suggested! :D I'll let you know how it turns out!

(Ridiculous amount of fuss for a two hour party... :tongue: )

Lothlorien

Believe me. I know how you feel, but you will feel comfortable, in the end, having them over to a clean house.

What time is Bunco? I'm coming over with an eggstrata. I love Bunco.

tiredmommy

Gcvmom-

I try to schedule regular get-togethers here just so I'm motivated to try to keep up. So I understand... I truly understand!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
11:30am -- and you're ALLLLLL invited!!!!

I'm serving goat cheese quiche with hashbrown crust, broccoli cheddar quiche (traditional crust), spring salad, fruit, and your choice of white wine (saugvignon blanc or reisling, green tea, diet cola or water), and some quick and simple dessert from a box :D (haven't gotten that far yet... TOO MANY EARTHQUAKES DISTRACTING ME!!!)

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
just blame the earthquakes for the house?!?!? I love quiche. Not familiar with Bunco but willing to learn. hope things have settled a bit.

beth

witzend

I do bunco at my house at least twice a year. It keeps me up on the super house-cleaning and the yard, and keeps husband up on finishing household projects.

Honest to Pete, we used to play with this woman who had a tiny little house and she kept the dirty cat litter box in the kitchen next to the table we were playing on. :sick: I know your house isn't that bad.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Beth, if you can roll dice, you can play bunco! If you come to Ohio in July, we'll teach you!

Witz, I just got husband to finally install a "doggie door" in the door to the garage (ours is attached to the house), so that I could move the friggin' litter box from the bathroom to the garage. I was so unbelieveably tired of the cats tracking litter all over the house (and since I've got hard floors, it scatters everywhere). I can't imagine keeping it in the kitchen, though. That IS pretty gross.

I tell you, though, having difficult child boys can be pretty nasty in the grime department. I just finished scouring difficult child 1's bathroom -- not pretty. And he accumulates food and dishes in his room, drives me nuts, so I've learned to close the door and gently nag about the unsanitary conditions in there... all I have to do is ask him if he'd like to wake up with ants crawling all over his bed and he puts a little more effort into getting stuff picked up... for about 5 minutes. :p

Okay, well, the house is about as clean as it's gonna get. I've got some prep work to do and off to bed.

Abbey

Spork Queen
Bunco is the BEST!!! I used to belong to a group of 40+ people who met once a week. I loved it. (I always seemed to skate the hosting at my house, though.) I just remember that darned stuffed animal, or whatever the object of the night was, being tossed from room to room.

Abbey

Jena

Bunco, what is bunco?? I wanna play!! Can I play alone?? LOL> i have like 1 friend here since i moved here almost 2 years ago.

everyone's very snudy here, coach baggish sort of thing. Coach bags are nice, yet it's all they seem to do is shop and talk about the next bag their getting.....

ok i just went totally off topic. lol. sorry too much coffee today!!! :)

have a great time with-your bunco gathering!! in your clean house

trinityroyal

I have no idea what bunco is either, but it sounds like a blast.

I too understand the need to have your house at least decent if not spotless, especially if you don't know the people all that well. It seems like we all play that game to a certain extent:

"No, I didn't just spend the whole day frantically cleaning my house, it ALWAYS looks like this (looking around innocently and whistling)"

At the same time, it makes you feel more at ease with your guests, not to have your house looking like a pit of despair.

And Witz, a cat box in the kitchen?! Eeeeewwww! I would definitely feel the same way. Getting the creepy-crawls just thinking about it.

Abbey

Spork Queen
No, silly...you can't play Bunco alone. I guess in some sense you could, but it would be rather boring. You'd be tossing something to yourself every now and then. I KNOW I CAN GET IT!!!

http://www.bunco.com/

Abbey

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Well, I survived! :tongue:

The house ain't spotless, but it's a darn sight better than it was yesterday! I don't have a "show" house -- it's a home that we live in... you come here and you'll know I have kids, pets, bills, hobbies, a LIFE. Some of these other places I've been to are just too polished to relax in, Know what I mean??

Jena/Trinity, bunco is just a dice game, kinda like Yahtzee, only simpler. MUCH simpler. You typically play with 12 people (or in Abbey's case, the whole neighborhood!) There are four people to a table and you are paired up. You start by trying to roll 1's. There are variations on the rules, but the object is to get to 21, and then that round ends and you go to the next number (2's, and so on). You play through to 6's, then you start all over again -- usually three rounds all together.

The game is really just a ruse to get together with friends for a few hours to have fun :) The evening group I used to play with has morphed into LNO (ladies' night out) -- we don't even play anymore! But we have a great time having dinner together once a month. :D

Star*

call 911........call 911
I loved the game.

I HATED the thought of having strangers in my house.

Stopped playing because it became stressful more than fun.

(times like this (dat da hda dhaaaa) a leave blower makes quick work of cleaning)

:surprise:

oh yes - i did.