Difference between Asperger's and ADHD

lovelyboy

There is 2 things that I read in these posts that I would like to clarify?
I don't understand why Aspie is seperated from Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD)......because, in my opinion, Aspergers IS on the autism spectrum...and Aspies have an Autism Spectrum Disorder!?
Secondly...some mention extreme ADHD or inattentive ADHD....in my opinion, there is 2 types: ADD with hyperactivity or ADD without hyperactivity(the motor driven part).... So if you have ADHD but not ' on the go' you have ADD.....?!Right?

Malika, you mention little dude wanting to be in control....that can come from increased anxiety or poor sensory integration issues, poor motor planning....So the child tries to control his environment to predict activities he knows he can handle and will get upset if things doesnt go his way....

To throw in a third confusing aspect....Some kids might SEEM to be hyperactive, but is actually only sensory seekers...You can google the difference between ADHD and sensory integration disfunction....

InsaneCdn

In the old days, they diagnosed ADD and ADHD that way... now it's ADHD and ADHD-inattentive type. Same symptoms, different label.

Yes, Aspie is considered a Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) just like Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD), and in the new DSM will be lumped together. ADHD is not pervasive. The way it was described to me, ADHD (including ADHD-inattentive type) are people with some Aspie traits, but not enough (or not the right ones) to meet diagnostic cut-off for Aspergers.

lovelyboy

Thanx InsaneCdn!
It's weird to think they put ADHD as Aspie-lite! Because my aspie doesn't have any ADHD....maybe a little ADD, but its because of "disconnecting" when overstimulated!
Do you think its one of those situations where all ADHD has a touch of AS but not all Aspies have a touch of ADHD?

InsaneCdn

lms... yes. The "ADHD" symptoms are among the ones that "can" be part of Aspie... but not the ones that define "being Aspie". Just like Sensory Integration Disorder (SID) or Auditory Processing Disorders (APD), for example. Many Aspies have those too, but not all of them. If you ARE an Aspie, you technically can't get ADHD or Sensory Integration Disorder (SID) as a diagnosis, because it is part of the definition (I believe Auditory Processing Disorders (APD) is still separate). But many psychiatrists give those as a secondary diagnosis to "refine" the Aspie diagnosis... to actually indicate to schools and others the kinds of issues this kid is dealing with.

In the old days, they diagnosed ADD and ADHD that way... now it's ADHD and ADHD-inattentive type. Same symptoms, different label.

Yes, Aspie is considered a Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) just like Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD), and in the new DSM will be lumped together. ADHD is not pervasive. The way it was described to me, ADHD (including ADHD-inattentive type) are people with some Aspie traits, but not enough (or not the right ones) to meet diagnostic cut-off for Aspergers.

That sounds so much like my difficult child - He is so ADHD - fidgety, distracted, unable to organize himself - but does not have the Aspie traits required to meet an Aspie diagnosis.

I'm very interested in the Auditory Processing Disorders (APD) and Sensory Integration Disorder (SID) and am going to look into them further.

This conversation is very informative and interesting. I'm finding it very helpful. Thank you!

InsaneCdn

w2ws... also check out Developmental Coordination Disorder (DCD) - it's another one of the "developmental" dxes... which officially can't be given if you have the Aspie diagnosis. www.canchild.ca is a good source of info on Developmental Coordination Disorder (DCD).

buddy

Lovelyboy, in the USA it gets confusing (label wise) because in our educational system there is a different term for kids on the spectrum than in the medical community (for now, that is changing). So, up to now...the schools use Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) for any child on the spectrum including kids who are profoundly impaired or who have Rett's Syndrome all the way to people who have Asperger's. But in the medical community, the current DSM uses the general category of Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) (pervasive developmental disorder) and under that are the sub categories (or diagnosis) of Autism, Asperger's, Rett's Syndrome, Childhood Disintegrative Disorder, and Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)-not otherwise specified.

The medical community may or may not look at school test results-all depends on the doctor, but the individual needs a medical diagnosis from a dr. or psychiatric. to have insurance pay for any therapies.

The school is supposed to consider all medical results, and indeed mine used the most recent standardized evaluations like the ADOS which was done in the medical setting, but they do not have to accept the category solely based on medical say so, unless their own evaluation fully shows that the child meets the educational criteria including it affecting the child in school performance (which is supposed to include non academic things)

Now, with the new edition of the DSM, the Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) categories are being collapsed into Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) which they say will include people who have Asperger's and Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)-not otherwise specified but many dispute that and it will remain to be seen how this all goes. But as in the schools,officially anyone on the spectrum would have the diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD). I believe that in the general public, Asperger's and terms like High-Functioning Autism (HFA) and Aspie lite...will go on and on because most people can relate to these kinds of ideas better when truly discussing symptoms and problems and ideas with each other. That's just my opinion.

And here again, the DSM...what the doctors use for diagnosis for insurance purposes... the category is ADHD and ADHD-inattentive type. yes, that's odd if you ask me. But people in the general public know what people mean if they say ADD versus ADHD.

Clear as mud, right?

BusynMember

Yep. Aspergers is no longer listed in the DSM. Neither is Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)-not otherwise specified. They are all under the umbrella of autistic spectrum disorder. I think t he day may come with many ADHD kids will also be listed on the spectrum because there isn't much of a difference in my opinion. ADHD labels get a lack of interventioins because nobody takes ADHD seriously...yet often they are as impaired as any kid on the spectrum. I have one little guy (age four) on my bus who has an ADHD label, but he is clearly with many spectrum behaviors, but, although he can't sit still and hits people next to him and screams in a very annoying way, he is not getting the services a special needs child should get. Clearly, he is not your "normal" four year old and the other kids (all his same age peers) do not have much tolerance for his annoying behavior. I feel so badly for him. I have to sit beside him on the bus or he'll take off his seat belt and make annoying sounds. He is the only child out of 20 who does that.

MWM - Thankfully, at least in our region, this is changing. School boards must now recognize that ADHD requires an IEP and extra interventions just like Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) or any other disability might.

Some progress there, at least.

Insane - I checked out that website - thank you. Something to keep in mind as we muddle through this process of figuring out our difficult child.

BusynMember

Welcome, in our district you MIGHT get services for an ADHD label if there is significant impairment, and often there is. But it's harder. Also, ADHD is rarely a stand alone diagnosis anyway.

Californiablonde

I am confused by some of these definitions. My son had very obvious speech and motor skills delays and he is Asperger's and ADHD. My son is full of humor and loves to make people laugh, but has very little to no social skills whatsoever. Basically he says stuff to p**s people off all the time but for the life of him just can't grasp why what he does/says is wrong. By his definition, since he was speech delayed and has poor motor skills, wouldn't that rule out Asperger's? Would he be more Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)? I'm very confused here.

InsaneCdn

Speech delays can be part of Asperger's. So can motor skills issues, and ADHD-type symptoms. And, I understand, all sorts of other things.

The key factor, from what I understand now, is that you can have all sorts of developmental challenges, but unless you have the social skills issues, you cannot be Aspie.... therefore, enough pieces minus social skills problems would likely be where Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)-not otherwise specified comes in.

Californiablonde

Well then by that definition easy child is Asperger's for sure. His very obvious lack of social skills is what sets him apart from the crowd. Poor guy I really feel bad for him because he just doesn't get other people and why what he says or does is upsetting to them. He is taking a social skills class though and that seems to be helping.

BusynMember

My neuropsychologist was very literal. Because Sonic had speech problems, he was diagnosed as Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)-not otherwise specified, but I think he's far more high functioning than many kids with Aspergers or even ADHD. It's the professionals call on what to label it. My son also has an excellent sense of humor.