difficult child and playdoh

shellyd67

difficult child had a book report due last week. We had him start working on it as soon as it was assigned so it wouldn't be too overwhelming for him.

He gathered all his information and began to get a little frustrated.

I offered him some playdoh that I had for easy child's Halloween party.

He began squeezing it and seemed to really calm down and did a great job on his work.

I guess it's a sensory thing. I am going to have it on hand during homework and study times to relieve a little frustation.

Who woulda thunk it ? :D

Jena

yea play dough's awesome. back in my other life when i taught special needs pre k we used that alot. totally calming thing. glad it worked. we have a whole box of it in our dining room

Marguerite

difficult child 3 was given a stress ball by his school.

We also sometimes make fresh pasta (whole egg, plain flour and a pinch of salt) which gives him a chance to squeeze dough. He also helps me by cranking the handle on the rollers. Bread dough is good, but trickier. Best of all, and we've done it since he was a toddler, is making potato gnocchi. It's really good for kids because they get to roll out a 'snake' of dough, then cut it in thumbnail lengths. Press each dumpling gently with a fork, then roll off the fork. It's been prescribed as therapy for difficult child 3, the Occupational Therapist (OT) was so impressed by it.

You use what you've got. The play doh sounds like it worked really well!

Marg

B

Bunny

I think I will have to remember that the next time difficult child gets frustrated with something. Thanks!

Pam

susiestar

Roll With It
Sensory things like that can make a GIANT difference in how kids cope. Helps adults too!

My kids like the sensory aspect of playdoh squishing, but the scent drove them nuts. We all despise it. There are all kinds of playdoh recipes online that are super easy to make, and MUCH cheaper than purchasing play doh. We really liked the dough that was colored and scneted with unsweetened Koolaid packets.

My kids liked it so much that we filled Easter eggs with it for an egg hunt one year. The kids at the hunt liked those eggs more than the ones filled with candy or even quarters!

For the upcoming holidays you can make a dough out of cinnamon and applesauce that can be made into ornaments (use the cheapest cinnamon you can find at the dollar store or Big Lots because you need several cups of it). Then you can bake the dough and give the ornaments away as gifts.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Play Doh is awesome - creative, calming, it's just awesome.

Growing up we always had it in the house and I always had it in the house with my kids too (in fact we still have it! easy child is addicted to the stuff!). My gramma had anxiety as she aged and whenever we played with play doh growing up, she would sit with us and it seemed to help her a alot.

I'm glad you found it helpful~

H

HaoZi

Tried it today, it's too distracting for my kiddo to have before or during homework.