difficult child is in the hospital

Wiped Out

Staff member
As an update to my other thread, I received a call this afternoon that a bed had opened up. We brought him in tonight. He took it better than we expected. He said he didn't want to go. We told him it was a safety issue and we needed him to be safe for all of our sakes (including him). It helped that we took him to Wendy's (probably shouldn't use food as a comfort bribe-oh well).

When we were in admissions his moods fluctuated between sad, angry, and silly. He even gave me a hug and told me he loved me (he did for husband as well but he always does for husband). As usual it was hard to leave him there.

Thank you all for helping me to realize that this was a step that needed to be taken.

Please keep a good thought or say a prayer the outcome of this hospitalization is positive.

klmno

I'm really sorry it got to that point- I know it is hard for you (and him). But I am soooo glad that you realized that you didn't put yourself in that position, it was just a position you were in and you are protecting him best by preventing him harming anyone during this period. Many heartfelt hugs going out to you.....

tiredmommy

Sending a big {{{hug}}} to you, difficult child, husband, and easy child. I'm also praying that difficult child is stabilized quickly and is able to return home in a much healthier frame of mind...

nvts

Many hugs and prayers to you, husband and difficult child. He needed this, you needed this and hopefully they can get things straighter in the shortest period of time.

Beth

slsh

member since 1999
Sharon, sending many good thoughts your family's way. You and husband continue to keep me in awe with your ability to handle the most difficult of situations. I hope that some positive solutions will come of this hospitalization. Take good care of yourselves and decompress while you can. Many hugs to you.

LittleDudesMom

Sharon,

you've done what is best for difficult child. Now you, husband and easy child/difficult child take a breather. Sending hugs, support, positive thoughts and prayers.

Sharon

crazymama30

Hugs, I remember when I had husband admitted to psychiatric hospital, and I hated every minute while it was sorely needed. Hugs, and try to get some rest if you can. I hope this hospitalization is a good thing, and that difficult child is more stable when he is d/c'd. Do something nice for the rest of you family.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I truly believe this is the best thing you could have done with the way things have been going for him lately. Maximize this respite time while he's getting the help he needs. I hope that he is truly stable when he's finally released.

(((((Hugs)))))

trinityroyal

Sending good thoughts and prayers that difficult child is able to get stabilized, and that you, husband and easy child/difficult child get some well-needed rest. difficult child is safe. You all need to decompress.

Many hugs,
Trinity

everywoman

Sharon, please take this time to refresh yourself. You have been such a warrior mom and you and husband need to take this time to regroup.

M

ML

My thoughts are prayers are with you and I look forward to hearing a positive update soon!

Wiped Out

Staff member
I want to thank everyone for their good thoughts and prayers. We've been lucky that difficult child's psychiatrist was at the hospital this weekend. He won't be on this week but luckily the way they are working things at the hospital right now they will be keeping his psychiatrist in the loop. Before they really didn't do that.

We visited him yesterday afternoon and he did really well-very respectful.

When I spoke to psychiatrist this morning he said difficult child had gotten in a bit of a scuffle with another boy. Both said the other started it but the staff was unable to determine who started it. He said it wasn't anything major. He also said somehow (due to the new computer system) that difficult child didn't get one of his doses of clonidine. Let's just say that is one medication difficult child needs in his body!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We didn't get to go visit him today because it was easy child/difficult child's confirmation and the timing didn't work well to fit in a visit. He was upset (trying to hold his tears back) but handled it well, overall.

Again, thank you all for being such great support.

TerryJ2

Aw, Sharon, I know that feeling of walking away, and no matter what you've been through, it is so hard and they look so vulnerable.
I'm sorry he missed his clonidine dose. That stuff works wonders!
I'm sure things will go more smoothly tonight and tomorrow, now that it is straightened out. I'm glad you were able to visit today but sad that he was so sad. That is hard, I know.
Hugs.
And get some sleep.