difficult child says his class is too noisy

shellyd67

difficult child brought home a test yesterday with a very poor grade.

Quite frankly, his scores have not been very good so far.

He told husband and I that his class is so noisy during test time that he cannot concentrate.

I can't imagine but you never know right?

I emailed his teacher this morning explaining mine and husband's concerns and that difficult child said it is so noisy, etc.

I asked if difficult child could take his tests in the hallway.

I hope difficult child is not pulling a fast one on us though. He has been known to tell a whopper of a lie when he doesn't do well on a test !

P

PatriotsGirl

Does he have an IEP? My son's states that he can go take tests in another room because he has the same problem. Matter of fact, my son likes getting "silent" lunch. He says it is quiet and peaceful and he can get his work done. It very well could be true!

mine had a similar problem last year.

and the more ridiculously incomprehensible it became, the more true it was.

an adult finally backed her up. it was too far into the year for us to resolve it last year, but the second we saw she was in a similar situation again this year we insisted on a placement change.

the hallway/seperate room suggestion is a good one...i'd also try to find out if this is a problem all day long.

shellyd67

difficult child just came marching in the door and told me he knows he failed another test today.

I told him I emailed his teacher but still haven't heard back from him yet.

difficult child said he was out sick today and he had a sub.

He asked the sub to sit in the hallway and she said, "No".

I hope the teacher emails me in the AM and I am definetly going to ask that difficult child be retested.

susiestar

Roll With It
Don't assume it is a way to excuse a bad grade. Sensory issues can create HUGE problems. thank you missed a full 1/4 of the school year in 3rd grade and we were THRILLED because that was the most he had been able to handle being in school up to then. He would have days that he came home and just visibly shook because he was in so much sensory overload (not an involuntary tremor, it was due solely to sensory overload) and if I didn't keep him home the next day he ended up a basket case. It would literally make him vomit.

With a LOT of Occupational Therapist (OT) interventions and brushing therapy he is now at the point where his report card had ZERO absences the first quarter (just got it today). He is in 5th grade. The noise your difficult child is talking about may not be noticeable to you or the teacher, but may be HUGE in his mind. Don't bush it off - get him a quiet place to take tests and do his work, and have him privately evaluated for other sensory problems.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
When wm couldn't tolerate the noise level in his classes he was given a pair of headsets to block out the external noises. It worked incredibly for him to stay on task.

Hope things work out soon.