difficult child's art work

Sheila

I've taken photos of some of difficult child's drawings and uploaded them to photobucket. It's interesting to see how he's developed over the years. I believe the first sketch was done in the latter part of 2003, but I can't remember....

He doesn't realize how talented he is. He's a natural talent. Bragging just a bit here.:crazy1:

http://s105.photobucket.com/albums/m...t=100_0483.jpg

difficult child has a wonderful eye for detail. I can see that his art work is a wonderful way for him to excel and showcase his abilities! Do you think it could be incorporated into a career? That would be the best of all worlds!

I worked with a young man several years ago who was an incredible artist like your difficult child. His family had recently immigrated here from Jamaica. They had resided in a very small village in the mountains - and this young man, who was Autistic and nonverbal, had found employment by shimming up trees and knocking down coconuts for his neighbors. Everyone there knew him and he was safe and accepted. He was known most of all for his amazing pencil drawings - and folks would commission drawings from him. Everytime I met with him he was busy at work completing the most amazing, life-like drawings - strictly from memory.

Sad to say, life here in the big city was a little different for him. We arranged a sheltered workshop type job for him during the day so that his sister could work and know that he was safe. But his art was more than a love for him - it was a constant companion.

Andy

Awesome! These are just awesome. It is go good that your difficult child has a hobby and one he is so good at.

susiestar

Roll With It
He certainly is very talented!! As he grows, make sure he knows he can find all sorts of careers that can use this talent.

My husband is a programmer. But he is very creative and good with people, and a very talented artist. So not the typical programmer. He finally got into a dpet at work where he works on proposals for people all over the country. The change in him since he is using his natural talents is great to see. AND he is really adding to the company, and getting awards for his work, esp the artistic stuff.

So there are ALL kinds of openings for use of this talent, and it may lead to something he will really enjoy. Just something to think on as he grows.

susie

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Sheila,

Your difficult child is good. Does he keep a sketchbook?

kt has over the past year taken up drawing & spends a bit of time in the yard or sitting at our island sketching with me. I've supplied her with some stetching supplies along with colored pencils. When she's done I spray her drawings with a fixative. Painting is my favorite past time (very therapeutic) & I'm encouraging ktbug to continue this as it's pretty self calming for her.

With your difficult children talent I'd want to keep his artwork & drawings as keepsakes at the very least.

:its_all_good: Keep up the good work, difficult child! :painter:

daralex

Clinging onto my sanity
difficult child's artwork is fantastic! I am actually a professional artist (who works as a marketing director?!) But difficult child's perspective is phenomenal. Definitely pursue this - it would be a shame to waste such talent. Look into summer programs through art camps and local colleges. We got my difficult child into Coastal Carolina University on a scholarship for an art program for a few weeks last summer. Anything that gives them a pat on the back is great - difficult child has real talent - let him express it to his fullest!!! Congratulations to both of you!!!!

klmno

Sheila- this is great work! I hope he realizes how talented he is and there are a lot of careers that this talent could help him in. You must be very proud!!

TerryJ2

He definitely has talent. Way To Go!
Definitely encourage him. He's at the right age to start pursuing more HS classes and summer programs and consider what he wants to do for college. :)

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
So gifted... he needs to tap that... and focus his energy on it. What a gift, if he wants it!

Star*

call 911........call 911
Sheila,

Brag away. I also draw and I think his ability to grasp perspective is shown in his drawings. The cemetery one was my favorite. He thinks in 3-d. Not everyone that draws can do that naturally. So yes, he has natural talent.

He also seems to have a penchant for Anime.

Aren't these kids amazing? Dude draws too - and has natural talent, (also likes motorcycles) and dogs.

I'm impressed with his work, but mostly with the eye that he has - seeing the top of a tombstone like he did and getting the rest of the perspective to match is incredible.

I hope he keeps up with it. His art could take him places.

B

butterflydreams

What wonderful talent! My difficult child is a drawer too and very talented. I can see changes in his work depending on his state of mind. Before he went into psychiatric hospital his drawings were very violent. The doctors and therapists had him draw alot. He also drew during any free time during the day. Now he doesn't want to draw too much, but it has always been a constant so I know he will go back to it.

Definitely encourage your difficult child! Raw talent is amazing.

Christy

Sheila

No, he doesn't keep a sketchbook. I've bought them, but he rarely uses it -- he'd rather "doodle" on lined paper. Sigh....

I uploaded a couple of more sketches; still can't find the ones I've "put up" for safekeeping....

I'm going to show him your comments in hopes of encouraging him to focus on his talent a bit. (You know Mom doesn't know a darn thing. lol) Thanks for the kind comments.