Do they crash after hypomania?

klmno

difficult child has been a little hypomanic for a couple of weeks- this is nothing new for this time of year, but I didn't worry too much because he's never really "lost it" or done anything illegal this time of year. (He's usually a little hypomanic right after school starts and some in October) He "shut down" shortly after starting his homework tonight, although it didn't really qualify to be called a meltdown. Then, he fell asleep on the couch, I woke him up, he said he doesn't feel well and went to his bed. I just checked on him and he has totally crashed.

I thought my head was exploding over the weekend due to allergies and a bad tooth. Now I'm not so sure if it wasn't a bug. At any rate, I don't think his homework is going to get done tonight. And he was starting off on such a good foot, at least for him. SIGH....

smallworld

He could be sick. You won't know for sure until he wakes up again. Honestly, I wouldn't worry about his homework in a situation like this.

klmno

Thanks, SW. I just hate to see him get behind with the work- but then :)smart:) we are still working with last year's IEP because we haven't change anything for this year yet- we wanted to see how he was doing first. I guess now is as good a time as any for his teachers to learn more about him- if it does turn out that he isn't sick. :beautiful-female:

I'll try not to worry about him getting behind but I do want him to learn more this year...

F

flutterbee

From the ages of 13-16, my son slept A LOT. It wasn't unusual for him to come home from school and crash and be out all night. Even Wynter who used to average 6 hours a night from infancy, needs between 10-12 hours of sleep now.

Not saying that's the case, but just keep it in mind, too.

klmno

Thanks, Heather! Either way (BiPolar (BP) related, typical teen, or a bug) this is preferable to mania. :)

BusynMember

Any changes in his medications? Dose increases? That'll do it. I get hypomanic a lot and it doesn't make me tired. On the contrary, I'm less tired when hypomanic.

klmno

No medication changes. I'm sure that he isn't hypomanic since shutting down- He had been a talkative ball of energy for 2 weeks- but not to the point that I would call him full-blown manic- just hyper. He had been sleeping fairly regular, but tonight, it was like crashing after full-blown mania. He might be sick- I don't recall him ever doing this as a result of "shifting" from hypomania. Although, if he's hypomanic and gets up during the night, that will lead to either a crash the next day or mania, but I honestly don't think he got up last night because I was up pretty late.