Do you do PayPal and if so what has your experience been?

Star*

call 911........call 911
Just thinking of doing this and heard from one member - Thanks u wonderful girl you!

Any thoughts.....Thinking of opening my own account to ACCEPT payments. :tongue:

flutterby

Fly away!
My mom has an account because she's been selling things on Ebay, and also the woodwork that my stepfather does and sells (different site). They have had nothing but a good experience with it. They do take a fee, but I don't know if it's a percentage of the sale or a flat amount. I just remember her saying how nice it is - that the customer makes a payment, they can see it and they can see when it's deposited into their account, usually within less than 24 hours.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
My brother uses it for his side business on ebay, but also for payments he has to make outside of his family's budget, such as payment to my sister for my mom's care, etc. He loves it and has had it for years. I also have an account, though I don't use it much, only when I have buy something on line. It's easy and secure. difficult child opened an account and Paypal somehow ended up withdrawing the money from her account twice, but I think it's just because she didn't understand how it worked. She was able to get her money back with a phone call to Paypal from yours truly!

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Hi Star--

I've been using PayPal and find it very convenient. If you have an email address and a PayPal account--everyone and anyone can send you money...even if they do not have a PayPal account themselves!

By the way, the fees that PayPal charges are percentages based upon your sales volume and the type of account you open. I don't think you are talking about high sales volume, so you will probably just open a regular account. As an example, the fee to receive a payment of $5 is about 45 cents.

trinityroyal

husband and I buy a lot of equipment for our business online, and use PayPal for most purchases. We have also used it to accept payments, and we have been very pleased with the service.

Abbey

Spork Queen
I use it all the time for my business and have never had problems for years. I would say they are very reliable. It also takes the responsibility off of you as you never receive the person's account number, etc.

muttmeister

I've used it for quite a few years for both buying and selling and I love it. Never had any problems.

One heads up though: there are scammers out there who seem to know if you use paypal and I occasionally get an email saying that my paypal account has been frozen or that there is some problem. They make it look very official but, of course, it is just an attempt to steal you information. Most people know this but never click on any link you are sent. Only go directly to the PayPal site and do your business there. I get these things about once a week and I just delete them without opening.

susiestar

Roll With It
I have had a Paypal account since shortly after they opened. I love love love it. I have never had a problem with them. Many sites allow you to pay with paypal and it speeds up the checkout process big time. Many companies and private sellers will ONLY ship to a paypal verified address so it adds a level of security there. The other party never needs to know your name, just your email, so that adds some security also.

I use it on the rare occasions I sell something on ebay and it works very well. I have changed home addresses, banks, even emails and never had a problem. I wish I could say that about any one of the bnkls we have used in the places we have lived.

Muttmeister is right about the emails. If there is an email from paypal there will also be something in your account. At some point in the sign up and verification process you need to respond to an email, or you USED to need to. Otherwise they will NOT email you with"urgent" account things. As with anything else, go to the site before you click on anything.

If you have other questions just ask!

HUGS!!!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
The whole family uses it, never had an issue. In fact they kept bugging me cuz I had some money still in my account but hadn't used it in forever.......finally used it just so they'd stop reminding me. lol

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I've used it for eBay stuff with no real problems at all. difficult child 1's lacrosse team recently opened an account to give booster club members another payment option for stuff. You're welcome to send me money, too! :tongue:

witzend

Yes, I've done that. I make very specific details in my account, such as I won't ship anything until the payment has cleared. I only accept credit card payments. It's been a long time, but I have never had a problem with it. Do remember that there is a fee for accepting payments.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Okay then - I guess I'm progressing forward......HITCH UP THE MULE MA' ......we're headed into the 23rd century. (Or when donkeys fly)

And chicken woman? I will gladly pay you next Tuesday for that Hamburger. ~ Whimpy.

witzend

Be sure to add "handling charges" to whatever you sell. Legally you can't charge for the fees, but you can charge "handling". That will cover your loss on the fees.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Ahhhhhhh Witz you just answered my next question. Soooo psychic.

If I am going to charge $45.00 for an item. $5.00 for shipping. Total is $50.00 my fee is .30 to pay pal and 2.9%
To recoup that exactly I would need to charge
Item - $45.00
Ship - 5.00
Handling 1.80
Or.........$51.80
That way when Pay Pal takes their 2.9% and .30 cents it doesn't come out of MY profit.

Got it. Beats her driving an hour to meet me.

Now on to my next evil plan to corner Deb to get hints on making my web site......mwah hahahahahaha .....MWAHAHAHAHAHAH.........MWAHAHAHAHA.....ahem....hair ball.

LittleDudesMom

Star,

I'm not sure what kind of business you are doing or whether you are selling on ebay or not, but a word of caution if you are selling on ebay. Watch their fees very closely. When they offer "free insertion" offers or No fee's for the first 5 listings, their %'s on sales change. You think you are making out, but in reality, you very often are actually paying more in fees! You need to calculate those increases into your handling charges. I have found also, that when I began advertising shipping within 24 hours of receiving payment, my sales can actually go up because folks are willing to pay for fast shipping and will leave really great feedback when they get their merchandise quickly.

I love using paypal and ebay and made myself a flowchart to keep track of expenses (especially when I started selling for others). Good luck!

Sharon

gcvmom

Here we go again!
The thing about charging more to cover the Paypal %, it just means you pay more to Paypal, though it's still the 2.9%. So yeah, if you absolutely have to net $X from a transaction, then factor what all your fees would be and pad it accordingly. Just be careful that you don't price yourself out of the market in doing that. The whole goal is to sell the item, and what we think it's worth and what people are willing to pay at any given moment can be vastly different. If you haven't already, I'd take a close look at completed sales of similar items in the past couple of weeks to get an idea of what the price points are. Just my 2.4 cents!