Does this happen to anyone else?

Lothlorien

It's cold. It's not horribly cold, right now...about 38, no sun...It's not that windy either.

I have hives on my hands. I usually have them on my feet, too, when it's cold like this. I'm allergic to the cold??? What is up with this? It's not dry skin, because I use lotion (hypoallergenic). I'm sitting here with fingers that are getting to be twice the size they should.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I've heard someone say they are truly allergic to the cold. I haven't been to the doctor with them or seen their reports, but that was their claim. I suposed it could be.

Regardless, tho, I'm sorry. As if you needed this right now...

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Yes, this has happened to me, though I never associated it with the cold per se. It happens to me in the summer as well - regardless of the temps. For no reason, my fingers will just get welts on them, become itchy and blow up. And then kind of sensitive for the rest of the day or more. I just assumed I'd touched something that was an irritant or I was allergic to. If it's really bothersome, can you take some benedryl?

tiredmommy

This has happened to Duckie in the past but only when she goes quickly from hot to cold (jumping in a cold pool on a hot day).

Lothlorien

I went to a scrapbook thing with my friend once and it was in this girl's garage. It was cold in there. I ended up being miserable because my feet and hands got itchy.

I keep a little space heater by my desk to keep my feet warm, else they will get itchy.

I did take an allergy pill and it has gotten better. It's just wierd though. Heat doesn't really bother me, but if I let my hands or feet get too cold for too long, they get itchy and I end up with welts.

We usually take our shoes off when we go to our friends' houses. Either I wear really warm socks or I bring a pair of slippers or both (if it's someone's house who has tile or wood floors).

Pathetic aren't I?

Josie

When I was a child, I was allergic to the cold. I had a doctor's note saying I had to stay in when it was cold. I would get hives from it. I only remember it in elementary school but my mom said it lasted through HS. I don't think I am still allergic but I live in TX and I never have to go out in the cold. :)

It is strange and hard to believe that you can be allergic to the cold.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Have you looked into Raynauds?

I have it -
Not FUN at ALL.
I don't get hives per se - but my fingers and toes turn bluish or red or white....I have the all American fingers.

I think you're allergic to stress.

On my wallet allergy card - it states:
I am allergic to
(lists medications, foods, etc)
then it says
Allergic to stupid people.

It lets me know that a dr. office/nurse REALLY read my allergy card because I hate going into shock....

F

flutterbee

When I get cold, my fingertips go numb and turn this pretty shade of lavender. It hasn't happened near as often since the 'event'.

I get the itching and swelling when I get warm too fast. Like going from winter cold outside to a warm house.

I would try some benadryl cream. It works and you don't get the hangover.

Lothlorien

Thanks GVCmom....who knew there was actually a diagnosis for that?

My hands are still itchy a bit, but are better since I took an allergy pill. I have some major cortisone cream, but I'm only supposed to use it for short periods of time, because it can cause the skin to atrophy. I don't use it on my hands, but I have other creams to use.

Thanks for all the info. I do plan to move to a warmer climate one of these days.

TerryJ2

Gosh, Loth, I've never heard of that. I grew up in MN so you'd think someone, somewhere would have had it.
I didn't know that strong cortisone cream, used for a long time, could cause the skin to atrophy.
The things I learn here ...
Anyway, I hope you feel better.

Abbey

Spork Queen
38 degrees? Shoot...I'd be putting on my swimsuit. It's now -12 (without wind chill) and is supposedly going to be MUCH colder tomorrow. They've already cancelled schools for tomorrow.

Just chant with me...Vegas in 7 days...Vegas in 7 days...If it snows while I'm there I will shoot myself.

Abbey

Lothlorien

Come to think of it....about two weeks ago, it was really, really cold and with the windchill it was about 10 below. I went to the gym in capri gym pants and my legs were itchy from the cold too....only where they were exposed.

Abbey, I would NOT want to live there....It is just way too cold, there.

Terry, maybe people where you live really know how to dress for cold weather and they don't mess around....dunno.

I've experienced this strange phenomenon since I was a kid. It was much more extreme when I was a kid....even with a few trips to the ER, with welts all over my body. Fortunately, now, it seems to be limited to my hands and feet. The Cold Urticaria sounds exactly like what I have. I'm just blown away that there is actually a diagnosis for this.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Loth, nothing surprises me anymore about medical diagnosis's. There's one for everyone, if you just know where to look! :doctor:

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I swear I learn new stuff on this board all the time. :)

Ya know.....I have the issue going from extreme cold to hot/warm. Haven't noticed it the other way around. And fortunately it doesn't last long. So it's not a big issue.

Hope you find some good relief for it soon.

Hugs

K

Kjs

38 !!! that would be a heat wave. It is currently -19 and -39 windchill !! Schools are closed. They closed yesterday afternoon already.

SRL

Loth, are you taking the allergy pills on a regular basis or just when it flares up? You would probably have better preventative coverage if you took them regularly during winter.

Abbey

Spork Queen
Kjs...we need to meet, slide under my heating blanket and have some hot toddies. Wait...that sounds a bit weird.:anxious:

We're now -15 with windchill of -35. Great...and I have to go to work in an hour. I have a little space heater in my office but when I turn it on it blows the breakers in the house. So, I sit with a flashlight next to me in to navigate to the breaker box every few minutes I'm down here.

Lesson to all: DO NOT MOVE TO WISCONSIN!!!

Abbey

Lothlorien

KJS and Abbey, I don't think I'd move to WI, unless there was a hot water spring in my house and a big glass bubble with climate control system surrounding my house. ICK!

SRL, I should take them during the winter for this. I never really thought of it. I usually take it during the spring and fall because of regular allergies.