Early July check in

Wiped Out

Staff member
We've made it through a long holiday weekend! I splurged a bit but not too much (at least I don't think so). Right now I continue to do well in the healthy living area. The exercising and healthy eating are helping. Since April, when husband and I recommitted ourselves to healthy eating and working out I've lost 14 pounds, way more than I had expected to lose and husband has lost 22 pounds. I'm having a lot of fun trying new recipes, I try out 2 or 3 new ones most week.

How is everyone else doing?

Fran

Former desparate mom
I have been consistently yo yo ing.
2 wks disciplined and 2 wks of chaos. I don't do well without a routine and it just hasn't been a routine kind of life lately.

My weight fluctuates about 10lbs up and down through out the year. When I haven't been doing well I tend to see the glass as completely empty. (I'm really fat and dumpy) When I am doing well the glass is almost always seen as full and overflowing. (youthful, dressed smartly etc) Neither is accurate. It should be more balanced.

I continue to walk and did some hefty hiking this weekend but I know I need to add to it.

I wish once you get to goal that you could just be like regular people. Eat moderately, routine exercise and not thinking about it all the time. I just don't do well living like that. The weight always creeps up.

It's great news to hear that you are recommitted and stuck to it until you got to where you are. I love to hear success stories. I am hoping your story will motivate me to not bounce around so much.

Wiped Out

Staff member
My weight fluctuates about 10lbs up and down through out the year. When I haven't been doing well I tend to see the glass as completely empty. (I'm really fat and dumpy) When I am doing well the glass is almost always seen as full and overflowing. (youthful, dressed smartly etc) Neither is accurate. It should be more balanced.

Wow Fran, that is exactly how I feel and I think a lot of people who struggle with weight loss feel.

I do understand the need for routine. I do much better weight loss wise with-routine. For me I even basically eat the same thing for breakfast and lunch each day and then I try to do something more fun with dinner.

Good for you on the hiking this weekend. I understand wanting to reach a goal and just be able to stay there. I don't like having to dwell on food and exercise, wish I could just not think about it too but for me the reality is I have to stay focused with my goal in order to maintain. Some times it is easier than others to maintain that focus.

KTMom91

I make it to water aerobics twice a week. I keep trying for that third class, but life keeps getting in the way.

I haven't lost any weight, but with Farmer's Market every week, I'm doing much better on fruits and veggies. Blueberry season has ended...I'm so sad!

Had an MRI on my right knee Monday, and it's official...I've torn the meniscus. The referral to the orthopedist has been sent. I need to be up and running no later than October 1. I missed so much work last year, people have probably forgotten me, and that's a bad thing for a substitute to be forgotten! If I can't have the surgery soon, I'll wait till November, and be ready to go back to work in January.

trinityroyal

Sharon, Fran, it completely makes sense that a routine helps to keep you on the straight and narrow. I guess good habits are just that, habits. I guess getting out of a good habit is as bad as getting into a bad one.

KTMom, sorry to hear about the torn meniscus, and hope you're able to get in for surgery before the start of the new school year.

I've been trying my best to stick with healthy eating, but I've been giving in to cravings a little bit too often. Polished off an entire box of rocket pops AND one of creamsicles in the last week. Sent the box of ice cream bars off to mother in law's house to keep from finishing them too.

I'm sort of in a holding pattern. I'm not allowed to exercise right now, on OB-doctor's orders, and I'm trying to remind myself that after the babies are born is plenty of time to worry about getting back into shape. Until then, I just need to survive the rest of the pregnancy.

I've been training my replacement at work, and I will be starting maternity leave at the end of July. In a delightful coincidence, husband happened to be off contract, and fully qualified to step into my current role, so my managers have arranged to transfer my contract to him. He will continue working while I'm at home with the babies. Once I'm up and around again, we can decide whether I step back into the job and he looks for something else, or he stays with the job and I look for something else.

We haven't had a chance to work together for a few years, so it's been great. Except for the manager and one or 2 other people, no one knows that we're married. I'm sure the team will figure things out eventually...

Trinity

LittleDudesMom

:bigsmile: Hello Ladies!

Sharon, thanks for checking in with everyone. You are to be congratulated on your progress :bravo: along with your husband!!!

Fran, I think we can all relate to the "two weeks on, two weeks off" style of living! I think you look great (I saw beautiful Fran a couple weeks ago while she was passing through my hometown) :cutie_pie:!!

KTMom, good for you and water fitness classes - you and I share that in common :swimming:. I have found that varying my routine really helped. Try and add some circuit training and, if you knee allows, add in 15 to 30 minutes of some other cardio on the days you are not in the water. Hope you are able to get the surgery scheduled favorably.

Trinity, good to hear from our board mother to be! As long as those rocket pops and cream cycles are mixed with some nice fresh summer fruit and veggies, you are forgiven :winks:! Good news on the job front for you and husband!

Now, to me. Thanks for all the encouragement in response to my last post. I've gotten back on the exercise track, but only as it relates to water fitness classes. My arm and shoulder are doing better, but not 100%. I'm a little nervous to start the weight training until I know it's healed for good. easy child is teaching like crazy this summer (saving money for apartment living) and I'm working out at least every other day.

Still adjusting the eating back to good - but it's easier with all the great fresh summer fruits and veggies. I'm enjoying peppers, tomatos and fresh herbs from my garden!

Wanted to also let you all know that we now have a healthful living archive and I have archived many of the helpful posts. I've also archived our original recipe post. I will start another sticky post for recipes and I expect you, Sharon, to post some of your recipes since you've been trying new things this summer!

Keep at it everyone :woohoo:!

Sharon

Wiped Out

Staff member
Mary-I love farmers markets, I should go more often. I'm so sorry for all your pain with your knee. Take things easy.

Sharon-How cool that husband can step in for you! I think it's o.k. to indulge, like you said after the babies are born you can get back into shape.

Sharon-Sounds like you are getting back on track. Injuries can take so long to heal, drives me crazy! I just posted 3 recipes and will try to do more soon!:)

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I've decided I need to go BACK on vacation! :rofl: Since returning from our "camping" trip, I find that my clothes are a little bit looser now and some of my muscles are decidedly firmer from all biking, walking, hiking, kayaking, etc.

Simply put, when I'm on the road, I eat better and I'm more active. Once I get home, I'm overwhelmed with the chaos and all my responsibilities and I feel trapped.

I really need to work on that!

LittleDudesMom

GVC,

we'll hold down the fort while you go back into the woods!

I think we can all understand getting caught up in the chaos and the drama of life.

No one said this was going to be easy, huh? Just keep those pants loose girl!

Sharon

M

ML

I continue to exercise (walking and trampolene) but have slowed down a little as the heat of summer is finally hitting us. After 3 months I have lost 7 pounds and have 5 more to go. Very slow but I feel like I am making better choices. I also love the great produce of summer. Thanks again all of you for being here.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Gvcmom-I wish I could figure a way to lose weight while vacationing!

ML- Slow but sure is the best way to go! Glad you are doing so well!