Eclipse....

KTMom91

I did. I was at physical therapy, and everybody went outside to watch. The office ladies had several squares of smoked glass to look through - I forgot the glasses Hubby had gotten me - and we took turns peeking at the sun.

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
Yes I saw it for a moment. I was doing my daily walk with my walking partner and it was really cloudy but had no plans to look up anyway. When we got back to the building she saw a few people she knew and they let us look through their glasses. I planned to see it on TV but it was cool to see.

mof

Momdidntsignupforthis
Yes! We had a BBQ with friends and kids were out of school!

Wasn't 100percent here but felt the temp drop about 8 degrees!

Now back to the grind!! Lol

ksm

I did the pinhole in the cereal box. It worked well, and I am glad I did it that way. With all the talk of fake iOS glasses, I would be scared to trust them. It felt cooler than I expected...the temperature must have dropped about 15 degrees.

It did not get as dark as I thought it would. We were a little south of the line of totality. I had heard we would be at 93%. I noticed the light changed to a different hue... But did not seem much darker than usual.

Ksm

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
We were at 86% totality. It was partially cloudy. I noticed the light take on a strange, sort of reddish hue. I went outside and stood under a tree to admire all the little crescent shadows cast by the leaves.

I'm old enough to remember the last eclipse when Chicago was in the path of totality. Today's eclipse will be the last of my lifetime. The last eclipse was quite awe-inspiring: the thing I remember most was how the birds started singing as totality approached, the sudden silence at totality, and the singing starting up again as it grew lighter.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I was at work... Took my glasses in, checked it out a few times. Got a pretty grainy picture via cell phone through my glasses.

I missed the shadows as there are NO trees near my building.

Kathy813

Staff member
We were close to totality but it was more like twilight that didn't last very long. If I didn't know it was an eclipse, I would have thought it was just a storm coming. I did have the special glasses and it was cool to see. Our school district kept the kids an extra hour and gave out glasses to all of the kids.

runawaybunny

Administrator
Staff member
Went to an eclipse sighting gathering at a nearby state park. Hundreds of people, mostly school kids looking at home made cereal box projection images.

Didn't get dark here. My husband, daughter and I were looking through $2.00 NASA approved glasses and and we saw the sun which looked like a crescent moon.

60 percent eclipse here in So Calif during the sunny day eclipse. Couldn't recognize it was even happening if you weren't already aware it was happening. The skies get darker here when it's cloudy.

Lil

We were in the very center of the path of totality and it was amazing. Really, I had thought it was being overblown....but it was really an extremely cool experience. We would go out and look every 15 to 20 minutes, watching the moon take a bigger and bigger bite out of the sun. It was amazing how so little of the sun kept the light bright and the heat hot. Finally, at about 90% it had become noticeably cooler and the light took on this odd look...the colors just different, more saturated. Watching as the sun slowly disappeared altogether, then removing the glasses to see the amazing sight of the corona only visible around the moon - just so cool. It looked just like the photos, like a hole in the sky. You could clearly see Venus, a planet you can almost never see. It was not as dark as I expected, though I have had friends who were in rural areas say it was like night there. The street lights and light pollution where I was made it more like late twilight. The cicadas and crickets took up their calling and it was as cool as it is at night. After two minutes plus, the "diamond ring" effect began, the glasses went back on, and it the reverse occurred.

I thought the whole thing was being exaggerated - but it was so cool I may have to drive a few hours southeast to see the next one.

Lil

My son was smack dab in the middle of it. Schools were closed dueto too many visitors.

Yep, right through Missouri. :) We got the day off because of the expected crowds. Not that many showed as it turned out, but I enjoyed the paid leave. lol They didn't close most of the schools here. Most of them stocked up on enough glasses for every child and took the kids out onto the playgrounds or ball fields for the big event. Of course, the bigger the schools, the harder that would be to do.