Embarrassing Bad night

dreamer

I was just thinking that at least at home it is more private- less embarrassing, less humiliating, where positive role modeling could happen. - in a loving environment, where maybe it will feel less critical and harsh. (even if the teammates are not harsh, a person can still perscieve them to be harsh)
He could then practice and master the skill?
And like I said, too- if he has been in school all day already trying to hold himself together- he might not be able to continue to hold together thru sports time as well on top of a whole day of school. I am thinking learning the physical moves for a sport, plus the learning of the rules plus the emotional and social parts might kind of be too many things trying to be mastered all at one time all after a full school day. He might be at his limit. Overload.

lordhelpme

i have the same concerns for my 6 yr old difficult child. i think right now after school sport or even chess club are out of the question cuz he just can't deal with-losing. part is a maturity thing and the main part is definitely do to whatever is going on in his brain.

we are just sticking to cub scouts for right now and if we have any extra money maybe martial arts but team sports are out for the next yr or 2.

Luminosity

Team sports didn't work for my difficult child. We put him in Karate which is a group class but and individual sport. He enjoys swimming as well and has expressed interest in joining the swim team. He didn't like team sports because he took things to literal. If the coach said protect this spot he wouldn't move even when all the other kids were running around. My difficult child is now 11. He hasn't learned to ice skate and just last summer learned to ride a bike. He has no physical disability preventing him from these activities. He also loves board games but hates to lose and also hates to win because he then feels guilty. The only board game he will play is chess and has played that since age 3. He was on the chess team at school. He has never enjoyed gym class either. Last summer he started shooting hoops with his step brother - we have a net outside - and difficult child seemed to gain some confidence. He came home this year announcing he had joined the dodge ball team. It just took him a little longer to grasp the "team" sport idea I guess. We didn't push him when he was younger to stick to soccer and baseball because it frustrated him too much. He loves to read and helps me garden. It worried me at first but then I realized that if it is meant to be it will happen. I am babbling sorry. I am just trying to say don't force your son if he is unhappy. It isn't a failure but a learning experience that can be revisited at a later time.

crazymama30

Team sports do not work well for my difficult child either. Soccer and football, both bad. Wrestling has been good, and he has not even pinned anyone at school, thank god. He needs lots of action and no breaks, and wrestling is that way. Soccer and football have too many breaks, and too much interaction with others. He can only concentrate on himself, and sometimes this is hard enough.