End of week two

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I promise I won't do this every week, but figured for those who have upcoming knee replacements or those who understand the pain, it might be helpful.

So, it will be two weeks tomorrow since my replacement was performed. The chronic pain in my knee that I've had for years s gone. It is replaced by the surgical pain, which I know will go away. That's the good news...at least I know there is an end to this crud.

In the meantime, my range of motion in that knee has increased to 83 degrees as of Friday. The goal is 90 degrees by Monday. Unfortunately, my insurance doesn't cover PT everyday, so I'm on my own four days a week. It helps to have difficult child or someone with me while doing the exercises because it's motivating. difficult child s the best because she makes me breathe and gives me good ideas to distract me (like playing my iPod while walking). I won't get my staples out until next Friday, the 27th, which stinks because they're crying me out, the skin is dry and itchy at the incision.

I've graduated from the walker to the cane and can even go without the cane in a small spot, say if I'm making coffee or brushing my teeth. I no longer need the shower chair as the shower bar is enough. I shaved [most] of my legs last night for the first time and, Ahhhh, it felt wonderful to have smooth legs once again. Every day there is a sign of progress in at least one area.

That said, however, the pain is still pretty intense at times and I'm still on my regimen of pain killers and muscle relaxers round the clock. In the evenings in particular, I get incredible muscle spasms in my thigh and calves...the skin is sensitive to the touch, but it feels like there is an army of ants building castles in there, it just hurts so much. So, H does some gentle massage and I can use moist heat for muscle aches while icing the heck out of my knee. Icing is the big blessing here. I can do 20 min on and 20 min off round the clock. You cannot ice enough and it really does help, especially the hot burning sensation near the incision. Ice is my best friend.

So, I'm feeling optimistic that the pain will be worth it in the end. I've certainly had my doubts, what with all the pain and swelling, but my PT was correct: every day I have to notice the subtle changes and improvements taking place. She also told me not to worry about taking the pain medications, to just take them so I can improve. So that's what I do.

Thanks again for all the good positive thoughts and juju you've sent my way. I try to focus on that when I'm crying, lol. xo

Lothlorien

Use vitamin e oil and coco butter around the incision site to help with the itch.

I'm glad you are noticing the subtle differences in your pain and that your rom is increasing! It will be worth it! You will feel so much better in a couple of weeks!

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Use vitamin e oil and coco butter around the incision site to help with the itch.

I'm glad you are noticing the subtle differences in your pain and that your rom is increasing! It will be worth it! You will feel so much better in a couple of weeks!

After the staples come out, this is just what I intend to do! Can't put anything on them till then, however, wah. Thanks!

buddy

Wonderful news! Good for you working so hard at it. funny, that two weeks went fast for ME, LOL!!! It really feels like you just went in..but I bet it feels like a long time to you. I hope you feel the relief I have heard so many say they feel.

YIPEE for you!

DDD

Thanks for the update, H&R. I hope each week gets better and better and better. You remain in my thoughts for sure. Hugs. DDD

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
It's the little ways in which I can do for myself that make me aware of subtle improvements each day. Also, other peoples reactions to what or how much I can do makes me aware as well. Dressing myself, being able to swing my leg up onto the bed, not using a stool to rest my leg while sitting, putting on my own socks, etc. it's the little things.

I'm so happy so much of this is behind you, once you get the stitiches out you'll feel like a new woman. You doing great!...hugs.

So glad to hear that you're doing well, able to do a bit more every day. You have a wonderful, positive attitude and lots of determination. I know this will speed your recovery. Hoping you're pain free asap!!

Thinking of you, sending lots of healing thoughts your way... Hugs... SFR

Star*

call 911........call 911
Thinking about you today! Glad to hear you are making such wonderful improvements and were able to shave your legs. DF didn't try that - didn't ask him if he had either - sure he didn't. He did get the okay to go in for the other replacement. So we're going back in next month for #2.

If you want a copy of the exercises the PT at the "home" gave him? I'd be glad to mail you a copy. They were really excellent exercises. He has nearly full range mobility now. SFR said a lot - Your attitude has a ton to do with your recovery and you are the can-do woman!

Congratulations!
Oh and a little helper called STOP PAIN sold at CVS and Walgreens in the pain aid aisle - in a roll on is a WONDERFUL help. (we use it for almost every ache) FYI -

GLAD to hear you are feeling better.

Hugs & Love
Star

Jody

Jo,

It is wonderful to hear that you are progressing. I very much like to hear about your updates. I am very nervous about having this done, but excited as to what I am going to be able to get out and go do again. Hang in there!!! Keep me posted please.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Thanks star!

Jody, the staples were removed today and already I feel better in terms of being able to walk and bend more. The insides still hurt a lot, but I'm taking less pain relievers. Next week I begin outpatient PT and I got the okay to drive, if I'm comfortable and not high as a kite on oxy, lol. doctors words.

You'll do great!