Feminine Question - Concerned

susiestar

Roll With It
Ok, I need the wisdom of the Board to help with this one.

What do you do for areolas that have suddenly become very rough and reddish looking? We have a doctor appointment coming up, but this just seems very strange.

I advised J to put some very gentle cream on it until we see the doctor. Don't want to use cortisone cream or whatever until we have some idea.

The only things I could find on the web say possible skin cancer or Inflammatory Breast Cancer. She is so young, I just CAN'T think about that.

J says it is uncomfortable. It was one breast, then the other started. She does have a history of eczema, hence the use of the gentle cream just in case that helps.

Thanks ladies

Marguerite

It sounds to me like a variation on normal breast development. She's too young for breast cancer, unless they've been developing already for some time. And at her age, her breasts are likely to be sore because they are developing. I remember being sore for years. I also remember when the areola began to colour up and get larger and redder. I had a small mole that was not quite in the middle, a little to one side. I had a private bet going with myself to see which side of my chest the mole would end up on. It's right in the middle! With breast development, it's rarely even. One side is often bigger than the other, develops sooner than the other, may even develop slightly differently. I have one nipple that never everted properly, when easy child was a baby she was very tiny and I had to use a nipple shield on that side until she was older. I would find my kids would prefer my 'good' side when they were tiny, then as they got bigger and hungrier they preferred my inverted side because it also had a faster flow rate. The exception was difficult child 3 - he was born with a huge appetite and matching capacity, never needed a nipple shield. Although I was tempted to use one, that kid had a suction that could have stripped wallpaper. Now THAT sent my nipples really red and chafed!

Certainly talk to the doctor about it, but I remember we used to put lanolin on our nipples when we were breastfeeding or getting ready to, and any broken skin or rough skin, it was out with the lanolin jar. Of course, lanolin is not always the best option, some people are allergic to it, but it is great for dry skin if you're not allergic. Failing that - vegetable oil. You can always use the stuff from the kitchen (if it's good enough to consume, it's got to be good enough for your skin) but if you want to splurge, buy a bottle of sweet almond oil and use that. I keep the main bottle in the fridge and just decant a small amount to a jar for regular use, topping up my small jar from the stash in the fridge. Nut oils can and do go rancid out of the fridge (or they do in our climate). Letting them get contaminated especially with your skin oils will speed up the process.

Marg

LittleDudesMom

Susie,

if she is prone to eczema, I would venture a guess that it is really dry skin. It is not unusual for it to be concentrated there. I actually had a winter where my nipples were really dry and itchy.

Vaseline is always an option. Also the Body Shop (not bath and body) has a line of cream/ointments called Hemp. They are the richest stuff out there. Or, there is also udder cream which you can usually find in the drug store.

I would have her put something really moisturizing on them several times a day until the doctor appointment. Do they itch?

Sharon

crazymama30

Even though she is young, have the doctor check them. Better safe than sorry.

The dermatologist I saw a month ago for my super dry hands told me plain old vaseline actually does a really good job at moisturizing.

Jena

Hi

I would try some vitamin 3 on it, i've had this problem believe it or not. Years ago when I was nursing difficult child. I had to put vitamin e on it, I tried vaseline yet it irritated it more.

good luck

skeeter

I was going to suggest Vitamin E also - break open the capsule and massage the oil on. It's sticky, but it does work.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
No strong cleansers and Vitamin E or neosporin ointment until the Dr checks them out.

Incidentally, I knew a girl who had IBC at 16 years of age. When it comes to that particular form of breast cancer, age is completely irrelevant. That said, it is unlikely that is what J has mainly because IBC is often more commonly seen around the breast and not necessarily only on the aereola.

My difficult child has had irritation on her breasts and nipples many times and one time it was due to the medication Risperdal. It increaased her body's production of progesterin and she began excreting milk. The secretion dried on her nipples and in her bra and after a while it caused an irritation. One time she even developed mastitis from the irritation.

M

ML

Nothing to add except support. Please let us know how the apt goes. Hugs and love xoxo ML

susiestar

Roll With It
Even though J is only 13 her breasts are already a daughter size. The GYN says they are fully developed. The cream she is using is one I make that she has used for years - shea butter, emu oil and pumpkin seed oil. She has used it for her eczema when NOTHING else worked, so I figured it was worth a try.

thanks all, I feel reassured. We WILL have the doctor check it out because the IBC doesn't care about age and neither does skin cancer. And that is what comes up on every internet search I run about this.

Lothlorien

She's a daughter at 13? Oh the poor thing!

You may want to get the breastfeeding pads to give her a little comfort between her and her bra, if her bra is irritating her. Plus, I would try coco butter, but the "swizzle stick" not the tub. For some odd reason, the swizzle stick works so much better thena the tub of cocoa butter.

susiestar

Roll With It
Loth - poor thing is right. She has already said she may want a reduction. with her back problems the doctor has said we may want to consider it when she is through puberty. The doctor thinks the ins co will even pay, as she is quite endowed.

As she puts it, "The breast fairy didn't visit Gma, or Mom. So she visited me 3 times to make up for it." I had to laugh at the description, but it kinda fits. I just worry about this rough patches. And her back.

TerryJ2

Aw, poor thing!
Yes, ins. will cover reduction. I knew a plastic surgeon who did a lot of breast reductions on teens. She never went below a "B" though because it's too big of a change.
Good luck with-the appointment. Let us know what happens.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Aw, sending hugs. I work with a woman who had breast reduction and after her insurance made her complete a round of physical therapy she had the surgery covered by her insurance. I hope everything that is going on ends up being something simple. Hugs~

Marguerite

In Australia, breast reduction isn't considered to be cosmetic so it is covered by our national insurance. At least, it was last time I looked. Breat reconstruction following cancer is also covered, for us.

So if that is covered here, then it should be similar for you?

Marg

susiestar

Roll With It
Marg, I haven't really looked into it. She is only 13 and is still growing. So I am not sure what is covered. I know it depends on your insurance coverage (not everyone has the same coverage, and some people have no coverage - which is a big black eye for our nation, in my opinion.

When it is safe and the right time we will have it done, but she needs to finish growing as far as I know. At least that is what the pediatrician says.

Glad it is covered in your country. Large breasts are very hard on your back. They also make immature males make idiot comments, and even have entire conversations with your chest. Which is tough to handle when you are a child.

Marguerite

Poor darling. It really does have a huge impact on how we develop emotionally, people make really nasty assumptions on a girl's intelligence and moral standing, based purely on her breast development.

My best friend's niece had a breast reduction when she was 16. The girl's sister may be heading the same way. And daughter in law is another possible candidate - she's a darling, very shy, and VERY well-endowed, with a tiny wasit that just emphasises it. Her back hurts a lot and she gets very tired. It also costs her a fortune in bras, even when she's properly fitted for a good bra, it only lasts a month. Often less.

Your phrase about lack of good health insurance being "a big black eye" for your nation - people often say that being very well endowed can lead to two black eyes, especially when you try to run! So what does this say about your insurance people?

You sound like you've got your daughter's emotional and physical welfare very high in your priorities and attention. The best you can do is teach her to have confidence in herself, in her brains, and in herself as an individual, not just as a woman. When a male talks to her chest, she needs to be able to feel in control and strong, not to let it belittle her in any way. After all, SHE isn't the one being foolish!

Easier said than done, though...

Good for you, for being a strong, supportive mum.

Marg

susiestar

Roll With It
Marg, the whole "talking to the chest" thing is one that not many people do often to Jess. She will tell even adults that "I am up here. Those will not respond."

As a child all the other moms told their girls they were pretty, or adorable. If I hear my exSIL say it one more time to my niece I will GAG. We told Jess she was a "strong, smart girl". Oddly enough, her bff was told something similar - though they did not meet until first grade!

I just hate to see little girls who grow up thinking their only worth is in being "pretty". It makes life much harder for them, esp if they feel that is all people value in them. Had a friend who literally looked like a Barbie doll, but with better make-up. Even by 7th grade adult males would whistle if she walked anywhere at all. Or give her phone numbers if we were sitting at a restaurant eating. Even a fast food restaurant. She is SO SMART, and very funny, and just a neat person. And is a very hard worker. But it has been a hard road for her.

I saw that, and SWORE my daughter would KNOW we valued her for more than her looks. Hence, "strong, smart girl".