Finding a neuropsychologist

smallworld

It's definitely worth asking the pediatrician for names of reputable neuropsychologists. Neuropsychologists can also be found at children's and university teaching hospitals.

klmno

I second Smallworld- if you have confidence in your sister's pediatrician as a doctor, then you could ask him/her. If she has been to a psychiatrist or counselor that you have faith in, they could recommend one. In absence of any type of doctor or professional, you could contact whatever local children's hospital (reputable) is available and ask them. Personally, I wouldn't go thru the school unless you have no other choice (done privately outside the school, they can be costly- but worth it).

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I did find ours through the local children's hospital. We just finished 6 hours of testing over 3 days with her (plus difficult child did many hours of testing at school). Won't get the results for a week or two, so I can't say yet how good she's going to be for us -- but the intake meeting seemed very thorough!

BestICan

This community rocks.
Thought I'd throw my two cents in since I've had a rough time finding a neuropsychologist and I'm in a huge city!

I have found that most people don't know what I'm talking about when I ask for a neuropsychologist. My insurance company didn't even know what I was talking about (Over and over I said, "No, not a neurologist. A neuropsychologist.")! I talked to difficult child's neurologist and got a name and a referral. (That was denied by insurance...long annoying story.)

My suggestions, if you're having trouble, would be to:
-call a pediatric neurology practice in your area and ask who they usually refer to
-google "neurobehavioral clinic" plus your city name
-call your insurance company, cross your fingers, and ask
-while you're on the phone with the insurance company, ask if you should be pursuing coverage through MEDICAL insurance or BEHAVIORAL HEALTH insurance. I am currently getting bounced back and forth between the two for my difficult child. I'm a warrior mom ping-pong ball...

Good luck,

Jen