Fire

gcvmom

Here we go again!
It's good to be Home, Sweet Home!

THANK YOU EVERYONE for the prayers and good juju this weekend! We're so grateful to the firefighters and police for protecting our property -- God Bless them all!

Last edited:

KTMom91

What great pictures! They really show how close you guys were to the fire...I'm so glad you're all safe!

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
Glad you are safe and relatively unscathed....... smart cookie with the tile roof..... saw on a morning show two neighbors...... one who's home was completely destroyed and right next door one left relatively untouched by fire...... the one untouched had just invested in a fire-resistant roof...... guess those roof guys will be selling a few more of those in rebuilding efforts.......

nvts

GVC! So glad you came out relatively unscathed!

Here's an admission. I've watched these fires over the years on the news many, many times and I have to say that your pictures actually made it more "real" to me than any news coverage ever has.

You know, you look at these things on the tv and it seems so ethereal, so far away (I'm in NY) and so surreal that you don't see it in its true perspective. Now you see it from a right in front of you perspective and it just seems so much more...right there, know what I mean?

You know, the news shows it from a parking lot of a supermarket with zoom lenses, etc. or an air shot so everything seems very distant. Now you see it from "here's my backyard" and it really blows your mind.

Glad all of you are safe and back home "snug as a bug in a (flame retardant) rug"!

Beth

Abbey

Spork Queen
Oh, GVC...how scary that must have been for you and your family. I'm so glad you are all safe and your house is in good standing. Great photos.

Abbey

The photos are amazing!!! Thanks for posting them. I agree with NVTS that it just seems so much more "real" when looking at your photos.

I'm just glad you and your family and home are safe!!! Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers... WFEN

susiestar

Roll With It
I am so gald your home was spared, esp as close as the fire clearly came. Thank you for sharing the fire pics with us. It truly does make it seem more "real" to us. I know how scary it can be driving down the highway after a fire passes adn it is on both sides of the major freeway (last year a fireman in a 2 stoplight town about 10 miles from us set about 6 or 7 fires before they caught him - not enough "excitement" in his job he said) and I just can't imagine how scary it was to pack with all that smoke.

by the way - DON'T DRIVE UP AROUND THE ROADBLOCKS NEXT TIME!!! You nearly gave me a heart attack when I read about you sneaking into the neighborhood to get in to see how things were!!!!!!! We worry, ya know? What would you say if difficult child had done something like that??? Huh?? I thought so!

Glad you are back home and safe. Hope all the neighbors were also so fortunate.

DDD

Like everyone else I'm delighted you are alive and well and that your home was saved. The pictures really are terrific.

For our information, how does one recover from "pink" garage doors etc.?
Does the inside of the house smell like soot? Does insurance cover the
costs of getting back to normal? Landscaping losses?

I live in hurricane land and know how our disaster recovery is...just curious about how one bounces back in California. Hugs. DDD

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Thanks everyone :)

DDD, if you hit the pink stuff with water and a broom/brush within 12 hours or so if it being dropped, it seems to come off fairly easily. Anything remaining beyond that time is acting much more stubborn.

The fire department(s) (some from different cities) are back this morning attempting to hose off my house, so we'll see if their hoses have any affect. I just hope it doesn't blast my new paint job off!

I talked to my painter today and he said he could send someone over this weekend to power wash the house at no charge! Maybe between the fire hoses and the painter's crew we'll get this all handled and I won't have to complete my insurance claim. Yes, insurance does cover the damages, less my deductible of $1,000. If my plants end up dying, I'll have to add them to the list of casualties for the claim. But what I read from the PhosChek website, it sounds like it's not too, too bad for the plants (just deposits some salts in the soil, and other components break down into fertilizer-type nutrients the plants can actually use. Although our native plants that I've put in the yard don't usually do too well with fertilizer -- too rich for them).

The inside of the house did pretty well. The garage smells the worst, but I think it will be ok in time. It's mostly junk in there anyway.

And insurance does cover the evacuation expenses 100% (no deductible), so I've already got a check on its way :)

Never a dull moment around here...

witzend

You could be a photojournalist! Would you mind if I send a copy of these to our local news crew? We have no idea of what it's like to live through that (year after year) here.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Those were fabulous photos. I think I'll stick to tornados. OMG I'd have been scared outta my mind. So glad you came thru with only pink stuff to deal with.

Hugs

Star*

call 911........call 911
GCV mom,

Thank you for having the courage to take pictures during what was a horrific and uncertain time for your family. I agree with Witz - you could be a photo journalist. The pictures were very telling in their story - and scary for me as I've never seen a wildfire of those proportions.

The one that you took of the plane (1st shot) that was off in the distance tells quite a story. Man vs. nature - not much chance.

I would like to think that the line where the fire stopped is a prayer line - because you know we were all here keeping our best thoughts for you and your family. (Considering the closeness of the flames? Pretty good board powers) lol

I'm so thankful you didn't loose more than you did. I dig the pink garage door - lol. Matches your pink driveway.

Hugs
Thanks
Star

DDD

Thanks for the info. It's interesting how different natural disasters impact families in one part of the USA and the other citizens have no clue.

Personally......I'll keep hurricanes! :D

Glad all is well with you and Marcie. DDD

witzend

Hey, it may rain a lot here, and sometimes too much. But we don't have big bugs or tornadoes or hurricanes or wildfires that burn down entire cities. I don't know how you guys do it.

Star*

call 911........call 911
I'M MOVING TO WITZ' STATE!!!
I love snow
I LOVE cloudy overcast days and rain - love it.
I do not mind the cold
I love the ocean

See..I should not be here in SC.

Mayapple5

I'm so glad you are safe. Ditto what Beth said, the pictures make it so real to us when they are from someone close to us, and those of us here have a bond, like family here. Glad you're able to back in your own beds now.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
You Californians are crazy!!! Said jokingly.... As someone who was in the SFO quake and many other smaller quakes. It is hard not to love the State!

I am so glad you are safe, your house is safe and you got some great photos to put in your memory book!
husband and I used to laugh when we lived in Idaho, it was listed in National Geo as one of the States with the Least amount of natural disasters. An avalanche here and there in the mountains and a wild fire once in awhile, in the wild!

Thanks for the pics