Flying down to Fl for family program next wk

rebelson

Got a call 4hrs ago from son's psychologist. He basically told me that he is adding me to the list of parents who will be attending the 3 day, all day session (W, Th, Fr). Said he knows that it's a plane fare and such but added 'if your son were hospitalized with an illness, I'm sure you'd be there.'

:faint: I felt like fainting! I was driving home with my kids when his call came through.

I have my plane fare, car rental reservation, sitters for my kids here...and a friend is letting me stay with her for 3 nights.

The Dr. already emailed me the full 3 day schedule, and questionnaire that I need to fill out as to what I wish to talk about during session. Are these family sessions THAT helpful? He gave that impression. Man! I hope so. It is situated in an Embassy Suites, on the ocean. Sounds very nice and maybe due to that environment, it will be fairly 'relaxed'.

Cuz, I am scared to DEATH. Why am I nauseas and full of anxiety from this?

I know my son needs me, and this will be helpful for both of us. There is no way I would NOT go, but I'm very apprehensive, all kinds of adjectives right now. And likely will be until it's over.

Last edited:

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
Rebelson:

I think it's a good idea to attend a family session since this is his first time in rehab (I believe). It's good for him to see you are supportive and good that you'll get to visit with him too!

And you can't beat a hotel on the ocean!

Don't worry about what to say or do. The pressure will not be on YOU or him either for that matter. It most likely will be some groups, some speakers, etc. My husband and I have done this a few times but it was in state when he was younger. I think you'll learn a lot! I know that I did.

toughlovin

I think what will be really helpful is meeting other family members going through the same thing.... I have found that really helpful in the past.

worried sick mother

I think this sounds awesome, I sure wish I could do that with my son. You will probably learn a lot of valuable information. I understand your anxiety but just try to be yourself and get the most out of this experience. I look forward to hearing about it and sending you a prayer.

Nancy

I have found the family sessions extremely helpful, very emotionally draining but worth every minute of it. Don't be anxious, go with the attitude that you will learn a lot and things will never be the same once everything is out on the table....you may feel like a load has been lifted from your shoulders. The counselors are there to help facilitate, trust them.