Generic Topamax?

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Has anyone tried this? I take Topamax and the pharmacy keeps asking if I want generic?
The other day they were out of non-generic, so they gave me 4 days worth of generic.

I take mine in the a.m. by the next morning when I woke, my vision was blurred and I was foggy. I was agitated all day and overall felt like crud!
It was like when I was on too high of a dose of Topamax.
The day after I went back to non-generic I felt fine?

When I had said to the Pharmacy prior to this that I wanted to stay on regular Topamax, he kind of looked at me like I was crazy!

It is $50 vs $10!

I took it with no thought that it would not work, I wanted it to work. I want to pay $10.

I know a lot of Docs/Pharm. discount the idea of generic vs non-generic.

But I am think there is there something to it.

KTMom91

Miss KT said she felt a difference in one of her medications when she got the generic instead of the name, but I don't understand why. Isn't the formula supposed to be the same?

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
I do take Lamotrigine instead of Lamictal and the only thing I don't like is the fact that it dissolves quickly and falls apart if you need to split it.
If I do not swallow it fast enough it starts dissolving in my mouth, which I really don't mind much,
I found many articles on line from people who say they did have reactions from generic.
It is interesting.

Wiped Out

Staff member
I didn't even know there was a generic Topamax until I went to the pharmacy this afternoon and they told me there would be a $30 co-pay for difficult child's Topamax. I said there shouldn't be a co-pay and that is when I was told a generic was available.

difficult child will try it in the morning and we are crossing our fingers it is as good as the regular. He does take the generic Lamictal and had no problem with that.

Steely

I have heard from many p-docs that generic sometimes is not as effective as brand. It is not a myth, it is true. There is a fair amount of documentation about it. I would stick with name brand if you notice the difference.

Hugs! :peaceful:
Steely